2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 10:14 AM
PatsfanTN
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Stabilizer

Question for me in laymans terms. Why do I need a steering stabilizer and with bigger tires, is there a need for two?
just trying to figure out what it actually does (I know it stabilizes the steering, I mean mechanically does)

Old 02-07-2019, 12:10 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
The stock single stabilizer is positioned in the best possible spot to reduce road feedback and control left to right variations. The stock stabilizer is crap, replacing it with a good one will net you the best return on investment.

Dual stabilizers can only be used on lifted trucks, (won't clear the suspension cycling without some lift) and to be honest it's a waste of money, and they will only work about as well as a good stabilizer in the stock position, but costs more than twice as much.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:24 PM
PatsfanTN
Tuned
Perfect, that’s what I needed to know. Thanks man!

Old 02-07-2019, 01:31 PM
catrasca
Senior User
A dual stabilizer kit from Rough Country will work very well eliminating bump steer from oversized tires and will be less than a FOX ATS, at only $144.

It is an easy install but will only work if you have lifted the front. You can decide to leave the stock stabilizer on or remove it.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:29 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
Would a driver notice any difference if they changed out the stock stabilizer with a better aftermarket unit on a non lifted truck?

Old 02-07-2019, 05:38 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts
Yes - you’ll notice a difference. This was one of the first things I bought for my truck. The steering is noticeably smoother and I think it feels better planted when changing lanes and cruising on the interstate. Granted, she’s a “b” to maneuver in the too-tight Lowe’s parking lot...but it’s one of the most appreciated pieces I’ve bought. The stock location with the single is best IMO for any tire under 37 inches.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:41 PM
PatsfanTN
Tuned
Originally Posted by CBEllis
Yes - you’ll notice a difference. This was one of the first things I bought for my truck. The steering is noticeably smoother and I think it feels better planted when changing lanes and cruising on the interstate. Granted, she’s a “b” to maneuver in the too-tight Lowe’s parking lot...but it’s one of the most appreciated pieces I’ve bought. The stock location with the single is best IMO for any tire under 37 inches.
so my truck isn’t lifted per say but leveled and runnng 37s. My reason for asking about this is that I’ve noticed hitting a bump at 60-70 on the interstate can become.....interesting.

i want to to see if I can tighten some of that up. What will help and what won’t.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:42 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts
Old 02-07-2019, 05:44 PM
PatsfanTN
Tuned
Originally Posted by CBEllis
easy swap for a non mechanic like myself?

Old 02-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by PatsfanTN
Its as easy as it gets. Two bolts and its out. Do yourself a favor and buy a pickle fork from HarborFrieght or the likes for about $8. The driver side bolt is a tapered compression fitting that is in there damn tight. I used pry bars, hammer, air tools and it wouldnt budge. Picked up the wedged fork and it was out in 30 seconds flat.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:00 PM
catrasca
Senior User

Easy. The hardest part will be taking the stock one off. Do like Tricon said and get a pickle fork before you start. I went the hard way and tried helplessly for an hour before going to HF and getting the pickle fork. With the right tool, it was a 1-minute job.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:10 PM
PatsfanTN
Tuned
Ok great, you guys are a big help.
last question, with the 37s and a leveled truck would the dual fit/ make more sense or would be fine with the single? Again, you guys are a big help here.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:30 PM
catrasca
Senior User
Ok great, you guys are a big help.
last question, with the 37s and a leveled truck would the dual fit/ make more sense or would be fine with the single? Again, you guys are a big help here.
Never tried the Fox OEM replacement. I can tell you that the dual from RC eliminated all bump steer on my leveled truck on 35s.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:49 PM
Zooki1
Mountain Pass

so my truck isn’t lifted per say but leveled and runnng 37s. My reason for asking about this is that I’ve noticed hitting a bump at 60-70 on the interstate can become.....interesting.

i want to to see if I can tighten some of that up. What will help and what won’t.
Hey Patsfan.........what did you get me into???? Lol So explain the "interesting" part to me now that you got me to go this route, more money MAD WIFE..LOL

Old 02-07-2019, 07:54 PM
PatsfanTN
Tuned
Originally Posted by Zooki1
Hey Patsfan.........what did you get me into???? Lol So explain the "interesting" part to me now that you got me to go this route, more money MAD WIFE..LOL
nothng major, bigger tires and what comes with it. I don’t think 35s would be any different. Just want to tighten up the bump steer a little. Just debating on a single or dual.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer