F150. 4x4 steering - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

F150. 4x4 steering

Old 01-19-2019, 12:11 AM
datree
Freshman User
datree is starting off with a positive reputation.
F150. 4x4 steering

Hi All,
Was greasing my car today and noticed one of my balljoint is torn. I want to replace it but I don't know what it's called. It's in the front it connects the steering column to the front tierods i think it's called. I hope that explains it. I'll take pictures In the morning. Or maybe the pitman arm?

Old 01-19-2019, 07:08 AM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
Donít know, but if you go to any auto parts website, they should have exploding parts diagrams that should show exactly what youíre looking for.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:04 AM
Mo8414
Junior User
Mo8414 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe a pitman arm?

Old 01-19-2019, 09:37 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I believe you mean that the boot is torn? You can replace the boot after disassembly. The boot should be available from other places as well. Which location are you referring to?

from LMC catalog for reference

Old 01-21-2019, 05:17 PM
datree
Freshman User
Hi All,
Thanks for all the responses looks like its number 4 on the right part of the diagram. That ball joint is torn i am attaching the image.

Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks View Post
I believe you mean that the boot is torn? You can replace the boot after disassembly. The boot should be available from other places as well. Which location are you referring to?

from LMC catalog for reference

Old 01-21-2019, 05:52 PM
datree
Freshman User
I am not sure if the boot for the drag link is replaceable since it is a refillable type. If it isn't I have seen online you can get an entire "steering kit" for around $100 and the drag Link runs around $20-$80 depending on brand and where you get it. Any suggestions on brand and should i just go ahead and replace them all since i am doing one? If it is ill just go grab a boot and swap it seems straight forward.
thanks again all!

Old 01-22-2019, 08:30 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
the problem with just changing the boot is you have to take it apart. and if the joint is not bad before you take the "pickle fork" to it, they tend to be looser after taking it apart. i do not replace just the boot, i replace the link.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:39 AM
timbersteel
Postmaster
timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by datree View Post
I am not sure if the boot for the drag link is replaceable since it is a refillable type. If it isn't I have seen online you can get an entire "steering kit" for around $100 and the drag Link runs around $20-$80 depending on brand and where you get it. Any suggestions on brand and should i just go ahead and replace them all since i am doing one? If it is ill just go grab a boot and swap it seems straight forward.
thanks again all!
Stick with Motorcraft for steering links from pitman arm. Swap inner tie rods for Motorcraft. Outer tie rods and ball joints for Moog. Inner will run you $46 And $87 for Motorcraft. It's worth it.
Don't cheap out. If you do, you'll hate yourself later when you're doing again shortly. Been there, done that.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.