Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

2019 Annual B.S. Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by NorthwesternCowboy
Stock '03 turbo with updated drain what-cha-doos and a new VGT solenoid. Truck runs on a custom street tune that has some custom tuning done to boost maximums for fuel pressure delivery so that my turbo spools up and the engine is ready to burn fuel before the rails go full dump mode to the injectors. Supposed to help keep the truck 'clean' and does a really good job of delivering power without any black smoke. I think the only way I can get even a poof of black is if I burp it standing at a street light, and even that is just a little afterthought poof. Doesn't pass emissions though, but I think it fails at a number that is barely over the max for the tests (30) - not that that matters anymore.
darn woulda thought with all your other mods youd have upgraded the turbo to something else... mine had a literal melt down....

Old 02-06-2019, 07:51 PM
NorthwesternCowboy
Laughing Gas
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83
darn woulda thought with all your other mods youd have upgraded the turbo to something else... mine had a literal melt down....
I had the option to pay for a new stage one or just replace the VGT Solenoid for half the price, so I opted for the VGT replacement. I don't want to replace the turbo until I can go stage 2 or stage 3, but that will also require some transmission buffing and bigger injectors and the like, therefore I'm still here on boring ol' 10-tooth stocky.

If/When I ever go for the upgrade, it'll probably be a Dan's Diesel Performance or Garrett Powermax. I like Dan, he seems to know his stuff and his turbos look awesome.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:45 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
I had the option to pay for a new stage one or just replace the VGT Solenoid for half the price, so I opted for the VGT replacement. I don't want to replace the turbo until I can go stage 2 or stage 3, but that will also require some transmission buffing and bigger injectors and the like, therefore I'm still here on boring ol' 10-tooth stocky.

If/When I ever go for the upgrade, it'll probably be a Dan's Diesel Performance or Garrett Powermax. I like Dan, he seems to know his stuff and his turbos look awesome.
I had a thread asking on the Pmax under the 6.0 section but everyones saying KCTurbo... Stage 1.5 is what everyones been recommending but reading on their site i like the Stage 1 a little better for me... still has the 10 blade turbine wheel option... im still on the stock injectors but truck just felt like at full throttle the turbo just couldnt meet the air supply demands the engine was wanting.. would puff a bit from a dig when you floored it... but clean up once the turbo got going.. but come back when the turbo seemed to top out... i was getting 36/37 psi out of the stocker... everyone keeps telling me thats impossible but i was doing it...

Old 02-07-2019, 12:01 AM
NorthwesternCowboy
Laughing Gas
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83
I had a thread asking on the Pmax under the 6.0 section but everyones saying KCTurbo... Stage 1.5 is what everyones been recommending but reading on their site i like the Stage 1 a little better for me... still has the 10 blade turbine wheel option... im still on the stock injectors but truck just felt like at full throttle the turbo just couldnt meet the air supply demands the engine was wanting.. would puff a bit from a dig when you floored it... but clean up once the turbo got going.. but come back when the turbo seemed to top out... i was getting 36/37 psi out of the stocker... everyone keeps telling me thats impossible but i was doing it...
KC, that's what I was brain-farting on earlier when thinking brands - definitely a one of the best choices. I get 33-33 on my tow tune when it really spools up for hill climbs. That seems to get the uneasy eye from the guys, but it's studded so that's like the universal solution to all the problems and now I can just boost to the moon, right? Right?........ Lol, guess we'll find out...

Old 02-07-2019, 02:07 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
KC, that's what I was brain-farting on earlier when thinking brands - definitely a one of the best choices. I get 33-33 on my tow tune when it really spools up for hill climbs. That seems to get the uneasy eye from the guys, but it's studded so that's like the universal solution to all the problems and now I can just boost to the moon, right? Right?........ Lol, guess we'll find out...
lol studded and was on the street tune even when i was towing heavy... i didnt bother swapping to the tow tune i just left it... and definitely agree those uphill pulls really get the turbo going... the last HEAVY load i had in the truck was during one of the moving runs... had the bed loaded up with a mix of cinder blocks, solid concrete blocks. Pallet load of 12"x12"x1" patio stones, odd bits and things of other stuff sitting on top of that and then threw my little trailer on top in the bed (one of them small 4'x6' sized things like you now see at HarborFreight but this was bought pre-harborfreight times)... then behind that i had the 7'x16' cargo hauler loaded a little over max weight wise... still had space in the trailer but not enough to really put anything in there with what was in there... and you knew all that weight was behind and in the truck going down the road.. the mud flaps on the truck were only a couple inches off the ground and firmly on the helpers... but still pulled it like a dream... wish i had ran it across some CAT scales to see what i weighted in at the time... thought it was funny too that trip i had some lady get in front of me that would speed up and sorta fly through the passing zones and slow down in the non-passing (ticking me off because of the load...)... got into one of those spots where they have 2 solid lanes for the tractor trailers to slowly climb the hills... i jumped in the other lane at the start and just floored it passing her quickly like she was sitting still despite all that weight and going up hill lol....

