Loud Exhaust - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Loud Exhaust

Old 02-07-2019, 02:03 PM
Arsoncop
Freshman User
Arsoncop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Loud Exhaust

My 73 F250 4x4 and 360 FE, I have added headers aluminum intake/4bbl carb and 2 1/2 " pipes. Now I want it as loud as it will be, that might sound weird to everyone, but i like the loudness. My question is straight pipe or not ? I have read and heard that some mufflers will make it sound louder then straight and better sounding then just the harshness of straights. Thoughts, advice ?

Old 02-07-2019, 03:01 PM
Shawner1974
Junior User
Shawner1974 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I originally bought my 78, it had a loud 'Heartthrob' exhaust that I believe came from LMC. I have since replaced it with a more mellow sounding version with turbo mufflers instead of glasspacks. However...in my younger days, I had a similar 78 that I put dual exhaust straight out the back, but put my cherry bombs at the very end of the pipes. It was loud and when you let off the gas that thing would talk to you!

Old 02-07-2019, 05:09 PM
scottscott
Elder User
scottscott has a good reputation on FTE.scottscott has a good reputation on FTE.
If you want it loud, no pipes at all, open headers.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:08 PM
meangreen92
Postmaster
meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.
The shorter your pipes are, the louder it should be. So if you're not averse to routing your exhaust out the side of the truck in front of the rear tires, there's another trick up your sleeve.

I once put a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust on a Foxbody Mustang. I tried starting it up after hanging and connecting the mufflers to hear what they sounded like, and it didn't seem loud at all.
A few years later I transferred the system onto my current Mustang, and decided to leave the tailpipes off, and it was loud as heck. It did sound really good though, nice and deep! I ended up putting the tailpipes on after a couple of weeks, and it was much quieter.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:19 PM
speedfreak78
Senior User
speedfreak78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Years ago a guy around here had a lifted, early 70s, f250 with a well built FE engine and he ran headers with dual 3" straight pipes out the back. You could hear him coming 5 minutes before he showed up. I still think it was probably the loudest truck I've ever heard in all my years of going to car shows and cruise nights, it's the only reason I really remember it. Funny thing is I don't remember it being too obnoxious when it was close.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:47 AM
Arsoncop
Freshman User
Im going to drive the truck regularly so no pipes, headers only is out of the question. The pipes will come out in front of the rear tires.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
..What??!!

Old 02-08-2019, 05:05 PM
Arsoncop
Freshman User
Scottscott suggested just headers, no pipes at all. I dont think that would work for me. When the exhaust pipes are installed mufflers or not, the pipes will exit in front of the rear wheels

Old 02-09-2019, 05:24 AM
77&79F250
Used OEM parts guy
77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.

Go fenderwell exit headers to stacks NO MUFFLERS if you want mud truck LOUD.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:20 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Down here it seams the good old boys want obnoxious from what I hear.
They don't want that deep mellow tone that sounds like power they want this raspy tinny sound that just goes thru you and to make it even more worst they put on 5+ inch megaphone tail pipe tips on.
So they don't have to hear it they do run it out to the rear bumper because if it was to exit in front of the rear tire they could not drive it more that from shop to the house before they want to pull the system off.
If this is not on a pick up it is a mustang, less the megaphones. They have to be small straight pipes from header / manifolds to the rear as I have never heard of mufflers make this noise.

The other thing I don't get is the 6 inch lift kit on 4x4 on the front only and drag the rear bumper???
With the tires & wheel they run and this setup you know they don't go anywhere but on the road.
rant over
Dave ----

Old 02-09-2019, 09:39 AM
Arsoncop
Freshman User
Dave you said "down here" so i take it you are in the south. Im in NC and that ridiculous chassis set up originated in Aynor SC. They call it the "Aynor Squat" . I agree that has to be the most asinine thing i have ever seen. Looks like the frame is broken.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:47 AM
77&79F250
Used OEM parts guy
77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
The other thing I don't get is the 6 inch lift kit on 4x4 on the front only and drag the rear bumper???
I remember a time when that was called "bulldoggin"..aka setting your truck up for bumper to bumper pulling. And I mean a LONG time ago. Yes I has a toggle switch to turn my brake lights off and a hand throttle on my 4spd shifter.

CAUTION the "F" bomb dropped quite a few time by the spectators in the video.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:35 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Arsoncop View Post
Dave you said "down here" so i take it you are in the south. Im in NC and that ridiculous chassis set up originated in Aynor SC. They call it the "Aynor Squat" . I agree that has to be the most asinine thing i have ever seen. Looks like the frame is broken.
As of 2015 I am also in NC, before that from up north New England area, less snow down here LOL.
The loud exh & nose up high would get you a ticket for defect equipment. Lights & bumpers cant be to high and lights had to be aimed right. And if you wanted to give a hard time it could be towed as it is not safe to be on the road.

Originally Posted by 77&79F250 View Post
I remember a time when that was called "bulldoggin"..aka setting your truck up for bumper to bumper pulling. And I mean a LONG time ago. Yes I has a toggle switch to turn my brake lights off and a hand throttle on my 4spd shifter.

CAUTION the "F" bomb dropped quite a few time by the spectators in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_-fUPY4mjc
When I asked about the "squat" I was told it's called the Carolina craw. What ever you want to call it it is stupid in my book.
Now back in the day when drag racing first started it was done to transfer more weight to the rear tires. That is why they installed straight axles up front to get it higher.
Dave ----

Old 02-11-2019, 10:29 AM
HoustonDave
Posting Guru
HoustonDave is starting off with a positive reputation.
One small point to ponder... while you may like the loud noise, it's yours to enjoy only till it reaches someone else's ears. If they don't happen to enjoy it, you are being an obnoxious jerk. You don't live in a vacuum. Maybe if you live 'way out in the country with no neighbors... otherwise try being a little considerate.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:17 PM
meangreen92
Postmaster
meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.
You could getcha some of those nice electric exhaust cutouts, then you could eat your cake and not hear yourself chewing it, or something like that.

I haven't seen any trucks around here set up like the Carolina crawl or whatever, but the first thing it brings to my mind is like a pre-runner truck or a serious off-road rig with >600 horsepower, squatting under Wide Open Throttle forward acceleration - that's when that stance looks cool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.