Possible purchase 2005 king ranch - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Reload this Page >

Possible purchase 2005 king ranch

Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

Old 02-11-2019, 07:24 AM
low54
Elder User
low54 is starting off with a positive reputation.

so was 3am when I woke this am. Iíve got to get some suggestions regarding this truck (2005 F-150 king ranch) I may purchase today. Some history, the truck has 172,000 on it, a transmission rebuild was done at 170,000. Cam phasers have been addressed and all injectors have been replaced. Front and rear axles are clean, no leakage, rear main seal no leaking, suspension is solid aftermarket ties and wheels. Which the wheels were downsized to 17ís from stock 18ís. Engine harness looks clean no additional wiring, interior is well king ranch... all windows and sun roof work.
Hereís my question. Iíve no history with the 5.4 Triton. Or any newer truck from the 2000ís. The fella is offering 6500.00 for the truck. With all Iíve explained here, is there anything major Iím missing? Any suggestions?
thanks in advance!

Old 02-11-2019, 10:38 AM
redfishtd
Senior User
redfishtd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just what do you mean by phasers issue addressed . Complete timing job? Good thing is a trans job ,mine hasn't had one yet .Does ac /heat work .
Underbody rust situation ,where did it live ,rust country ? Mine is a lariat 05 not 4wd but I would not take 6500 for it so thats a good price depending on condition .I don't want to fool with 4wd as its just a another headache unless you really need it .
plan on brakes ,barke fluid flush ,power steering flush , coolant flush ,oil change /flush ,gas filter/transfer case . Fpdm module on rear axle corrosion -change out to new type .Steering parts /struts have checked out -control arms-ball joints -sway bar- tie rods .IWE solenoids check out .

Old 02-11-2019, 11:25 AM
low54
Elder User
low54 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by redfishtd View Post
Just what do you mean by phasers issue addressed . Complete timing job? Good thing is a trans job ,mine hasn't had one yet .Does ac /heat work .
Underbody rust situation ,where did it live ,rust country ? Mine is a lariat 05 not 4wd but I would not take 6500 for it so thats a good price depending on condition .I don't want to fool with 4wd as its just a another headache unless you really need it .
plan on brakes ,barke fluid flush ,power steering flush , coolant flush ,oil change /flush ,gas filter/transfer case . Fpdm module on rear axle corrosion -change out to new type .Steering parts /struts have checked out -control arms-ball joints -sway bar- tie rods .IWE solenoids check out .
by addressing cam phaser issue was placing a wedge to secure the phaser from its rattle. As well as a timing job done. All electrics work. No rust here in central Oregon. Front suspension parts Checked out. Will need calipers for front rotors. Rotors checked out.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Rumble phish
Senior User
Rumble phish is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm kind of confused by the "wedge" comment. The only wedge method I know of is to merely replace the phasers. That would not constitute a "timing job". Also, unless OEM phasers were used you'll likely have worse issues fairly soon, as most aftermarket phasers fail miserably. Were the VCT solenoids replaced? The tensioners? The chain itself? The plastic guides? Was the oil pump upgraded to a high volume/high pressure unit?

From my personal experience, I'd be fairly leery of a 5.4L 3V Triton motor with that many miles on it, and a vague reference to a "timing job". The 5.4L 3V Triton is a good motor, but only if it has been properly maintained over the years. Even then, pushing a 180,000 miles on one is a crap shoot. Not that this is any kind of guarantee of anything, but have you pulled a Car Fax report on it to see how often the maintenance has been on it? Regular oil changes and proper oil used (most important!)? When were the plugs last changed?

The price seems like a deal, but buyer beware. Why is he letting a King Ranch, supposedly in such great shape, go for such a price? Just know that if you get it and the motor goes south it'll run you about $3000 for a proper timing job, and about $5-6000 for a remanufactured motor swap.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Bohojo
Junior User
Bohojo is starting off with a positive reputation.
The ďwedgeĒ might be referring to a cam phaser lock out kit.
I think itís actually a small bolt though, with the tuning kit.

I went with the lockouts to do away with the problem all together parts and labor 1800. Truck is quiet and runs like a champ at 140,000 miles.

FYI... I paid 12k two years ago for it from a dealer.
Lariat supercab. 2 wheel drive. 86,000 miles.
Excellent condition inside and out.
Whoever owned it before me really took care of the truck.

