6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

A few questions/concerns before pulling trigger on first diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 PM
250FordTruck
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions/concerns before pulling trigger on first diesel

My 01 5.4 F250 died a few weeks ago. I've been looking at the new trucks for a few years patiently waiting for the perfect truck at a good price to fall in my lap. With the 01 out of commission I've been looking harder.

I've got 3 local options that I've looked at and when comparing them came up with a few questions. I figured I's post them hear to see what the real life experts have to say.

1st truck is a 15 Lariat. The interior is in very nice condition. As in unbelievably nice condition. 4 things keeping this from being a no brainer buy it now truck.
1 111,000 miles. I know this is a diesel but that is a lot of miles in 4 years. It shows something like 3400 hours driving and 950 idling. Seems like a lot of idling. Opinions on this?
2. No navigation. Not really a big deal but it seems like this is almost standard nowadays.
3. No remote start. Easily added from what I've read.
4. No heated/AC seats. Not trying to be a pansy but leather is cold/hot in the extreme temps.

2nd truck is better on paper 2016 Lariat with 46000 miles.. Has pretty much all the major options. Biggest drawback is the interior reaks of smoke (just came to the dealers lot from an auction and hasn't been detailed), has a lot of minor scratches (like the previous owner had a dog, is from Canada (road salt?), and the biggest drawback is it is lifted 6, maybe 4 inches. Another thing that stuck out is the driveshaft was rust/corrosion free as if it were just replaced. I've never seen such a clean driveshaft on even an almost new vehicle. Like it had a black coating on it. The shaft going to the front looked normal. Was this something new for 2016, a replacement, or something to so with the lift? Seems like a clue that something isn't right with this truck.

3rd truck seems good. i don't know much about this one yet. A 14 Lariat with what looks like all the major options. The major negative is it has a plow. I know these trucks are made to work but how much negative is a plow? Plus it has a little rust beginning on he bed support rails?

Thanks for any input.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:23 PM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Truck 1, too many hours and miles for me and I also like the extras that are missing. At least the previous owner wasn't a slob.

Truck 2, I once bought a car with smoked interior, never got the stink out, never again! Owned by a slob.

Truck 3 may have had significant salt exposure, that is terminal cancer if that is the case.

My opinion is that you should double down on your search, you are doing a good job sorting it out. If you find the truck that hits all the marks, waste no time because it will sell quickly.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:33 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm no expert, just one with opinions.
You didn't specify any details: 3/4 ton /1 ton. SRW/DRW. 2 or 4 wheel drive. # doors, SB/LB. etc. Price?

#1 Truck: those miles don't scare me. No nav and no remote start - for me no problem. I would miss the seat heat/ cool - but if the price was good I'd seriously look at that one.
#2 Truck: personally being lifted (my bias) I wouldn't touch it. Cosmetics can be taken care of or learn to live with. Once lifted they likely needed a longer drive shaft but as long as it works I don't care.
The smell WILL dissipate with time/ crack the windows open and park it in the sun.
#3 Truck: if I needed a plow that's fine, if not you can sell it.

We really can't (won't) tell you what to buy.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:07 PM
250FordTruck
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry i didn't want to make the thread too long with a bunch of details that didn't really matter. But Yeah I missed some of the key points.

This would be a 250 SRW, 4x4, SB. Overkill for what I need but still not a bad option. Price for truck #1 is around $38,000 Trucks 2 and 3 are not known until Monday.

I think Truck 2 is out. I know the car recon people can do wonders but I gotta go with lynnmor with the smoke smell. The truck has been away from the previous owner for over two months and it still smells bad. Sure it might have been sealed up but... Plus just knowing the previous owner was a slob would always be there,

Another question. The 2015's engine was quiet, what I expected. The 2016 "whistled" at start up. Nothing crazy, a "normal" diesel whistle. Not being too familiar with diesels which one is normal. I certainly will be checking out a few newer , or brand new trucks to figure out what is normal but that question just popped into my head.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:21 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,705 Likes on 2,752 Posts
I'm with Army RET, the lift on truck #2 would heavily bias it against me purchasing it. The smoke smell is bad and hard to get rid of. Every interior fabric surface has to be thoroughly cleaned and even then the smoke gets everywhere and you simply can't clean everywhere.

There are a lot of guys that say they won't keep a diesel truck once the warranty is out. They may not have any problems at all but trade it in anyhow. That's good for you, especially if you can get the dealer to throw in some sort of warranty for a year. It won't be the Ford extended warranty though.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:24 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Wow a Lariat without navigation or heated or cooled seats. I would just keep looking.
Not sure where you live but I would stay away from a salt area truck. If you are going to buy a used truck make sure it has not been deleted or tuned. Inspect this truck in person if possible. 100,000 miles isn't much in 4 years. In California 20,000 miles is about average. Also idle hours count stop lights as well as sitting in the driveway. If the truck isn't moving than the idle clock goes.
When you decide on a truck take the vin to the dealer or someone here can run a Oasis report for you. This is the reason i go to the dealer for most of the work on my truck. When the next guy gets my truck he can be assured he is getting a well cared fro truck.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mileage wouldn’t concern me one bit, I bought my 14 sight unseen with 175k miles on it, zero complaints.

Smoke smell will will never come out, id stay away from a lifted truck-stock these ride very nicely.

The 15+ did have a few upgrades from the prior years.

But theres not much besides normal maintenance to do on these trucks.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:23 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
For #1. I just sold my ‘15 Lariat for $36k with 98k miles. 100k is not a lot for the diesel. Mine had the nav system which is nice but there are multiple smartphone nav apps that make up fit that. That is a lot of idle miles but aside from regen issues I’m not sure if that’s a really big deal.
#2 is out because of the smell, gag me. ��
#3... turbo whistle sound. Shouldn’t have that with all the factory DEF stuff. If you hear that whistle then it’s been deleted. Not a bad thing if done right but make sure your not in an emission checking state. If it’s got a plow then it’s been driven hard in 4WD. I agree with lynnmor that salt is bad, very bad.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:44 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There have now been several posters who strongly state that cigarette (or even cigar) smells won't dissipate/ disappear - I disagree.

Over the years I've purchased some stinkers; as much as possible (after normal cleaning) I left them open and in the sun. Yeah, sometimes it took 2 or 3 months but eventually the smell did go away.
Same-same with rain-soaked mildew smells - and even once when a farmer carried goats(?) in his station wagon.

And I have an overly sensitive nose.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:04 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Idle hours should be around 10% of the odometer, give or take.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:27 AM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 58 Posts
As stated earlier, I'm no expert either, but have an opinion - Keep looking. Which you are no doubt keenly aware, buying used requires making a few (or a lot) of compromises. You didn't say if you bought your '01 new, but if you plan on driving this truck for a LONG time, you might reconsider buying new v used.