Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Intermittant rough running

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 01:51 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by st8yd
Pulled ICP sensor plug and it is full of oil. But running it with sensor unplugged nothing changed. If that was the problem wouldn't it have cleared up?
If the plug is oily the ICP sensor is dying or dead, should be replaced.

If the ICP was working correctly and you unplugged it, the truck would run worse. If it runs the same plugged in or not, then it's safe to assume the ICP is not working.

Get Torque Pro app on an android phone so you can read the ICP pressure, then you can see it working.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:02 PM
st8yd
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
If the plug is oily the ICP sensor is dying or dead, should be replaced.

If the ICP was working correctly and you unplugged it, the truck would run worse. If it runs the same plugged in or not, then it's safe to assume the ICP is not working.

Get Torque Pro app on an android phone so you can read the ICP pressure, then you can see it working.
So apparently the ICP is bad, shouldn't this have shown up when the mechanic scanned it the last couple times?

Old 01-26-2019, 04:19 PM
st8yd
Tuned
So apparently the ICP is bad, shouldn't this have shown up when the mechanic scanned it the last couple times?
Shouldn't it?

Old 01-26-2019, 04:28 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Shouldn't it?
As mentioned previously, not all scanners read these PCM's. There are a select few that do, and "mechanics" are not always using one of those select few.

Yes, the ICP would have shown up, probably out of range or something similar to that. Replace ONLY WITH OEM SENSORS. If not, do it again and again until you do.

Check RiffRaff Diesel or Diesrl-O-Rings for the ICP.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:33 PM
st8yd
Tuned
I bought two OEM ICP sensors from Riff Raff, the OBDlink MX and bought the torque pro app. I have the ScanGauge II in the Ex and saw a vid where someone was reading the ICP so I thought it would be a good idea to see what it read prior to changing it out I looked through the scanguage and do not have that setting as an option. So I plugged in the OBDLink and the torque pro app and can't find the ICP in the options of it either.
So I cranked it up for a minute and as usual it did the romp romp romp bit. Changed out the sensor and Hallelujah it ran smooth.
I bought two sensors because my F250 is acting similarly though not as consistant, sometimes worse, and when I checked the plug it was full of oil as well. So I left the EX running and moved the step stool and tools over to my truck and about the time I started to remove the plug on the sensor the EX went back to its old ways romp romp romp. I shut her down, took the sensor out and put the other new one in, fired her up and immediately, romp romp romp.
So any recommendations now?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2019, 06:01 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I don't think a faulty ICP sensor throws a code, does it? You would have to monitor its readings and know what they are supposed to be, even then the IPR could be suspect if the numbers were off.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:26 AM
st8yd
Tuned
I noticed last night when we went out to dinner (about 15 mi oneway) on the way back the romp romp romp pretty much quit, but it would frequently seem to sort of cut out/run rough real briefly, a split second.
As mentioned before, now this a.m. its back to the romp romp romp.
Used torque pro to scan it this morning and it only shows PO677 (glow plug #7) which has been that way for a couple years, its florida so it hasn't been an issue.
Thanks

Old 01-27-2019, 01:38 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Might still have oil up in the connector, pop it off and clean with brake cleaner or similar.

For the Torque app it won't work right out of the box. Go to settings then Manage extra PIDS/sensors. Open the menu there and Add predefined set. Select the Ford (Incl Powerstroke) set and load it up. Now go back out to Realtime Info and you'll be able to read the Powerstroke specific stuff. Injector control pressure and Injection pressure regulator duty cycle % will show if the ICP and IPR are working properly. These trucks really are a bit different, and it's no surprise when folks have them scanned by a mechanic and they find nothing. If you want to get crazy with PIDS there is a great thread on this forum to help you add custom ones.

Here's a video of how to add extra PIDS. The interface looks different than mine but the steps are the same.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:32 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I don't think a faulty ICP sensor throws a code, does it? You would have to monitor its readings and know what they are supposed to be, even then the IPR could be suspect if the numbers were off.
Yes, the ICP will throw a code if below or above desired pressure demanded from the PCM.

I noticed last night when we went out to dinner (about 15 mi oneway) on the way back the romp romp romp pretty much quit, but it would frequently seem to sort of cut out/run rough real briefly, a split second.
As mentioned before, now this a.m. its back to the romp romp romp.
Used torque pro to scan it this morning and it only shows PO677 (glow plug #7) which has been that way for a couple years, its florida so it hasn't been an issue.
Thanks
This observation is classic for a bad, old CPS or a aftermarket sensor. I reviewed the post and didn't find you have replaced that sensor (CPS) unless it was in another post. CPS seldom throws a code unless extended cranking is involved.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:37 PM
st8yd
Tuned
Originally Posted by Hussler
This observation is classic for a bad, old CPS or a aftermarket sensor. I reviewed the post and didn't find you have replaced that sensor (CPS) unless it was in another post. CPS seldom throws a code unless extended cranking is involved.
No I havn't, but from your post I get the idea it needs to be OEM also? If this is bad would it also throw a code?

Old 01-27-2019, 03:04 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No I havn't, but from your post I get the idea it needs to be OEM also? If this is bad would it also throw a code?
No, OEM only such as Ford or International or Riffraff Diesel. CPS seldom throws a code unless extending cranking.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:31 PM
st8yd
Tuned
I cleaned it with brake cleaner.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:37 PM
st8yd
Tuned
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Might still have oil up in the connector, pop it off and clean with brake cleaner or similar.

For the Torque app it won't work right out of the box. Go to settings then Manage extra PIDS/sensors. Open the menu there and Add predefined set. Select the Ford (Incl Powerstroke) set and load it up. Now go back out to Realtime Info and you'll be able to read the Powerstroke specific stuff. Injector control pressure and Injection pressure regulator duty cycle % will show if the ICP and IPR are working properly. These trucks really are a bit different, and it's no surprise when folks have them scanned by a mechanic and they find nothing. If you want to get crazy with PIDS there is a great thread on this forum to help you add custom ones.

Here's a video of how to add extra PIDS. The interface looks different than mine but the steps are the same.
Thanks, got it.
So the HPOP psi at idle bounces from 450 to 650.
The IPR at idle was app 7%

Old 01-30-2019, 06:56 AM
st8yd
Tuned
Changing the ICP sensor fixed my F250.

Waiting on the CPS from Riff Raff. Stopped by the local ford dealer and the only one they had was gray so I passed, called the other one and they said all they had was gray, so I ordered the black one from Riff Raff.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:00 PM
st8yd
Tuned
Got the cps changed and it is 90% better. However it does better when the weather is warmer anyway. It still does it faintly occasionally. so thanks to all for the help so far.
Any suggestions what to look for to fix it all the way?