Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Courtesy/Dome Light Wiring Removal Advice

Old 02-06-2019, 07:28 PM
kramttocs
Senior User
kramttocs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Courtesy/Dome Light Wiring Removal Advice

Any words of wisdom on how to remove the J shaped plastic (green and blue) wire ends that the bolts on the courtesy light screw into? Mine were cracked already (assume the light was tightened too much or the PO had tried to remove them before me) so I am wanting to solder some good ends to mine but I have no clue how to release them so they swing down and come out.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:15 PM
BigBlue2
Senior User
BigBlue2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by kramttocs View Post
Any words of wisdom on how to remove the J shaped plastic (green and blue) wire ends that the bolts on the courtesy light screw into? Mine were cracked already (assume the light was tightened too much or the PO had tried to remove them before me) so I am wanting to solder some good ends to mine but I have no clue how to release them so they swing down and come out.
I have a dome light combination map light. I was chasing down a short and opened mine up and found those connections were cracked too. I am the original owner so it was the first time it was opened. Can't blame it on the PO. Thought it might be my short and I remember taping it up. The map light stopped working but the dome is good still. I'm going to have to open mine up and work on it some more. I stopped looking there as I found the intermittent short which was the under hood trouble light. The wire came loose near the hood hinge and then found it's way into the hinge.

Anyway I'm going to pay attention to this thread as I am going to need to work on mine again. Those little J connectors you mentioned are not the best idea. I have been wondering what to do to get my map light working again. Please take some pictures when you decide what to do. That project is low on my priority list but I do need to revisit it. My first thought was the connectors cracked upon installation of the lamp fixture. Bad design it does appear.

Thanks,
Big Blue 2

Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
What does your setup look like, got some pictures? The courtesy like the same as the dome light? I just went out and took the dome light apart in my donor truck, it's an '85 F150. Pics of what I'm working with:

If you're are anything like this, there is a detent tab on one side. Mine came right out(no longer detenting).

Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 PM
kramttocs
Senior User
kramttocs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey,
Yeah, I am talking about that end terminal/clip in your 4th and 5th photos. I see you have a good size hole to feel around in and press the detent (if it was still hooking). On my supercab there is a really small hole that I couldn't even get a pick angled the right way in. My plan at the moment is to go to the jy and cut the sheet around the dome light, pull them out backwards, solder to mine, install and hope I never have to take them out again.

Thanks a lot for the photos, they help get an idea of how the piece looks.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey,
Yeah, I am talking about that end terminal/clip in your 4th and 5th photos. I see you have a good size hole to feel around in and press the detent (if it was still hooking). On my supercab there is a really small hole that I couldn't even get a pick angled the right way in. My plan at the moment is to go to the jy and cut the sheet around the dome light, pull them out backwards, solder to mine, install and hope I never have to take them out again.

Thanks a lot for the photos, they help get an idea of how the piece looks.
Hit them from the face side, go in right next to the connector, only the one detent. Should be enough slop in the hole to get in there with a pick. Or take an aluminum can and cut a sliver out of it and push it down next to the connector and rock it out. may have to fold the aluminum in half to make it a bit stiffer. Have used that method to open and reuse the aluminum security seals that are made like zip ties.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.