1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Another 4.6 to 5.4 swap thread, PCM question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 06:07 PM
Stilllookin
Trailering
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Another 4.6 to 5.4 swap thread, PCM question

So I got a few trucks for parts, but the ones in question are as follows. I searched on here and google but couldn't find a direct answer to this. Here goes, I got two 2002 F150s. One is a Cali 2wd XLT 100% rust free, excellent body truck, but interior is trashed and the 4.6 Romy has a wrist pin loose. I bought, a bambi met, trans burned 2002 F150 XLT FX4 with a replaced 5.4, perfect 10/10 interior. Obviously you see where this is going.

Both are 2002s, the 4.6 truck is Nov 2001 and the 5.4 March 2002.
Both are SuperCab shortbeds
Both trucks are XLTs and have same options even down to the integrated seat belts and overhead console
Both have manual climate control
Both are 4R70s
Both are 3.55 gear limited slips
Both are 4W anti lock four wheel disc
I have the pats keys to both trucks, no problems there

I wanna use the 5.4 PCM and cluster (since the odo and couple gauges don't work on the 4.6 cluster anyway), the engine harness and essentially anything 5.4 related but Id really like to not swap the dash harness. In theory this sounds like no bigge, but the fact the 5.4 truck is shift on fly 4x4 would that cause a CL light or other issues from absence of the transfer case? Aside from that, I'm not too concerned. I also read the sticky here on the basics of "4.6 to 5.4 swap notes". I have the whole truck so exhaust leads no problem, the 5.4 trans is toast so I wont use that torque converter but I have another proven TC from a 2001 E250 5.4 4R70 van that I saved from another donor project last year, so that's covered too.

Thoughts? this all sounds good but the 4x4 is only thing concerning me a little. And no, I don't wish to add the 4x4, I don't like how tall they are for work purpose.
Also, I'm parting a 99 F150 out plus whatever parts are leftover. I'm near KC so anyone interested just let me know or its going to scrap in spring.
Thanks in advance!

Old 02-04-2019, 10:10 PM
Stilllookin
Trailering
Well motor is in. A few things to remember that weren't in the swap notes I seen around online so I'll add that if it helps anyone searching in future.

Far as installing engine, I left the transmission in place. Never pulled the crossmember or driveshaft. I would advise cutting the collectors and cats off first for room. I didn't do that and it bit me several times going back in. Both engines will fit out the engine bay with the hood on, intake removed, radiator removed but must be level to clear the cowl and the harmonic balancer barely clears the condenser. I left the power steering and a/c systems intact just unbolted the compressor and pump and let them fall down. Same with the starter. One of the A/C comp bolts can only be accessed once the engine is up about three inches off the mount. The Ford guy in design that thought that idea up needs a pop in the jaw on that one. Top two trans bell bolts are only accessible from the top with the intake removed.

Items that must be changed/used from donor truck;
The dipstick tube for the transmission is different (to clear the taller set exhaust manifolds) so the 5.4 one must be used.
The 5.4 cruise control/accelerator cables bracket must be the 5.4 one.
Used a used 5.4 E250 torque converter I had from a van motor swap ways back, fit great.
The exhaust collectors, cat converters and y pipe assembly from the 5.4 4x4 truck surprisingly bolts right into the 2wd truck, save for the stud on the crossmember by the rear of the tranny. it is one hole off but my grinder and a bolt/nut will correct that. I cut my y pipe in three places since I wasn't in the mood to pull the tranny crossmember from either truck (and didn't lol). So I will just weld those back together and add a short extension to the pipe leading to the 4.6 muffler and all will be well. No exhaust shop needed.
For clearance purpose, I made the mistake of chopping off the excess studs at the rear of the passenger head. Didn't realize till after those are there to hold a bracket that support the wiring harness around the curve back there. The harness sits close to the head but I wrapped with some header fiberglass tape to protect it so that oughta work. But FYI don't cut those off like I did. Aside from that, I've encountered no other mechanical interference.

The 5.4 complete engine harness plugged into the 4.6 bulkhead by the battery tray. It got cold again so it'll be a few days before I can swap the PCM, cluster and PATS crap from the 4x4 to see if all that works and that is the money shot I'm still waiting for. If the truck runs on the 5.4 electronics, PCM and cluster but on the 4.6 dash, body and trans harness, then my question will finally be answered. Once this hodge podge is complete I'll post the update again.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:59 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I believe that the PATS keys will need to be reprogrammed and all the parts "married" together to get that to work.
You can do that yourself with Forscan on a Windows computer with an OBD2 adapter.
Forscan

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-06-2019, 08:02 PM
Stilllookin
Trailering
Ok, I'm bad about updating these but I remembered this.

So, truck is finished. My question (and maybe yours if you stumble over this thread) is answered. YES, you can swap clusters, PCM's, keys and PATS box between trucks with no issues. A refresher course below;

My truck; 2002 (November 2001 build) F150 XLT 2WD scab shortbed. 4.6 Romeo, 4R70 trans, 3.55 Ford 8.8 differential, 16 inch stock rims and tires.
Donor; 2002 (March 2002 build) F150 XLT 4WD FX4 scab shortbed. 5.4 Windsor, 4R70 trans, shift on fly 4x4, 3.55 Ford 9.75 diff, 17 inch FX4 rims and tires.

