6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New to me f350 dpf & egr questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:46 PM
jaiello
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me f350 dpf & egr questions

I just got a 2008 ford f350 6.4l diesel Harley Davidson edition. I have owned and still have a 2006 f150 lariat with the 5.4l 3valve. This is my first diesel so my questions are going to be plenty. Everyone and their grandmother is telling me to run away from the 6.4l power stroke. They are telling they grenade themselves and everything else. The funny thing is they said the same crap about my f150 with the 5.4l 3valve which by the way has 254k miles on it. The story is that I have the opportunity to get the diesel because one of my subcontractors will give it to me in lieu of a downpayment to a rental house I own along with a large cash down payment. The truck only has 90k on it and he doesn't use it for work. He has never abused it or done anything rough on it. He has also owned it since new and always serviced it at the ford dealership. I live in Ga where diesels do not have to have emission tests on them. I keep reading about the dreaded regen on these and how the high temperatures can blow up these engines. I always thought diesels where like tanks. I do not do any long distance towing or any hard pulling mostly city and highway and very once in a while I pull my boat over to the launch ramp at the marina. I want to have this truck for a long time and I am very meticulous about my trucks maintenance. Thats the reason why my 5.4l 3valve has run so well for so long. I change my oil regularly and check everything. I am good with doing mechanical work so I do all my maintenance to all my cars and boat. So I guess my question is if this was your truck would you do the egr and dpf delete and a tuner? I want to make clear I am not going to be stomping on the gas and turning up the tune to maximum hp. I am mostly looking for this truck to last me a long time and be reliable like my f150. I may do a bit more towing but not long distances . What is the best tuner and delete kits out there for the price? if I decided to do this I am not looking to spend 3k on a tuner for me to be running around town normal driving. Any suggestions from you guys that have had these diesels is greatly appreciated I know a lot about the 5.4l tritons but nothing on the 6.4l power stroke or any diesel. The f150 forum has been invaluable to me keeping my truck running great any suggestions from you guys is greatly welcomed. I am attaching pictures of both of my trucks for reference

Old 01-25-2019, 01:14 PM
Batman7777
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone put a lot in this unit. Looks nice...

Old 01-25-2019, 01:18 PM
jaiello
New User
Yea its a nice truck just trying to keep it running perfect for a long time.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:07 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Moved to 6.4L PSD engine forum.

These guys will give you good advice on the care and feeding of your Power Stroke.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:16 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
I’m prolly just like you. I just wanted a truck I didn’t have to worry about.
In the old days that was a diesel. Surprise.
I was totally ignorant about the requirements of modern diesels. Thanks California.
That said, I love my truck, but, it takes money and maintenance to keep them running.
I have always worked on my own stuff so I can do most any job in my driveway. I do get my fluids changed at Jiffy lube though. They just do it a hell of a lot quicker than I can. But I’ve found you really have to watch them. This past time they over filled me.
I always run cetane booster (more money) in my fuel even though I only buy fuel from good companies that get high use. Supposedly I don’t need to, but my truck still runs well so........
The whole regen burner deal is annoying because of the possible problems it can cause.
Change oil often. At least 5k (I’ve gone over a few times). My truck has 210k miles.
I hope your exhaust manifold bolts stay intact (mine didn’t).
I figure by 2010 they got the HPFP problems worked out (cross fingers).
They’re wonderful trucks but need help to stay that way.
Oh your delete question. If I lived in a place like you do that has no inspections I’d rip that stuff outta there fast. JMHO

Old 01-25-2019, 06:42 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By the looks of the exhaust tip it looks to be deleted already...maybe just a different tip but whatever the case I'd run from a 6.4 regardless how much it was babied or taken care of. Just my $.02

Old 02-01-2019, 10:11 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
you might not be able to do DPF deletes in your local due to emissions testing .....

general 6.4l survival tactics

a. switch to waterless coolant. $400 waterless coolant will not corrode your water pump, egr.
b. get a coolant filter to prevent the coolant / oil exchange cooler from clogging. $200
c. get an airdog fuel filter to filter out water and contaminates so you don't blow up your injectors and fuel pump. $800
d. get a bypass oil filter to filter out metal fragments and metal particles $400
e. do something about the DPF...in NYC if you remove it..its got to be back on for the annual inspection. if you go the tuner route..could set you back 600 - 800
f. go with the severe duty maint schedule and don't try to run extened oil drains and filter run times
g. use a fuel additive...opti lube seasonal has a blend for all seasons
h. doesn't sound like you need to boost power to be able to pass corvettes while towing 5th wheels up hills...so we wont talk about that
I. most important...any signs of trouble ..shut the motor off and park it where ever it fails...do not try to limp it home or limp it to the next freeway exit.
j. read up on 6.4l issues, problems, etc so you will recongnize the warning signs and have an order of magnitude repair idea
k. buy a good toolbox and tool kit...you are going to need it.

and now for the rant...I have a 2010 f-450 6.4l. I bought it in 2015 with 84K miles. 4 months after I bought it, it needed a rocker job. no ford dealers in my area would touch it since it was out of warranty. so it sat in my drive way until I figured out how to do the rocker job myself. my advise to anyone who is thinking about buying a 6.4l is do not buy a 6.4l, and certainly do not even think about buying a 2008 6.4l.

good luck.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:34 AM
Larrythelariat
New User
nice looking truck, I would recommend doing a 4inch straight pipe with egr delete along with H&S tuner. they are out of date but you can still pick them up online for $600. as for the exhaust a 4inch pipe it will not be as loud towing the boat.( hair dryer) if you want loud go 5inch. also get a cold air intake. I would recommend a S&B but shop around. put your tuner on stock or tow in the lowest mode and you should be fine for years to come. I own 2, one with 170k miles that is a work truck #13000 2008 and one that tows the camper with 105k 2010. get a $500 inspection and go from there. it will tell you what needs to happen or be done to the truck for reliability. also change the fluids when your manual says to. not just oil. but trans, fuel filter, coolant, ect. also switch your coolant from the ford gold to the orange. gold with corrode the internals. hope this helps you out.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:25 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
and certainly do not even think about buying a 2008 6.4l.
good luck.
Where were you when I bought my ‘08 6.4

Having said that, for those of us that have them it’s great to get a survival guide.
And agree you will need to be able to work on it yourself in order to keep money in your wallet, not someone else’s.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:00 AM
TwoEyedJack
New User
Hi, I have an '08 6.4 F250. I got it about three years ago with 75K miles on it. The first thing I did was get a programmer and straight pipe from Gearbox Z called DPF-R+ off Ebay. I think it was around $450 or so. I installed it and the difference was amazing. Fuel economy went up about 15%, no more regen, and the extra power was definitely noticeable. I also put in a coolant filter, change the fuel filters every 10K miles, always run additive in the fuel, and I never hot rod it. I also use a semi-synthetic oil. It pulls my 14.5K lb. equipment trailer like a kitten on a string. I think nearly all the problems with the 6.4 stem from oil dilution, EGR fouling the turbos, and tuners with way too much timing. The DPF-R+ tuning is very mild, and shuts off the EGR valve. My truck has about 107K miles now and no issues other than a new radiator right after I bought it. It is towing 80% of its miles. I think if you are going to have an around town truck, you really need to get rid of the DPF before it plugs up. You are lucky to live in an area with no emissions testing. I have to crawl under mine every two years to put all that crap back on. I just did it in December. It's not difficult once you figure out how to use big ratchet straps to pull the pipes apart, but it does take some time.