2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

My dealer is selling my traded in F150 damn near for what I paid for it. Good luck to them!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 02:15 PM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
Nearly 11K cost of ownership for 1 year (6700 miles). DAMN...

Old 02-01-2019, 02:51 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,149 Likes on 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyinTN
Why even care? It isnt your truck anymore.
Exactly.

I sold my '07 Titan for 13,600 to what I thought was a private party. A few weeks later it showed up on a used car lot for $18,000. Initially I was pissed. I included a lot of stuff the new owner would want (service manuals, extra parts, etc) that probably never made it to the used car lot. After thinking about it a while I realized it was pointless to be concerned. The dealer only wanted to give me 11,500 on it as a direct trade-in. So I made out on the deal.

I'm still looking for the new owner though. I have the other set of keys.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:37 PM
Hiker9
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was shocked when my dealer sold my traded 2013 Ram 2500 with 42k miles on It for $3k less than I paid for it within a week on the lot. Used market is pretty hot right now.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:10 PM
2019RRSDLARIAT
More Turbo
Received 88 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by harmanrk
Nearly 11K cost of ownership for 1 year (6700 miles). DAMN...
Yea!! Tell me about it! It is what it is I guess. Vehicles are a depreciating asset so it's to be expected. Actually it would have been a year in April.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:34 PM
2019RRSDLARIAT
More Turbo
Received 88 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozark Mnt Daredevil
That's most likely it. They hope someone comes in and looks at a low mile clean '18 for thousands off MSRP, negotiate down a bit, and sell way over the retail price making a nice profit while the buyer has the $63k MSRP on the brain and feels like he got $10k+ off. In reality they pay at or over retail, or worse what they could have purchased a new/leftover '18 for.

If that buyer doesn't walk in then cross of the $56k price, mark it on 'sale' for $49k and make it 'look' like a steal. Have to love dealerships and sales tactics. There's a buyer out there for everything they come up with!
Yea that truck will sit on the lot for at least 2 mos or more. There are only certain people that are looking for a Screw long bed lariat. Most people would think it's too much truck for them but they would love to have it. They gave me what NADA book value is retail clean so I thought it was a fair trade in value. Either way they will still make money but no 10k. Maybe 3-4k profit. Or they might send it to the auction if all else fails and break even on it which is the last resort.

Originally Posted by blueglide
That truck will sell. Dealer isn't stupid and there are people who don't look at all the numbers and pricing combinations....they see something they like and they want it now. The used truck market is stupid high with used prices and they keep on selling them. I ordered my last two SDs because I could get new with warranty for almost the same price as used. It doesn't make sense but it is what it is.
2 yrs ago, I traded in my 02 F150 XLT FX4 114k miles for a new 17 F150 scabXLT. They gave me stupid money on trade which was 8,000. They ended up selling that truck for 8600. That truck was worth nowhere near that and most likely got a buyer that has bad or subpar credit. They're so far upside down on that truck, if they trade it in, they probably get 3000 for it. It took them 2.5-3 weeks to sell that truck.

Originally Posted by Wes Hightower
There's an *** for every seat.
Exactly. An old man once told me that years ago. It's funny when he said it but its very true.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:32 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I spent a couple years in sales. When we made a trade offer we used book value minus 20%. When we repriced it to sell, we used book value plus 20%. I was always surprised by the number of folks that would let us dictate the terms of the whole deal without even putting up a fight. For every person that wanted to negotiate, there were five others that would sign whatever you put in front of them.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:20 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by 2019RRSDLARIAT
Like some of you know, I traded in my 18 F150 RR Lariat for a 19 F350 Lariat. As of 2 days ago, they have already put my old F150 on the lot for 56,588 with 6700 miles on it. I paid 56724 for it last April and that truck was special ordered also. You can buy a brand new 2018 F150 Lariat cheaper than that and there are tons of them left on the ground. They would be lucky to sell that truck for 49-50k. They have me 46k trade in value on it. Here is the link. Just copy and paste on your url.