What was done;
My truck has zero rust being a Cali truck so had to save it. The 4.6 had a lower end knock. The donor had a toasted tranny and bonked a large animal in the front end but had a low mileage 5.4 recently changed. Was totally savable but I didn't want a 4x4 in a work truck.
Swapped the 5.4, its engine harness (and its own sensors), the PCM, the dash cluster, the keys, and this little white PATS box behind the fuse panel mounted to the firewall inside the cab. The 5.4 harness plugged right into the bulkhead connector under the hood. No other harness was changed besides the engine. The dash, trans, underbody, brakes, etc. are all still 4.6. The dash cluster reflects the donor trucks odometer mileage so note your old vs new one if you wanna track exactly how many miles are on your body (ie my truck had 205k, donor says 273k, so no matter what this one says, the truck always has 68k less than stated). The speedo now reads 4mph faster than what you are doing based on the Garmin. Donor had 17 inch wheels, mine has 16s. Smaller wheel and shorter tire cause this. I'm not concerned, guess I'll never be speeding :-). I'm leaving the 8.8 rear diff. Its already limited slip and we all know the 5.4 will never make enough power to harm it so not concerned again.

In closing, I've drove the truck 300 miles and done roughly 20 start cycles, I have no check engine lights, no pats issues, and no issues from the now absent transfer case that the pcm is programmed for. Scroll to the above posts I did for a complete list of what didn't work between motors and this swap is straight. I only did trucks of same model year, I do not know that this crosses between the whole 97-03 platform (doubtful) but maybe 01-03ish would probably be safe bet. I recommend having a complete donor truck, I can't imagine doing the swap without one to rob needed parts from.

PM or reply to thread anytime if you have questions and I'll try to answer if it'd help someone.
-James

Old 09-02-2019, 05:49 PM
Dillin Doty
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4.6 5.4 swap few questions

Can you call me if I gave you my number ? Few questions

Originally Posted by Stilllookin
Ok, I'm bad about updating these but I remembered this.

So, truck is finished. My question (and maybe yours if you stumble over this thread) is answered. YES, you can swap clusters, PCM's, keys and PATS box between trucks with no issues. A refresher course below;

My truck; 2002 (November 2001 build) F150 XLT 2WD scab shortbed. 4.6 Romeo, 4R70 trans, 3.55 Ford 8.8 differential, 16 inch stock rims and tires.
Donor; 2002 (March 2002 build) F150 XLT 4WD FX4 scab shortbed. 5.4 Windsor, 4R70 trans, shift on fly 4x4, 3.55 Ford 9.75 diff, 17 inch FX4 rims and tires.

What was done;
My truck has zero rust being a Cali truck so had to save it. The 4.6 had a lower end knock. The donor had a toasted tranny and bonked a large animal in the front end but had a low mileage 5.4 recently changed. Was totally savable but I didn't want a 4x4 in a work truck.
Swapped the 5.4, its engine harness (and its own sensors), the PCM, the dash cluster, the keys, and this little white PATS box behind the fuse panel mounted to the firewall inside the cab. The 5.4 harness plugged right into the bulkhead connector under the hood. No other harness was changed besides the engine. The dash, trans, underbody, brakes, etc. are all still 4.6. The dash cluster reflects the donor trucks odometer mileage so note your old vs new one if you wanna track exactly how many miles are on your body (ie my truck had 205k, donor says 273k, so no matter what this one says, the truck always has 68k less than stated). The speedo now reads 4mph faster than what you are doing based on the Garmin. Donor had 17 inch wheels, mine has 16s. Smaller wheel and shorter tire cause this. I'm not concerned, guess I'll never be speeding :-). I'm leaving the 8.8 rear diff. Its already limited slip and we all know the 5.4 will never make enough power to harm it so not concerned again.

In closing, I've drove the truck 300 miles and done roughly 20 start cycles, I have no check engine lights, no pats issues, and no issues from the now absent transfer case that the pcm is programmed for. Scroll to the above posts I did for a complete list of what didn't work between motors and this swap is straight. I only did trucks of same model year, I do not know that this crosses between the whole 97-03 platform (doubtful) but maybe 01-03ish would probably be safe bet. I recommend having a complete donor truck, I can't imagine doing the swap without one to rob needed parts from.

PM or reply to thread anytime if you have questions and I'll try to answer if it'd help someone.
-James

Old 11-04-2019, 09:06 AM
steelers06steelers
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for updating your thread even tho no one ever had any answers for you. I am doing a reverse swap, 4.6 into a 5.4 truck so this was helpful to me.

Old 12-29-2023, 12:15 AM
Stilllookin
Trailering
Originally Posted by Dillin Doty
Can you call me if I gave you my number ? Few questions
i apologize I don’t ever get on here much so I never saw this. Best is probably PM me if ever needed but I hope you got whatever it was sorted out