Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P20B9 Code?

Old 01-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Royson12
Posting Guru
Royson12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
P20B9 Code?

I have 2 codes popping up. One is a P20B9 "Reductant heater A circuit open". and the other is a historical. P20BA "Reductant heater A control performance" I have no idea what either mean. From what I have found, it's possibly a loos wire on the DPF heater? could that be the issue? If so, where? LOL.... If not, what should I check? I clear the code, it seems to stay off, until I kill the truck and restart it. Its a 2013 F250 6.7 just hit 6 figures on the mileage. It is not deleted, it's bone stock, and as far as I know it has allways been that way. But, I am the second owner. I have the means to test, and repair. Just don't, know what, or where to start? Any help to save me lots of dollars would be appreciated.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
You might still be within the warranty to get the DEF heater replaced. Ford recently extended the warranty. Contact your local dealer and see if your truck is eligible.

You can go to the Ford Owner site and register your truck. It should tell you if you are eligible or not. But option is to call the dealer.

Official Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Owner Site Personalized Owner Information

Old 01-02-2019, 05:47 AM
Royson12
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post
You might still be within the warranty to get the DEF heater replaced. Ford recently extended the warranty. Contact your local dealer and see if your truck is eligible.

You can go to the Ford Owner site and register your truck. It should tell you if you are eligible or not. But option is to call the dealer.

Thanks! I will go to the website first, I don't really trust my local Ford dealer. Lol, that's sad. From my experience with them, they seem to care more about sales, than
service. Will it tell me on the website, if it's still covered?

Old 01-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Ed in Maine
Elder User
Ed in Maine is starting off with a positive reputation.
A thread of mine has some info, here.
I'd recommend dropping your DPF tank and ohming out some of the heater elements before you buy anything. I bought a new tank heater and it turns out my heated line was the issue.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:57 PM
Royson12
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post

I don't see it? Am I looking in the right place? I did register it, and this is what popped up. Nothing seems to do with the DEF heater?

Old 01-03-2019, 02:59 PM
Royson12
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Royson12 View Post
I don't see it? Am I looking in the right place? I did register it, and this is what popped up. Nothing seems to do with the DEF heater?

And are these 2 items something I should have looked at? The media system did quit working for about a month, then all of a sudden, it started working again? LOL..

Old 01-03-2019, 03:28 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Apparently your truck falls into the void where the DEF sensor/heater was not covered under the extended warranty. Recently, there was another forum member who is in the same boat as you are. Not sure why Ford did not cover all the 2011-2016 trucks.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:41 PM
Miler
New User
Miler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good evening, all. I, too, have gotten the "P20BA – Reductant heater control A – circuit performance problem code," and I took my '14 F350 to the dealer for service. Of course, they found the same code. They ordered the heater (which is now on back order). Because I need the truck daily I could not let it sit. What I need to know is how careful do I need to be driving the truck without the DEF tank heater. We are not real cold and not below freezing often. Ideas?

Old 01-10-2019, 07:56 AM
L3dford
Senior User
L3dford has a good reputation on FTE.L3dford has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Miler View Post
Good evening, all. I, too, have gotten the "P20BA Reductant heater control A circuit performance problem code," and I took my '14 F350 to the dealer for service. Of course, they found the same code. They ordered the heater (which is now on back order). Because I need the truck daily I could not let it sit. What I need to know is how careful do I need to be driving the truck without the DEF tank heater. We are not real cold and not below freezing often. Ideas?
I started getting this code back in Oct. on my 2013. I have Torquepro so I just kept clearing the code when the CEL came on. I've never had an issue with going into limp mode or any other issues but I did notice when the CEL is on the power is reduced some. Others have reported the same but there are those that have felt no difference in power.
I did just replace my DEF heater on the 5th, so I drove it a few months with this issue. Mine also lands outside of the CSP as well. It just doesn't make sense why 18M01 skips the 13-15 F250's and F350's.
I purchased the Dorman (904372) heater and takes about an hour to do. It's a straight forward replacement and the hardest part of this was disconnecting the electrical connector above the tank before you can drop it.

Others can chime in but all in all you should be fine driving it while you wait for the parts. If you want to do it yourself and save some $$$ there's some good youtube videos on dropping the tank and replacing the heater. If you're going to wait and it will be a while, I'd think about getting a code reader to reset the CEL if you don't have one.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:09 PM
Miler
New User
Miler is starting off with a positive reputation.
DEF Heater

Thanks, L3 for the input. So far I have not noticed any problems, but I thought it to my advantage to hear what the boards have to say on the matter. I am also thinking of getting the Dorman unit, and I have a friend who is good (younger) at getting under the truck when I need. I did purchase a code reader just for my own peace of mind.

Thanks, again for the input.

Ray

Old 01-28-2019, 04:57 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Postmaster
Lubbockguy1979 has a very good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a very good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a very good reputation on FTE.Lubbockguy1979 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Mine is doing this. From my searching it appears they clear the code amd wait fornit to come back. Called the dealership they need to the truck 3 days minimum since they are behind. Glad i bought a vehicle i didnt need to drive

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: