73 f100 header help - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

73 f100 header help

Old 01-21-2019, 10:34 PM
Mikey90
New User
Mikey90 is starting off with a positive reputation.
73 f100 header help

I have a 73 f100 4x4 with a 4 speed manual transmission, I want to buy headers for it but it has a 302 from 1980 swapped into into so I font know how to find out if any headers will fit before I order them. I have a set of long tubes that I bought for my 90 f150 before I sold it but they look like they will hit the clutch linkage. I was told by hedman to try a blockhugger style header because they should be more universal fit. Has anybody had experience with the block hugger style headers?

Old 01-22-2019, 08:07 AM
El Caballo
Junior User
El Caballo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 302 in my 2wd 1978 F100 and there are shorty headers that look like they could fit. They are for 70ís Torinos, etc. the right side goes straight back like the cast iron one on my engine is now. I have not taken the plunge yet as I am just beginning to make my build sheet. I think perhaps you canít be afraid to use some hammer persuasion on any headers that you get.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:06 AM
Mikey90
New User
Originally Posted by El Caballo View Post
I have a 302 in my 2wd 1978 F100 and there are shorty headers that look like they could fit. They are for 70ís Torinos, etc. the right side goes straight back like the cast iron one on my engine is now. I have not taken the plunge yet as I am just beginning to make my build sheet. I think perhaps you canít be afraid to use some hammer persuasion on any headers that you get.
was really hoping to do long tubes but I'll definitely give the shortys a look, thanks

Old 01-25-2019, 07:52 AM
El Caballo
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mikey90 View Post
was really hoping to do long tubes but I'll definitely give the shortys a look, thanks
LMC has log tube Hedmannís, Iím surprised nobody on here has experience with long tube headers or wouldnít chime in. I donít know if you have any access to Motor Trend TV and Engine Masters but they did a dyno test on long tube headers and denting them with hammers until they looked like they were run over by a truck and there was no appreciable power loss on a high horsepower engine that is hooked up to all kinds of sensors. I would compare the headers you have to the ones they say are for your current truck and see where it would work and if you want to try to remove your iron stockers and try to fit them either from up top or from below.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:24 AM
El Caballo
Junior User

Looking at the ceramic headers for a 1973 4wd and the 1990 ones that are for both 2wd and 4wd, you can see where the right side is really close. The left side of the 1990ís might need some persuasion on the rearmost tube but that might just be along the frame. What do you think? Maybe some pics of your engine bay would help.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:41 AM
Mikey90
New User
Originally Posted by El Caballo View Post

Looking at the ceramic headers for a 1973 4wd and the 1990 ones that are for both 2wd and 4wd, you can see where the right side is really close. The left side of the 1990ís might need some persuasion on the rearmost tube but that might just be along the frame. What do you think? Maybe some pics of your engine bay would help.
the problem that I'm having is that apparently in 73 the 4wd never came with a 302 so there is no headers made specifically for my truck.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-89356/year/1990/make/ford/model/f-150
those are the headers that I have but my main concern is that its gonna hit the clutch linkage but I'll get some pictures of the engine bay and the headers when I get home from work

Old 01-25-2019, 10:04 AM
El Caballo
Junior User
I think you might have more room because of the 302. Either way, I am interested in this for myself and for the sheer interest in solving the problem.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:38 AM
caravaggio2000
Senior User
caravaggio2000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'd go with shorties and find the ones for a 1980 with a 302. If for some reason they don't fit correctly, send them back.

I have long tubes on my 390fe 73 F100 and I can tell you they were a real pain to get in and barely fit.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:39 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
axelgawn is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 73 with a 347 stroker (302 based block) I have some Flowtech Long tube Headers and they will fit just barely with no persuasion necessary. they are 1.75 OD headers but they clear the factory starter and are no where near the shift linkage on my truck. Mine are painted with Heat wrap on them.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:13 PM
El Caballo
Junior User
Well, a 1-5/8Ē tube header would give a bit more room. A stroker will need the 1-3/4Ē headers, plus that wrapping adds to the near clearance.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:03 PM
Mikey90
New User
So I haven't gotten a chance to even think about headers lately I've been so busy but now I snapped the yoke on my rear axle so I need to get that fixed and get the heater goin in the truck now that its gettin cold out and then I will come back to headers hopefully hahaha, definitely gonna try my hardest to get the ones I have to fit on there and if they dont, well I'll cross that bridge when I get there
thanks for all the responses!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.