Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Tools needed for 4wd actuators and hub replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 07:22 PM
Fordtrucktexan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tools needed for 4wd actuators and hub replacement?

Hey everyone

2013 F150 Ecoboost 4x4, 185k miles

While driving down the road I noticed a light buzzing noise coming from the front end, and when I wiggle the steering wheel left and right, you can feel the buzzing/vibration in the steering wheel. When I engage 4wd, the buzzing turns into a deeper tone, hard to explain, but you can also feel it more pronounced in the steering wheel with 4wd engaged. Since 4wd actuators are a known wear item with these trucks, I'm going to assume mine are bad, or are heading that way. I'm also going to check out the hub assemblies and change them too if needed.

Couple of questions:

What brand of replacement parts have you had good or bad luck with? I priced OEM parts for the job and I'll spend the $ if needed, but really don't want to live on ramen noodles for a while lol

What all tools are needed for the repair (assume I'll need to replace hubs and actuators)? Don't want to get it torn down and find out I need some special puller.

Any other items I should check out while I have it all apart? Already planning on checking out the ball joints and cv's.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-09-2019, 09:05 PM
awq134
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't remember what brand i bought, but it was the mid-priced one from rock auto. It's been installed for a little over 2 years with no issues to date. No special tools are needed, just some grease to re-lube the axle shaft, iwe engagement teeth. After you get the wheel and brake caliper removed, remove the small axle nut. Then remove the upper ball jount nut so you can disconnect the steering knuckle at the top (this will allow the proper clearance to push the axle in far enough to get the iwe/ hub removed). then remove the 3 bolts(8mm i belive)that hold the iwe/hub to the steering knuckle. Disconnect the vacuum line from the iwe/hub and then remove the hub. Make sure to be careful on the reinstall, especially when reinstalling the axle into the hub. make sure you don't snag the axle on the dust cover or the air bladder.

Hope this helps,
Q.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:01 AM
Outlaw1074
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordtrucktexan
Hey everyone

2013 F150 Ecoboost 4x4, 185k miles

While driving down the road I noticed a light buzzing noise coming from the front end, and when I wiggle the steering wheel left and right, you can feel the buzzing/vibration in the steering wheel. When I engage 4wd, the buzzing turns into a deeper tone, hard to explain, but you can also feel it more pronounced in the steering wheel with 4wd engaged. Since 4wd actuators are a known wear item with these trucks, I'm going to assume mine are bad, or are heading that way. I'm also going to check out the hub assemblies and change them too if needed.

Couple of questions:

What brand of replacement parts have you had good or bad luck with? I priced OEM parts for the job and I'll spend the $ if needed, but really don't want to live on ramen noodles for a while lol

What all tools are needed for the repair (assume I'll need to replace hubs and actuators)? Don't want to get it torn down and find out I need some special puller.

Any other items I should check out while I have it all apart? Already planning on checking out the ball joints and cv's.

Thanks in advance
Go with OEM parts for sure. They are worth the money. They usually come pre-greased, but be sure because you dont want to over or under grease the areas. The non-oem are usually some chinese crap and you're going to get what you paid for, they dont last. I've changed my hubs, iwe's, calipers, rotors, brake soft lines, and pads all in one shot and it's all relatively easy. I do suggest trying to do as much of that at the same time as possible. I know it costs a bit of money, but continuously having to lift the truck and remove the front wheels gets old really fast. I also suggest writing down the date you change the parts and mileage of the truck when you do it. It's good to have, just in case you get the occasional faulty part. That doesnt usually happen, but it can. As far as tools, I used my trucks jack, my small metric(none over 22mm) socket set, a breaker bar, a rubber mallet(just in case), a pry bar, some music and a few beers. Remember too, if you open any hydraulic line, you'll need to potentially fill and definitely bleed the system of any air. There's a few guys on YouTube who have the whole process in depth.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:02 PM
90Ford73
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
As always make sure the threads are clean on the tie rod end nut and the upper control arm ball joint nut. I got a mini wire brush kit at Napa that is great for that kind of stuff. Hit the nuts with some rust penetrant before you start. You might have to work the nuts a little bit if you feel them start to bind, but do so as you dont want to damage the threads and have to replace the whole arm. A tip I found very helpful is to take the upper control arm nut all the way off, then put it back on a few threads and tap the side (always the side on something tapered, not from the top down) of the steering knuckle so it pops down from its taper onto the nut. Otherwise, the threads are grimy and the nut will turn the whole tapered part of the ball joint and just go round and round. If that happens, put a pair of vise grips below the threads on the hex part of it. I think it was made for an 8mm(?) wrench to go on there, but a two day old Tim Horton’s donut is harder than that metal. Fordtechmakuloco has a great video with all the torque specs and such on YouTube that I followed when I did it.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:44 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
As much as I like to buy genuine parts these are jot one of those items. The stock ones and the Motorcraft are no worse and no better than the aftermarket. I use the 40.00 ones from Ebay. Buy at least 6 pairs to keep on hand at the shop. They fit all trucks 04-14. Also consider replacing the IWE solenoid and the hub unit bearings while you have everything apart especially at that mileage.