Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Comments on "ICEing" ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 10:37 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 223 Likes on 185 Posts
Comments on "ICEing" ?

This may be inappropriate; either the wrong forum, or just wrong altogether, so I apologize in advance and bow to forum moderators with how they may want to deal with this. I saw this recently, and wonder if this is common where you all live, or is this something that is confined to the Carolinas (which appears to be where this was happening)? I personally think that the perpetrators are messed up, and they are more-or-less attacking the messenger.

https://www.businessinsider.com/truc...otests-2018-12

Wondering about comments from the rest of you?

Old 12-29-2018, 10:45 AM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
That sucks!
Sounds like when I need Diesel fuel, and a Prius is at the only Diesel pump in the lot.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:40 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
About three miles away in San Juan Capistrano, there's a Tesla supercharger station. The line gets so long and fistfights have happened so now there's security.

If Tesla spent millions on the stations, I'm sure they can also hire security to get rid of people with trucks. It happens to be next to my favorite Mexican restaurant so I get all eyes on me when I dare enter the parking lot and drive past the nervous Tesla owners just because I have a big 4x4 truck.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:44 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
This may be inappropriate; either the wrong forum, or just wrong altogether, so I apologize in advance and bow to forum moderators with how they may want to deal with this. I saw this recently, and wonder if this is common where you all live, or is this something that is confined to the Carolinas (which appears to be where this was happening)? I personally think that the perpetrators are messed up, and they are more-or-less attacking the messenger.

https://www.businessinsider.com/truc...otests-2018-12

Wondering about comments from the rest of you?
Typical rednecks from the south doing stupid stuff.
You can`t fix stupid.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:49 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Wiggums
About three miles away in San Juan Capistrano, there's a Tesla supercharger station. The line gets so long and fistfights have happened so now there's security. If Tesla spent millions on the stations, I'm sure they can also hire security to get rid of people with trucks.
I think the article mentioned that Tesla does not own the property, that security is the responsibility of the property owner. As it is, I think Tesla has 10X the number of charging stations versus other charging stations. I don't believe hiring security for every charging station would be economically viable.

It happens to be next to my favorite Mexican restaurant so I get all eyes on me when I dare enter the parking lot and drive past the nervous Tesla owners just because I have a big 4x4 truck.
Of course, the reverse curse would be Tesla owners (or Leaf or Bolt owners, etc.) parking their cars in front of gas pumps at gas stations.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:58 PM
JKBrad
Received 821 Likes on 604 Posts
I don’t even get why this bothers them. Each Tesla/Fisker/EV/hybrid etc saves more fuel for them.

In Iceland recently I saw a bumper sticker on the back of a pickup, it had an outline of a Prius on it and said “You save so I can use”. They do like their pickups up there.

How much does it cost to use one of those fueling stations?

Old 12-29-2018, 01:28 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
I think the article mentioned that Tesla does not own the property, that security is the responsibility of the property owner. As it is, I think Tesla has 10X the number of charging stations versus other charging stations. I don't believe hiring security for every charging station would be economically viable.
Seven bays, $11 to bring it to a full charge in 30 minutes, so that's roughly $77 for every 30 minutes. Security is about $15 an hour? Then again, Tesla is a money-losing operation for now.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:40 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Seven bays, $11 to bring it to a full charge in 30 minutes, so that's roughly $77 for every 30 minutes. Security is about $15 an hour? Then again, Tesla is a money-losing operation for now.
I think that Model S and X get free charging. At least for quite a while. Some model 3 owners also get that deal (but not all, or even most). Tesla was in the black for the 3rd quarter of 2018 to the tune of close to $1 billion dollars. Analysis that I've read seems to believe their money-losing ways have turned around.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:12 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
I think that Model S and X get free charging. At least for quite a while. Some model 3 owners also get that deal (but not all, or even most). Tesla was in the black for the 3rd quarter of 2018 to the tune of close to $1 billion dollars. Analysis that I've read seems to believe their money-losing ways have turned around.
Electricity still costs money. Tesla has to pay $11 to get one S model fully charged. Then Tesla probably pays for the use of the parking lot facilities. It's highly likely Tesla doesn't have to pay because the shops in that plaza eagerly welcome Tesla owners. Before, stores were going out of business left and right because it's such an old strip mall.

Tesla faces a rocky road ahead when government incentives expire. I get 850 miles out of a single tank in my truck which takes me 8 minutes to fill. Money is not that much of an object to me, time and convenience are. 30 minutes to get 250 miles or 8 minutes to get 850 miles, and I paid half the price. I don't drive much so I am not an ideal Tesla customer.

