54 F100 Parking Brake - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

54 F100 Parking Brake

 
  #1  
Old 01-13-2019, 09:16 PM
Scott McCoy
Scott McCoy is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Dover, PA
Posts: 9
Scott McCoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
54 F100 Parking Brake

HI all, this is my first post in this part of the forums. My son and I bought a 54 F100 at the beginning of December that has the rear end out of a late 60's Ford Truck. Its either a Dana 44 or 60; definitely not a 9". The parking brake was never hooked up when the rear was swapped and the cables are seized and mangled. Will the factory 54 cables work on my rear or do I need to get the ones for the rear I have?
 
  #2  
Old 01-13-2019, 10:28 PM
truckeemtnfords
truckeemtnfords is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Truckee, CA
Posts: 2,589
truckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud of
Stock ones should work, almost all diffs I have worked on have the same size parking brake cable hole.
 
  #3  
Old 01-14-2019, 09:06 AM
artscott61's Avatar
artscott61
artscott61 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: southwest missouri
Posts: 990
artscott61 has a good reputation on FTE.artscott61 has a good reputation on FTE.
Scott where are you located ? I have some newer cables that I bought but think they fit all like truckee said I have left and right still in package they are for a 70 F-100 but did not need them as I used the cables that were on the truck when I changed out to a 9 ". If you want them I will go look for them it is an item that I will not need anymore.
 
  #4  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:27 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is offline
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 80,834
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Scott McCoy View Post
HI all, this is my first post in this part of the forums. My son and I bought a 54 F100 at the beginning of December that has the rear end out of a late 60's Ford Truck. Its either a Dana 44 or 60; definitely not a 9". The parking brake was never hooked up when the rear was swapped and the cables are seized and mangled. Will the factory 54 cables work on my rear or do I need to get the ones for the rear I have?
What size are the rear brake shoes, 11" x 1 3/4" (1953/67) or 11" x 2 1/4" (1968/72)?

1959/67 F100's with Limited Slip came with Dana 44's, because the 9" wasn't available w/Limited Slip in F100's until 1968.

1963/67 F100's were also available with Dana 60.2's and 60.3's with Limited Slip. All Dana's have an inspection cover, the 9" does not.

The Dana 60 was only installed in F250's, have 12" brakes and 8 lug wheels on a 6.50" bolt circle.
 
  #5  
Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 PM
Scott McCoy
Scott McCoy is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Dover, PA
Posts: 9
Scott McCoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by artscott61 View Post
Scott where are you located ? I have some newer cables that I bought but think they fit all like truckee said I have left and right still in package they are for a 70 F-100 but did not need them as I used the cables that were on the truck when I changed out to a 9 ". If you want them I will go look for them it is an item that I will not need anymore.
artscott61, I live outside York, PA. What would you want for them?
 
  #6  
Old 01-17-2019, 08:29 PM
half ton
half ton is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 64
half ton is starting off with a positive reputation.
My two cents...if you're not trying to go completely original (truck has already been modified anyway), I'd skip the original parking brake handle and grab just about any parking brake pedal from your local wrecking yard. That damn handle has nailed me in the shins more times than I care to count. So in my current build, I'm using the parking brake pedal from my donor 89 Crown Vic.
 
  #7  
Old 01-17-2019, 08:41 PM
Scott McCoy
Scott McCoy is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Dover, PA
Posts: 9
Scott McCoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
What size are the rear brake shoes, 11" x 1 3/4" (1953/67) or 11" x 2 1/4" (1968/72)?

1959/67 F100's with Limited Slip came with Dana 44's, because the 9" wasn't available w/Limited Slip in F100's until 1968.

1963/67 F100's were also available with Dana 60.2's and 60.3's with Limited Slip. All Dana's have an inspection cover, the 9" does not.

The Dana 60 was only installed in F250's, have 12" brakes and 8 lug wheels on a 6.50" bolt circle.
Hi Bill, I haven't pulled the rear wheels yet so I'm not sure what width the shoes are. The axle is definitely a Dana and it is LS. I did sand the axle tube some and found numbers but they don't seem to match the info I'm finding online.

 
  #8  
Old 01-17-2019, 09:42 PM
Fomoko1's Avatar
Fomoko1
Fomoko1 is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Posts: 52,297
Fomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputation
I used stock 53 cables on mine with a 9'' rear axle and they seem to work well..
 
  #9  
Old 01-17-2019, 11:47 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is offline
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 80,834
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Scott McCoy View Post
Hi Bill, I haven't pulled the rear wheels yet so I'm not sure what width the shoes are. The axle is definitely a Dana and it is LS. I did sand the axle tube some and found numbers but they don't seem to match the info I'm finding online.
602809 is the Dana ID number, but I don't see a suffix used to identify it properly. But, these Dana ID numbers are not listed in the truck parts catalog until 1973 and then they begin with 603.

The Dana axles prior to 1973 could only be identified by the Ford AXLE ID tag, located under two of the bolts that retain the inspection cover to the housing. Many are missing today.

 
  #10  
Old 01-18-2019, 09:28 AM
artscott61's Avatar
artscott61
artscott61 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: southwest missouri
Posts: 990
artscott61 has a good reputation on FTE.artscott61 has a good reputation on FTE.
Scott sorry I did not get back to you right away have been out having fun. Chili Bowl Tulsa . I will message you the price as we are not reallly allowed to sell on this page even tho they can’t get us our swag.
 
  #11  
Old 01-18-2019, 09:42 AM
Scott McCoy
Scott McCoy is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Dover, PA
Posts: 9
Scott McCoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
602809 is the Dana ID number, but I don't see a suffix used to identify it properly. But, these Dana ID numbers are not listed in the truck parts catalog until 1973 and then they begin with 603.

The Dana axles prior to 1973 could only be identified by the Ford AXLE ID tag, located under two of the bolts that retain the inspection cover to the housing. Many are missing today.
surprisingly the axle tag is still there. It's not a great picture

 
  #12  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is offline
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 80,834
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Scott McCoy View Post
surprisingly the axle tag is still there. It's not a great picture
Prefix is C6TA (1966) .. I cannot make out the suffix, but it's one of these in this pic:

Post what it is, and I'll tell you what you've got.


 
  #13  
Old 01-20-2019, 05:05 PM
Scott McCoy
Scott McCoy is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Dover, PA
Posts: 9
Scott McCoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
Prefix is C6TA (1966) .. I cannot make out the suffix, but it's one of these in this pic:

Post what it is, and I'll tell you what you've got.


the suffix is AV. The number below that is 2809 2. At least I think it's a 8. Too cold right now to go out and double check
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.