https://www.goganleyford.com/vehicle...FW1E58JKE12949

Has any of you on here had your dealer very highly mark up your trade when they put it on the lot?? I understand dealers need to make money but for that price, that truck will sit for at least 2 mos unless they luckily get a clueless buyer.
That price gives them some wiggle room for negotiation........nothing more and nothing less. A good way to push someone into a new vehicle to move new inventory off the lot and the dealer might get another used vehicle for trade in as well.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:58 AM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
I was shocked when my dealer opened up the consumer version of KBB and gave me the retail value for my trade. It was $35, 500. Mine was in exceptional condition and I probably could have sold it $38k and it had low mileage for a four year old rig. IN washington state you don't pay sales tax on the value of your trade in. we have effectively a 10% sales tax here. So, in real dollars, I ended up getting just at $39k for my trade in with the tax savings. That's more than I could have sold it for to a private party or the very top of what I could have gotten. The dealer listed it at $44k. Not sure what they eventually sold it for and don't really care. I feel like I got a screaming deal and was really happy with the trade in process.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:07 AM
catrasca
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would anyone care what a buyer does with their former vehicle after selling it?

Old 02-03-2019, 06:52 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 984 Likes on 601 Posts
I like the comments about what dealers "gave" guys for their trade. I knew someone in the business who used to say the trade figure was what they "showed" you on a deal. If you think you got a fantastic amount for your trade, chances are the dealer made it up somewhere on the back end of the deal on the new truck price.
Sure, better deals can be had at some stores compared to others. But I always felt like none of us has done as well as we sometimes think on vehicle transactions. I've always said that you're always going to be screwed on a vehicle purchase. All you can try to do is lessen the degree.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:27 AM
18SD_Lariat
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is like checking in to see how well your ex is doing with their new boyfriend.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Poncho450
I like the comments about what dealers "gave" guys for their trade. I knew someone in the business who used to say the trade figure was what they "showed" you on a deal. If you think you got a fantastic amount for your trade, chances are the dealer made it up somewhere on the back end of the deal on the new truck price.
Sure, better deals can be had at some stores compared to others. But I always felt like none of us has done as well as we sometimes think on vehicle transactions. I've always said that you're always going to be screwed on a vehicle purchase. All you can try to do is lessen the degree.
EXACTLY! The Dealer makes money off the difference of cost and sales price of everything after overhead loads are applied. There are many components that go into the "deal" people see one thing and then overlook another. I always chuckle about that because each cost element on the contract has to be discretely analyzed. Then and only then do you know if your transaction was fair and reasonable.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Poncho450
DING DING DING.... thats right. The best way to buy a vehicle is to bottom them out on the new car OTD price. Stay off of your trade in allowance. Once they tell you “this is it, we can go no lower on your new truck”, then you start to act like your getting cold feet. Crawfish a lil’ bit and say something along the lines of “man i just dont know (insert other ford dealer name here) is offering me same OTD price but more for my trade”, “ think im going to go and see what kind of deal they will do”. At that point he will say “well how much do you want for your trade in order to make this deal happen today”. Dont be afraid to get stupid. Be aggressive and be informed before you ever walk through the door. Know what your trade sells for retail and throw a number at them that is $500 less than retail. He will say “aint no way”, and hes right, but all you are trying to do is find their breaking point. Go back and forth making sure they do not change the OTD price you have already negotiated on the new vehicle. Dont be affraid to be aggressive, and dont be afraid to get up and walk out. You usually wont make it out of the parking before they start blowing up your cell phone. Its a game. Their job is to take your money, your job it to keep your money. They try and hold onto to as much of their hold back as they possibly can. If they really want to move a unit, they will get off in the hold back and make it look like (on paper) they are giving you more for your trade in. For every 1 person that knows how to buy a car there are 10 who bend over and fold. The goal is to be that one person. You also have to be realistic though. When i used to sell fords, cash buyers were the most unrealistic people ever. Most would want 10k off after rebates because they were paying cash. Not gonna happen. The mark up on new vehicles at the dealership level is not what most people think. Trucks and big SUV’s are their money makers. They have the most wiggle room. Im not sure where they are at now adays, but when i sold fords in 03-05 the f150’s had about a 5k dollar mark up at the dealeship that i worked at. That was pre incentive and not including holdback. I want to say that at the time holdback was in the 3500 dollar range, but i cant remember exactly.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:15 AM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 629 Likes on 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Imadentguy
Now adays current market value is based on what similar vehicles such as your trade in, sell for at wholesale auctions, within a 100 mile radius of the dealership. They all have a computer network that allows them to see what whole sale auction price is, compaired to retail at competitors lots. Most will try and hold 5k on you............
I do some work with a large corporate conglomerate, that has spread nation wide. Pre owned managers dont even have any say so over what your trade in value is. Pictures are submitted to their corperate office, and they shoot back what they are going to give you for the trade. Any negotiations from then on out come out of the gross that they have into the new preowned unit a potential customer may be looking at.
Sounds like AutoNation?