I wish Tesla the best though. For pick-up truck owners to do that to Tesla drivers, that's just not right though. I still think Prius drivers are worse than Tesla drivers, they hog the left lane going a little below the speed limit.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:57 PM
A.L. in BC
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here in rural Canada, in the trees... I was discussing this ICE-ing article with a local low-level politician friend, who also drives a full-sized pickup, and while the actions outlined in the article are "yo - bro - dude" inspired, I guess from the losers of a hot-dog measuring contest, my friend and I can understand some of the sentiment involved. Firstly, buyers in Canada of plug-in vehicles, hybrid or all-electric, receive taxpayer-funded government incentives or rebates for their purchase - $14,000 in the case of a Tesla in Ontario, and various rebates in other areas of the country. Secondly, even our local district council has approved the installation of free charging stations at our local facilities, again at public expense for the use of visitors and adopters of e-vehicles, while the cost of our own household electricity goes up.
I have no practical use for a vehicle that can't haul firewood, tow a trailer, or move lumber, so no rebate or free fuel for me, just higher taxes to support someone else's science-fiction hobby. There are currently probably only 2 or 3 plug-in vehicles in our area, which is 200 miles into the bush from anywhere where such a vehicle might be practical.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:05 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Electricity still costs money. Tesla has to pay $11 to get one S model fully charged. Then Tesla probably pays for the use of the parking lot facilities. It's highly likely Tesla doesn't have to pay because the shops in that plaza eagerly welcome Tesla owners. Before, stores were going out of business left and right because it's such an old strip mall.

Tesla faces a rocky road ahead when government incentives expire. I get 850 miles out of a single tank in my truck which takes me 8 minutes to fill. Money is not that much of an object to me, time and convenience are. 30 minutes to get 250 miles or 8 minutes to get 850 miles, and I paid half the price. I don't drive much so I am not an ideal Tesla customer.

I wish Tesla the best though. For pick-up truck owners to do that to Tesla drivers, that's just not right though. I still think Prius drivers are worse than Tesla drivers, they hog the left lane going a little below the speed limit.
Well, the government subsidies for Tesla have expired as of this quarter. Time will tell.

In the meantime there are some startling statistics about Tesla, and particularly the model 3. Of particular note was that in November of 2018, Tesla sold more vehicles than Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Audi, Acura, Infiniti, and Jaguar. So I guess they're doing something right.

I have a buddy that drives maybe 75-100 miles per week. It's almost perfect for his Leaf. He never sees a gas station or an oil change. He plugs it in at night, at home. He got it on a lease for $80/month. That is probably less than what most people spend on their cell phone bill.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:55 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
There will always be a-holes and if it comes down to it all jurisdictions can have them removed for loitering or trespassing. I'm glad to not have my diesel anymore because of all of the jackasses that grew up with their Honda and loud exhausts 'upgraded' to diesels and rolling coal just to make another segment of auto owners look like tools. But I sure do miss the capabilities of having the 3/4 chassis.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:21 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Well, the government subsidies for Tesla have expired as of this quarter. Time will tell.

In the meantime there are some startling statistics about Tesla, and particularly the model 3. Of particular note was that in November of 2018, Tesla sold more vehicles than Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Audi, Acura, Infiniti, and Jaguar. So I guess they're doing something right.

I have a buddy that drives maybe 75-100 miles per week. It's almost perfect for his Leaf. He never sees a gas station or an oil change. He plugs it in at night, at home. He got it on a lease for $80/month. That is probably less than what most people spend on their cell phone bill.
Tesla's got a habit of fudging the numbers and concealing pertinent information. Grain of salt, but time will tell. Sometimes they categorize leases as sales while others don't do it that way.

I do about 300 miles a month but it's usually two 150-mile trips so an electric car's out for me.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:48 PM
IndyDog
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Clowns. To each their own, if someone wants to drive a Pirus that's fine with me, electric car...fine with me too. Who cares.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:07 AM
mikesnewf150
Mountain Pass
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
To each their own, I prefer my F-150 and have no desire to own a Tesla. My only gripe, and this is my local area, is that it seems like all the Tesla, and other electric vehicle charging stations, they take up all the parking in front of places, and sometimes even get better parking than the handicapped spots! But again, that's just my area...

Quick Reply: Comments on "ICEing" ?