2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

My dealer is selling my traded in F150 damn near for what I paid for it. Good luck to them!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 02:09 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Poncho450
I like the comments about what dealers "gave" guys for their trade. I knew someone in the business who used to say the trade figure was what they "showed" you on a deal. If you think you got a fantastic amount for your trade, chances are the dealer made it up somewhere on the back end of the deal on the new truck price.
Sure, better deals can be had at some stores compared to others. But I always felt like none of us has done as well as we sometimes think on vehicle transactions. I've always said that you're always going to be screwed on a vehicle purchase. All you can try to do is lessen the degree.

I get a chuckle sometimes when people think they are getting screwed. The same people who are more than happy to pay a builder $500,000 for a property he/she has $300,000 into. Or, who doesn't even question paying 300% markup on electronics. If you are going to get screwed by every dealer, isn't that saying that every dealer is going to do the same thing? How does that differ from a gas station? One sells diesel for $3.14 and the one down the block sells it for $3.15. My point to this is that there are very few retail scenarios where you can go in an try for your best deal. Everywhere else, you just pay the price they have listed. If that were the truth with new car dealerships, I'd venture to guess that about 90% of us on this forum would have gotten a worse deal than we did. Dealers can fix the problem of the feeling of getting screwed in a minute. Charge everyone to MSRP and give everyone KBB dealer trade in value. Problem solved but now everyone is pissed.

As for me, I got high retail on my trade and bought my ordered 2018 PSD CCSB for $1500 behind dealer invoice, plus rebates, plus a $3000 PCO, plus another $500 for finance. I'm quite happy with my deal. Could I have gotten better? Yes, probably, but there is a law of diminishing returns. How much time, effort and loss of goodwill with my dealer is it worth for another $500? My dealer makes money and I get a deal I am happy with on a truck I love. If the dealer isn't making any money, then they close and you are an orphan owner likely with a longer drive for warranty work.

There's always someone who got a better deal. If the deal makes sense for you personally, you feel good about it and don't think they are trying to screw you, then what's to worry about.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:27 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidpacificnw
I get a chuckle sometimes when people think they are getting screwed. The same people who are more than happy to pay a builder $500,000 for a property he/she has $300,000 into. Or, who doesn't even question paying 300% markup on electronics. If you are going to get screwed by every dealer, isn't that saying that every dealer is going to do the same thing? How does that differ from a gas station? One sells diesel for $3.14 and the one down the block sells it for $3.15. My point to this is that there are very few retail scenarios where you can go in an try for your best deal. Everywhere else, you just pay the price they have listed. If that were the truth with new car dealerships, I'd venture to guess that about 90% of us on this forum would have gotten a worse deal than we did. Dealers can fix the problem of the feeling of getting screwed in a minute. Charge everyone to MSRP and give everyone KBB dealer trade in value. Problem solved but now everyone is pissed.

As for me, I got high retail on my trade and bought my ordered 2018 PSD CCSB for $1500 behind dealer invoice, plus rebates, plus a $3000 PCO, plus another $500 for finance. I'm quite happy with my deal. Could I have gotten better? Yes, probably, but there is a law of diminishing returns. How much time, effort and loss of goodwill with my dealer is it worth for another $500? My dealer makes money and I get a deal I am happy with on a truck I love. If the dealer isn't making any money, then they close and you are an orphan owner likely with a longer drive for warranty work.

There's always someone who got a better deal. If the deal makes sense for you personally, you feel good about it and don't think they are trying to screw you, then what's to worry about.
"Dealer Invoice" is not what it used to be. People feel good about getting it for xxxxx under invoice but that term had been "gamed" by the manufacturers as well.

Clark Howard does a great job explaining this. https://clark.com/cars/eye-opening-t...invoice-price/

Old 02-03-2019, 02:57 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 330 Likes on 158 Posts
Invoice is the new version of MSRP. Has been that way for at least 10 years

Old 02-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 984 Likes on 601 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
"Dealer Invoice" is not what it used to be. People feel good about getting it for xxxxx under invoice but that term had been "gamed" by the manufacturers as well.

Clark Howard does a great job explaining this. https://clark.com/cars/eye-opening-t...invoice-price/
I read a couple of installments of the link. Bookmarked for future purchases.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:03 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave

Agree, it's not, but at the same time, everyone has to make a buck and at the same time customers have to feel good about the deal. It doesn't have to be a win/lose scenario. It's possible to get a great deal and have the dealer still make money. happens every day. Of course getting scalped on a deal does too. But those dealers usually don't stay in business under the same owner for long.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:21 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyinTN
Invoice is the new version of MSRP. Has been that way for at least 10 years
Hello we have a winner lol!!!!!

Old 02-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 945 Likes on 746 Posts
Add your tax savings to what you got, subtract how much they will probably discount the used truck to a buyer, and then determine if your time would have been better suited selling it.

Trades complicate things but if the dealer is making more then they are gonna work harder to get your business.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:33 PM
2019RRSDLARIAT
More Turbo
Received 88 Likes on 55 Posts
Well folks, I was searching on the internet for some other things and all of the sudden a screen popped up of my old truck on cars.com for 47,991. A lot better than 56,588 on the dealers direct website. They won't have any trouble selling that truck for that price. Good strategy for them to try to turn it over as quick as possible. Here is the link. I thought they were going to CPO it but I guess they decided not to.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/762769894/overview/

I totally understand it's the dealers objective is to make money, but they're not going to sell it when its way over retail to the point when they're selling brand new F150 Lariat trucks never titled for that much. There are a ton of 18s left on the ground.