13 year old truck and I get compliments on the way it looks inside and out still.

I love the truck, but do have a new 250 King Ranch arriving any day now on order.

I would ask for any service records that might be available, listen for the dreaded ticking sound.... have a good ford mechanic check it out...

good luck!

Old 02-14-2019, 06:52 PM
CathedralCub
Senior User
CathedralCub is starting off with a positive reputation.
$6,500.00 sounds like a good deal for that truck. The 5.4 isn't a bad engine, but it does depend on how it has been treated and maintained. I've seen a bunch of them in the junkyards, but always on well beaten F250/F350 landscape trucks or similar . . . and one Excursion that was due for its next oil change at 300,000-something miles.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:49 AM
Rumble phish
Senior User
Rumble phish is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There's a reason

Originally Posted by CathedralCub View Post
$6,500.00 sounds like a good deal for that truck. The 5.4 isn't a bad engine, but it does depend on how it has been treated and maintained. I've seen a bunch of them in the junkyards, but always on well beaten F250/F350 landscape trucks or similar . . . and one Excursion that was due for its next oil change at 300,000-something miles.
I respectfully disagree. There's a reason why there is such a booming market for remanufactured 5.4L 3V motors.

As this one has already been tinkered with (possible phaser lockouts) I'd steer clear of this one, or offer him no more than $4500 because I suspect it'll need a new motor within 5000 miles .

Old 02-16-2019, 02:30 AM
CathedralCub
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rumble phish View Post
I respectfully disagree. There's a reason why there is such a booming market for remanufactured 5.4L 3V motors.

As this one has already been tinkered with (possible phaser lockouts) I'd steer clear of this one, or offer him no more than $4500 because I suspect it'll need a new motor within 5000 miles .
I haven't had to live with one yet. I guess I expected that all those rebuilt units were going into the landscape trucks.

I've seen a few in the yards around here that were not in landscape trucks (or that 300,000-mile Excursion), but those were all either wrecked or a few were marked with transmission issues. We had a pool-car F250 4WD CC SB with a 5.4 years ago at a place I worked. I liked it fine and it sounded great, but it seemed like not enough motor for that truck therefore always working hard.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:54 AM
steve(ill)
Post Fiend
steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.
all depends on the year.......... 2V vs 3V.... you get a 5.4 motor from 2001- 2003 and they run a long time........ You get a 2005- 2008 they have a lot more valve / timing/ chain problems... maybe not the majority, buy much higher number than one would expect...... and the ones that do have problems are will before 150K miles..

Old 02-17-2019, 09:58 AM
redfishtd
Senior User
redfishtd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Even if you need timing job

As long as you can diy it right its better than all the interest on a loan on a 50k to 60k truck . Even the first year you lose more than the $1400 in timing parts . Just a little perspective .If I needed another truck I would definitely consider this one .But I would go back to stock wheels ,but I am an old fart .I wpuld try to get at least another 50k out of it before doing the full timing job with the new hv oil pump /steel tensioners etc . Meanwhile I would replace FPDM and check out front end parts .Since its 4wd I would water proof the iwe controls and maint the transfer case .I would change all fluids including rear end .The belt tensioners and pulleys can be done at anytime . I nixed adding electric fans as they are too much to do retro ,alternator upgrade and all that . I have 200k on my 05 lariat and she's strong . . maybe add trans drain type pan and change mercon v out every 30k ,do 5 quarts at a time over a week until you run thru 20 quarts .

Old 02-19-2019, 01:52 AM
CathedralCub
Senior User
Originally Posted by steve(ill) View Post
all depends on the year.......... 2V vs 3V.... you get a 5.4 motor from 2001- 2003 and they run a long time........ You get a 2005- 2008 they have a lot more valve / timing/ chain problems... maybe not the majority, buy much higher number than one would expect...... and the ones that do have problems are will before 150K miles..
Ouch, that sucks.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:54 AM
CathedralCub
Senior User
Originally Posted by redfishtd View Post
As long as you can diy it right its better than all the interest on a loan on a 50k to 60k truck . Even the first year you lose more than the $1400 in timing parts . Just a little perspective .
Agree. I'd rather spend that interest money on other things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.