Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on 2002 7.3L

Old 02-05-2019, 08:04 AM
jlock58
New User
jlock58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thoughts on 2002 7.3L

Hey guys, first post so go easy. Recently found a 2002 F350 7.3L with 312k miles for sale. Was wondering what you guys think as far as miles go? Also what should I be looking out for? Owner states the transmission was rebuilt at 255k and new water pump and radiation went in at 290k. Looks to be an overall well kept truck, but I know looks can be deceiving.

Kind of hesitant to spend any money on a high mileage truck, but I know the 7.3L will last forever. Last question what would be a fair price? 2002 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 Single Rear Wheel. Any help; advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:46 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Paid 4900.00 for mine but its 2wd and only 165k miles. Seller was also led to believe from the dealer that she had a rear main seal leak.
Without armed with an obd reader..etc, look over it really good and do the oil fill cap test. Even take her for a long drive(u pay fuel)

Old 02-05-2019, 08:54 AM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Inspect it carefully, but I would not be afraid of the mileage. For context, my 2002 has 303K and is still running (very well, thank you) on the original transmission, transmission cooler, rear end, HPOP, turbo, injectors, A/C compressor & condenser, radiator, PS pump, steering gear box, PCM, VSM, EDM, and instrument panel. I'm getting ready to replace the front tie-rods and ball joints, oil cooler o-rings, degas bottle, and injector o-rings, and once I do those things, I'd be more than confident driving ti across the country.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:49 AM
CousinCarl
Senior User
CousinCarl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There's a bulletin post what to look for in a used 7.3L.

As for price, it's going to vary depending on location. In Texas, you're probably 7-12K with that mileage but I've even seen as high as $15K. Crazy but gives me a good feeling to know my truck still holds somewhat of a good relative value.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:56 AM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
One of these trucks with that mileage is not uncommon at all. Needs to be well maintained.

Here's a good thread with things to look for, questions to ask, and things to be familiar with

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html

Old 02-05-2019, 11:45 AM
dmd
Senior User
dmd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Didnt see mentioned in that list to pull off the oil fill cap when the truck is running and check for puffing gasses coming out.. Mild wafting of visable gasses
is normal. Should be able to flip the cap over and have it rest on the outlet without it being blown off.. Could rattle off with engine vibration..

Old 02-05-2019, 12:10 PM
beef tits
Elder User
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
- Check transmission for coolant infiltration - common failure point is the radiator. Radiator should be replaced if transmission is ever rebuilt, this should be done AT THE SAME TIME. Ford sells their transmissions with new radiators for a reason. If they did the transmission and not the radiator the trans rebuild may be suspect.

- Where are you located? If a warm climate, there is no telling what condition the injectors are in. Problems start to show under 40F if they are bad.

- That is a lot of miles, regardless of what anyone thinks. If it is well kept, with records, injectors have been changed, etc. then it's probably a good bet. If it looks beat, then it probably is.

- Yes, the 7.3 block and heads will last forever. Everything else attached to it WILL NOT last forever, and there are some pricey parts on there. Its worth paying a REPUTABLE shop $200 to give it a good once over.

I paid $4k for my truck as a NOOB who didn't know what to look for. It ran okay. $25k later, some in upgrades, but most in repairs/rebuilds... I am finally aware of all the major issues you can run into on these trucks and I have a $30k degree from dip**** school to show for it. My truck probably wouldn't sell for $10k tomorrow.

Honestly, if you don't tow a lot of heavy weight I would buy a Tundra and be done with it.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:15 PM
axmrdr
Senior User
axmrdr is starting off with a positive reputation.
278K on my 02 and still going strong. Has an oil leak that needs finding, it's on the to do list. Just got offered 11,500 for it but turned it down, I don't plan to ever buy another truck. Since I've owned it its gone through 2 alternators, radiator, hpop, front end rebuild and a radiator. Not bad in my book. I have 2 new oil lines in the shop to install and after that I'd drive it cross country - ( think it might be the oil leak source.)

Don't know where you're at or the condition, just shop the price against some other 7.3s in your area.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:48 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Mileage does not scare me, but I know how to look at one and decide if the used and abused can be dealt with or if it's too far gone. Well maintained and heavily used is better than a garage queen. 7.3s like to work. Check the threads that we're posted and go look at it, listen to it run, check for leaks, and go from there.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:52 PM
gopedoligist
Elder User
gopedoligist is starting off with a positive reputation.
this is a great video, funny too, covering basic things to look for when you inspect a 7.3 (the first few minutes are back story and joking around, the inspection info starts around 3:00)

Old 02-05-2019, 05:20 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
MoBill122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
High mileage means nothing to me. The overall appearance as to how its been taken care of is the biggest clue to me. Go shopping ... look... listen to diesels.... and be prepared to spend some money on repairs !

Old 02-05-2019, 05:22 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
"Check transmission for coolant infiltration - common failure point is the radiator. Radiator should be replaced if transmission is ever rebuilt, this should be done AT THE SAME TIME."

I believe that he is talking about the transmission fluid to air cooler between the inter-cooler and the main radiator. That is a warranty requirement by Ford. Good time to upgrade to the 6.0 cooler anyway if not done already done. That said it should be done regardless. It is almost impossible to flush out these coolers.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:32 PM
beef tits
Elder User
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by hydro man 17 View Post
"Check transmission for coolant infiltration - common failure point is the radiator. Radiator should be replaced if transmission is ever rebuilt, this should be done AT THE SAME TIME."

I believe that he is talking about the transmission fluid to air cooler between the inter-cooler and the main radiator. That is a warranty requirement by Ford. Good time to upgrade to the 6.0 cooler anyway if not done already done. That said it should be done regardless. It is almost impossible to flush out these coolers.
Nope, not what I meant! Got my issues mixed up.

The transmission cooler (Separate from radiator) is what Ford requires you replace, you're correct.

The radiator also houses transmission fluid and can fail letting coolant leak into the transmission, not required to be replaced, but a good idea to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the correction!

Old 02-05-2019, 06:29 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
beef ****,
No problem. So many different "systems" under the hood it's easy to get things mixed up!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.