I recently traded in my 2017 F350 on a 2019 F350. It took about 90 minutes for AutoNation corporate to come back to the dealer with a firm trade in offer. I tried to negotiate the trade in price up but was told I needed to talk to the used car manager who was not in that day. When the used car manager came in he following day he added an “additional allowance” line item to the trade in deal. The “additional allowance” was listed separately.

They put the truck on their lot for $2,000 more than what they gave me for the trade. It’s a 1Price, no price haggle dealership but they have $799 “dealer service fee”. They sold my truck in less than 5 days so they made 2,799 on the truck.

FYI, the new truck was purchased with X-plan minus additional $3,750 idiscounts ($3k PCO + $500 ford cash + $250 USAA cash).plus on X-plan are limited to $100, so there was no way to modify selling price or fees.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:37 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyct

Sounds like AutoNation?

I recently traded in my 2017 F350 on a 2019 F350. It took about 90 minutes for AutoNation corporate to come back to the dealer with a firm trade in offer. I tried to negotiate the trade in price up but was told I needed to talk to the used car manager who was not in that day. When the used car manager came in he following day he added an “additional allowance” line item to the trade in deal. The “additional allowance” was listed separately.

They put the truck on their lot for $2,000 more than what they gave me for the trade. It’s a no price haggle dealership but they have $899 dealer fees. They sold my truck in less than 5 days.
autonation, sonic, group one... they are all that way. They are trying their damndest to control pricing in the market. They are not good doods. I will not name drop, but i know alot of the guys at the top..... they are not good doods..... the used car market was ruined about 7-8 years ago by a company here in houston called TEXAS DIRECT AUTO. They are now owned by VROOM AUTOMOTIVE. The two guys that started TDA were computer software engineers that got into the car business. They cornered the used car market by selling no haggle, and moving units to make $300 dollars each. That company single handedly DESTROYED the entire used car market. Every aspect from sales to service to reconditioning. It was crazy watching it happen, and seeing how it effected the market. They drove the prices at the auctions sky high because they literally tried to buy every decent preowned vehicle that came across the auction block all across america. The corporate dealerships had to conform, which has spurred these no haggle lots that drove the pricing up on the front end, and down on the back end. I am a PDR guy, and i have taken a 50% hit on income in the last 5ish years. Its ridiculous. I am 40 years old and finding myself second guessing what i have done with my life :-(........ The allowance the mngr gave you comes out of his gross profit, so thats why it is up to the manager. Corperate will only give what they say they will give, after that it is up to the used car director to decide if he wants to come off his bottom line in order to get your trade, and up to the new car director on if he wants to come off of his hold back in order to fluff the deal. The cleaner your trade, the more apt they are to give you the allowance because he knows he will have to spend less on reconditioning for the front line. The tacked on fee is to cover used car reconditioning. Ie: tires or basic mechanical repair, paint and body, dents, wheel repair, interior repair, etc. its a ruff business that seems to get worse every year. We all need to pray that they never figure out how to have complete control over the market. Once they figure that out (and lord knows they are trying) the consumer will be nailed against the wall.

Quick Reply: My dealer is selling my traded in F150 damn near for what I paid for it. Good luck to them!