Old 02-07-2019, 09:13 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Big snow now expected tomorrow. But does that guarantee it won’t happen?

I got this weather blog link this morning. I think he’s at the UW. There’s a chance of another storm on Monday and then Wednesday too. Game on!

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/...it-region.html

Old 02-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,568 Likes on 1,426 Posts
Good morning Washington!

Onug, So is the big cook still on?

Old 02-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Tim I think he would smoke even if on backup power.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:09 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Tim I think he would smoke even if on backup power.
Dude, that’s a great idea. Guess I need to get a generator...

The big meal was officially cancelled about 30 minutes ago. Everything at church has been called off for the weekend (well, besides Mass). So now I’m trying to decide if I should just freeze the briskets and deal with it later or smoke anyway and then freeze the finished product. I think the meat will be better if it’s smoked before frozen, so I’ll probably just smoke it. I stopped by my local grill dealer tonight and bought a jacket for it, so hopefully that will help hold the temp and cut back on pellet consumption.

We hit the grocery store tonight to stock up for the storm. Normally we’re ahead of the crowds, but my wife has been fighting a cold, so we had to brave the masses tonight. Every checkout line was open (10 lines) and each had at least 8 people waiting. The milk section was empty and my wife said the produce section looked ransacked. Was funny to look at people’s carts and see what they felt was important. Bachelors had frozen pizza, parents with a baby had juice and baby food. Lots of random stuff, but everyone had booze/beer/wine. We were the only ones with a full cart however; guess no one else cares about the next few storms. Guess that’s another reason to smoke the brisket...we’ll have food for a month!

Old 02-07-2019, 11:32 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Sounds like a good plan Onug!

Old 02-07-2019, 11:49 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
whats power got to do with smoking?? thought they all used like wood/charcoal or propane...

Old 02-08-2019, 03:21 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by onug

Dude, that’s a great idea. Guess I need to get a generator...

The big meal was officially cancelled about 30 minutes ago. Everything at church has been called off for the weekend (well, besides Mass). So now I’m trying to decide if I should just freeze the briskets and deal with it later or smoke anyway and then freeze the finished product. I think the meat will be better if it’s smoked before frozen, so I’ll probably just smoke it. I stopped by my local grill dealer tonight and bought a jacket for it, so hopefully that will help hold the temp and cut back on pellet consumption.

We hit the grocery store tonight to stock up for the storm. Normally we’re ahead of the crowds, but my wife has been fighting a cold, so we had to brave the masses tonight. Every checkout line was open (10 lines) and each had at least 8 people waiting. The milk section was empty and my wife said the produce section looked ransacked. Was funny to look at people’s carts and see what they felt was important. Bachelors had frozen pizza, parents with a baby had juice and baby food. Lots of random stuff, but everyone had booze/beer/wine. We were the only ones with a full cart however; guess no one else cares about the next few storms. Guess that’s another reason to smoke the brisket...we’ll have food for a month!
Heck if the power goes out and stays out long we will just have to come over for some cold sandwiches. A generator might not be a bad idea.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:29 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
He uses a pellet grill, it needs 120 volts AC to run the anger.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:36 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Make this a twofer.
I will admit I went tonight and picked up a few things I needed not even thinking about the storm. They were out of bananas at Fred Meyer I forgot to look when I was at Safeway. Picking up milk.
I had intended to only go to Safeway. But could not find a can of Barkeep's Friend. Anyway I picked up some macaroni salad, potato salad, some sliced meat and cheese and the milk. At Freddy's I
picked up some apples, the last 2 potatoes, kiwis, pickles and the cleanser along with 2 gallons of white vinegar. May as well do some heavy mineral deposit removal from the tub and shower glass.

Likely I will just fill the tub up with water and dump the vinegar in and let it work on the calcium deposits. Too bad the glass doors will have to be scrubbed. Sort of hard to fit them in the tub to soak.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:38 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Tim Young
He uses a pellet grill, it needs 120 volts AC to run the anger.
He could train some squirrels to run a treadmill for power. Just hang a peanut on a stick.

Quick Reply: 2019 Annual B.S. Thread!