2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

What's it worth?...dilemma..what do I do!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 04:26 PM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's it worth?...dilemma..what do I do!!

My luck with vehicles strikes again. I am in the military (about to hit 19 years in). EVERY time I buy a new vehicle I get orders to move overseas. I really thought I was nearing the end of overseas assignments so I went out and bought a 2017 F-250 with the 6.7 in it. I got it in June 2018. So about 5 months ago. Currently sitting at 4,000 miles on the odometer. Monday, I got notified that we are moving to Guam for 3 years.

Problem #1 is, my wife has a 2015 Nissan Armada with the 3rd row seating. We have 3 kids and one of them is always wanting a friend to tag along, so having just the truck as the family vehicle would stink.
Problem #2, it's paid off, and she really likes it.
Problem #3, military will only pay to ship 1 vehicle. Last time I looked into shipping overseas, it was about $2,000. This will be our 5th overseas base (so we have done this a few times).
Problem #4, diesel is EXPENSIVE on island
Problem #5, I would have nothing to tow there, so it really would be more truck than I would need.

I do have options.
Option #1, park it for 3 years while we are in Guam and let it sit. I would come home to a virtually new vehicle, but it would be outdated. This somewhat bothers me because I am in essence buying a $70K (paid $59 for it) truck that once I get to enjoy it, won't be near what I paid for it.
Options #2, sell it. I paid $59K for it. Not sure what it is worth. Sit on the money i sell it for, then buy a new truck when I get back to the states. Then I will have an actually new truck, that is not outdated. BUT, I am sure I will end up losing money on selling it at this point. Its a 2017, whats it worth?
Options #3, pay to take it with me. Put miles on it. Possibly accumulate rust, there is a ton of salt there. Not use it as a truck. Spend a ton on diesel.
I do have the option to sell the wifes, and tell her to suck it up. But she really does like her car. It fits our family. And I don't want her and the kids in my tuck without me. I swear you could feed the homeless with what accumulates under the kids seats. They have NEVER ate in mine. 10 hour drive to the campground? We pull over for a sip of water!!!

The truck:
2017 SB F-250 Lariat Ultimate with FX4, Chrome Package, Plow Package, Suplemental Hear, Blind Spot, Aux switches, etc. Pretty well optioned. 4,000 miles. First registered in June 2018
This is my first truck I have had, so first diesel. I know resale is decent.

Whats it worth if I sold it now? Would it be worth it taking the hit on selling it now and buying new in late 2022? I kind of look at it that I am essentially going to have this truck NEW in 2022, with 4,000 miles but it being a 2017. Not sure if that makes sense or not. This is the 3rd time this has happened to me, selling a BRAND new car within a year of ownership.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:28 PM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Ohh, I forgot to add. Diesel is currently $4.98 a gallon there.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:32 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
hate to say it - but with what you said and the price you bought it for $59K (BTW was this before taxes?) - I would sell it and cut my loses now and buy a 2021 or 2022 when you return. I would imagine you could get a fair price for a 2017 with only 4K on it.

If you cannot get a good price to sell now, I wouldn't let it sit - that's a waste. My option two in your situation would be to take it overseas with me and use it.

$4.98 isn't too bad also - I pay over $4 in California right now

And thank you for your service!

Old 12-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Crabbman P
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
First of all, thank you for your service. Few of us can relate to being moved overseas along with our possesions. My son recently enlisted in the Air Force and graduated from tech school so we will likely be dealing with this someday. your choices are all difficult ones. Perhaps you could start by getting a quote from Carmax etc to test the waters on selling it.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:39 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Crabbman P
Perhaps you could start by getting a quote from Carmax etc to test the waters on selling it.
I would do this - but my experience along with others I know with CarMax is they low ball you - well under dealer trade in.

If you need a quick sale, get a CarMax quote and compare that to KBB private party and sell it for the price in the middle of those two numbers - it should sell quick at that price.

If you have time - wait for the right buyer who will spend top KBB private party value.

Doing a quick KBB - assuming you have a super crew short bed:
private party range for excellent: $52-55K
dealer trade in excellent: 47-50K

Old 12-05-2018, 04:46 PM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Originally Posted by wicked 2018
hate to say it - but with what you said and the price you bought it for $59K (BTW was this before taxes?) - I would sell it and cut my loses now and buy a 2021 or 2022 when you return. I would imagine you could get a fair price for a 2017 with only 4K on it.

If you cannot get a good price to sell now, I wouldn't let it sit - that's a waste. My option two in your situation would be to take it overseas with me and use it.

$4.98 isn't too bad also - I pay over $4 in California right now

And thank you for your service!
I got a killer deal on it. It was a left over '17 and I was not in need of a vehicle, so I was able to shop around. I paid $59K with tax/tag/title. And then got a killer deal on my trade in (more than Blue Book). Did the trade in after negotiating sale. I have a thread on it somewhere. I am thinking getting rid of it might be my best bet.

I pay around $3.15 a gallon in NC. I cant amagine paying over $4 in the states, or nearly $5 there.
Originally Posted by Crabbman P
First of all, thank you for your service. Few of us can relate to being moved overseas along with our possesions. My son recently enlisted in the Air Force and graduated from tech school so we will likely be dealing with this someday. your choices are all difficult ones. Perhaps you could start by getting a quote from Carmax etc to test the waters on selling it.
Thank you. I have loved my time so far, it really has been an amazing experience. About to hit my 8th assignment (plus all my deployments and a ton of travel elsewhere). Couldn't ask for anything more, its been amazing. Congrats on your son graduating tech school. My kids are still young, so I have time before I have to deal with that. But I know what I have put my parents through, being gone so much. This is our 5th overseas assignment. Lived in Europe 5 years, Pacific area 6 years, and now back to the Pacific for another 3 years. My mom just cried when I called and told her Let your son know to give it his all, take advantage of all opportunities, and keep his head clean. It will be rewrding.
I am going to hit up Carmax. We did it years ago, and lost a ton. But it is the easy button.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:47 PM
EWeezY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd give it a try on the base your currently at. Try the Lemon lot on base, post it up on FB marketplace and even on Craigslist. If you have time to try that, thats what I would do before getting low balled by carmax or dealer trade/sell. Theres usually someone just waiting for the right deal and you could be that guy to give it to them. Ive been to guam twice for "Deployments" ....great place for a short stint. orders......eeeeeeee

Old 12-05-2018, 04:50 PM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Originally Posted by wicked 2018
I would do this - but my experience along with others I know with CarMax is they low ball you - well under dealer trade in.

If you need a quick sale, get a CarMax quote and compare that to KBB private party and sell it for the price in the middle of those two numbers - it should sell quick at that price.

If you have time - wait for the right buyer who will spend top KBB private party value.

Doing a quick KBB - assuming you have a super crew short bed:
private party range for excellent: $52-55K
dealer trade in excellent: 47-50K
Back in 2007 we did Carmax and got about 75% what trade in was. But we had VERY short notice to move, so had no choice. I do have time. We have 7 months before we report. But I am kind of thinking it would be best to sell now, instead of waiting. I can live those 7 months without it.

I could deal with getting $55K for it. But even with that, I would have paid $4K to drive it for 5 months

Old 12-05-2018, 04:52 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by xETERNALx

I could deal with getting $55K for it. But even with that, I would have paid $4K to drive it for 5 months
you did get an awesome deal on your truck. but yes - paying $800/month for a truck for 5 months is a hard pill to swallow

Old 12-05-2018, 04:52 PM
A&Pmech
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not let it sit for 3 years. I would either sell it or take it and your wife's Armada and trade them both in on a new family vehicle. By the time you get back the new car would be about paid off when you get your new truck. If you keep the 2015 Armada you may find yourself vehicle shopping for a new family vehicle and a new truck at the same time. I agree about the Armada, they're nice. The wife has a 2017, we're very happy with it.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:53 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I'd sell it before I let it sit for 3 years. Its a depreciating asset, dollars are just going to tick away as it sits. Whereas if you take the hit now, put the $50k in the S&P500 or whatever your investment vehicle of choice is (pun intended), it will grow over that 3 years back to what you probably paid for your truck.

Paying $5 a gallon isnt really that bad. How many miles can you really drive on Guam? But it sounds like the most painful thing is actually the right thing to do here. Dump it and get a brand new shiny one when you get back. Future you will thank you.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:54 PM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Originally Posted by EWeezY
I'd give it a try on the base your currently at. Try the Lemon lot on base, post it up on FB marketplace and even on Craigslist. If you have time to try that, thats what I would do before getting low balled by carmax or dealer trade/sell. Theres usually someone just waiting for the right deal and you could be that guy to give it to them. Ive been to guam twice for "Deployments" ....great place for a short stint. orders......eeeeeeee
I drive through the lemon lot today to see wht is on it, true lemons for sure!! I could try it, no harm I guess.

We were actually stationed in Guam before (2008-2012). Yeah, it does get old. But this time is only 3 years. And I hate my current base/job, so I had to do something to get away. So we will make the best of it. Sure beats getting North Dakota or something!!

Old 12-05-2018, 04:56 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by xETERNALx
Back in 2007 we did Carmax and got about 75% what trade in was. But we had VERY short notice to move, so had no choice. I do have time. We have 7 months before we report. But I am kind of thinking it would be best to sell now, instead of waiting. I can live those 7 months without it.

what would it cost you you move it twice?
and 17's and up are aluminum, so no body rust..

Old 12-05-2018, 04:58 PM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tricon
I'd sell it before I let it sit for 3 years. Its a depreciating asset, dollars are just going to tick away as it sits. Whereas if you take the hit now, put the $50k in the S&P500 or whatever your investment vehicle of choice is (pun intended), it will grow over that 3 years back to what you probably paid for your truck.

Paying $5 a gallon isnt really that bad. How many miles can you really drive on Guam? But it sounds like the most painful thing is actually the right thing to do here. Dump it and get a brand new shiny one when you get back. Future you will thank you.
Investing it for the 3 years would be the plan. Yeah, wouldn't be driven much at all there.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:59 PM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
what would it cost you you move it twice?
and 17's and up are aluminum, so no body rust..
I am waiting on a quote right now. But a quick google search does not look good. Average is $3,000 to $7,000 each way!!! I did not think it wold be be that much.

Quick Reply: What's it worth?...dilemma..what do I do!!