separated standpipe - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

separated standpipe

Old 12-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Mich6.0
Senior User
Mich6.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
separated standpipe

Doing dummy plugs a nd standpipes and the driver side separated when pulled out. Any easy solution to this problem tried a magnet no good.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:18 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Post Fiend
Rusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputation
There is a Tool with rubber on the center part that expands when you tighten it up. First time that happened to me I fiddled around for an hour trying to make something similar out of stuff laying around the garage. In the end, I just pulled the oil rail off the head. That gives you access to the top of the tube and you can pull it out with a pair of needle nose ViceGrips.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:04 PM
Mich6.0
Senior User
any seals or gaskets to replace

Old 12-30-2018, 06:00 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mich6.0 View Post
any seals or gaskets to replace
Pulling the oil rail there are no gaskets. Upon reassembling blow out the small holes that the screws go into. Also torque in the proper sequence and torque spec.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:01 PM
Mich6.0
Senior User
These stand pipes don't look like the ones I've seen on this page ,look like they are 2 separate sections . The bottom section has three grooves at the top just below the O-ring , they don't slide into each other like the new ones . well almost got the drivers side done. Torque wrench needs new batteries. Also old standpipes and dummy plugs were 1/2 square and not 10mm hex.

Last edited by Mich6.0; 12-30-2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 12-30-2018, 06:10 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
A pic would be helpful if you're able to post. But heres the differences.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:39 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Here is my afordable DIY lower stand pipe puller parts. The two aluminum parts are just some aluminum spacers.
You can make them out of anything that works. I just happened to have some non-flange rivnuts on hand. Pipe would work also.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:45 PM
namnguye
Senior User
namnguye has a good reputation on FTE.namnguye has a good reputation on FTE.
Sean, would you mind share how that tool would work? If I recall correctly, it's pretty slipper and smooth inside.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:03 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
You stick it down into the tube and tighten the thumb screw and pull. The 1.5" section of rubber hose expands outwards and will grab the
inside of the tube and you just pull. If I did my math correctly that hose will give you almost 2 sq/in of contact area and add to that the force
and you have a bit of gripping power to pull it out. I have never had one I could not remove with that tool. The new truck was a bit stuck
and the tool worked nicely. The reason I picked aluminum as the spacer is it won't scratch the steel of the stand pipe. You want a rubber
hose that is very snug on the 1/4 #20 cap screw so it does not slide around. I used some heavy wall gas fuel line. Should be 3/8" I think.
When you go shopping look for some that are not the shiny slick rubber.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:39 PM
namnguye
Senior User
Thanks Sean. I wasn't thinking about that. Very clever.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:52 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Lost less money than the one from Rotunda Tools or OTC Tools.
$15.00 Vs over $200.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Mich6.0
Senior User
Thanks guys got it our removed the oil rail, still had to get a pry bar to pop it out and now doing the passenger side what a treat, really would like to get my hands on the engineer who designed the compartment. That box that sits right beside the valve cover could have been an inch farther away, it would make the job easier. Got the valve cover off and a new surprise, need to get a torx-allen wrench to remove two bolts out to remove the bottom section of the stand pipe ,all stand pipes and dummy plugs had 1/2 square hole to remove.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:39 AM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
You can use this ratcheting 1/4 drive wrench and a torx bit in a pinch. Just DO NOT drop the bit. They are sold at most auto parts stores including Advance for about 7 bux. Or a standard 1/4" box wrench and the bit would work but takes longer of course.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:12 PM
namnguye
Senior User
Originally Posted by 87crewdually View Post
You can use this ratcheting 1/4 drive wrench and a torx bit in a pinch. Just DO NOT drop the bit. They are sold at most auto parts stores including Advance for about 7 bux. Or a standard 1/4" box wrench and the bit would work but takes longer of course.
I use 1/4" ratchet wrench and torx bit and some plastic shim so it doesn't fall down, but I had an odd problem. The 1/4" ratchet can "break" the torque. But after awhile, it just keeps turning the bolt back and forth, since the bolt is loose enough to over come the ratchet's spring.

However, my finger just can't turn the smooth surface round head of the bolt. It's a between thing.

I think I have the hand squeeze one to turn (like a pliers) , but at that point, my head wasn't working, and I forgot that tool.
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-11-2019, 08:15 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
Namnguye, that's one of those tools you hardly ever use but that one time it can save you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.