Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melted spark plug

Old 12-24-2018, 04:41 PM
LaughingSavage
New User
LaughingSavage is starting off with a positive reputation.
Melted spark plug

Well this is a very unusual thing! Did a top speed pull yesterday with my F-250 and when it was done it had a bad misfire. This was what I found.

Just changed them about 10k miles ago, NGK Laser Iridium, Probably my fault for running an 87 performance tune and much hotter coils on stock temp spark plugs but I figured some of you would like to see a little destruction

Old 12-24-2018, 08:04 PM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
What you have there is a cheap aftermarket plug repair kit, probably a Dorman or HeliCoil, that was used to repair a blown plug. Blown again, not surprisingly.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:12 PM
LaughingSavage
New User
Im well aware , I was the one who did the repair when it blew but it didn't blow this time, Just melted inside the cylinder due to spark and heat

None of the plugs should blow, The heads have already been cleaned up. The Heli-coils shouldn't come out except in this case where it was practically welded to the spark plug, Ended up damaging the threads when I wrenched it out though so i had to re tap them

Old 12-25-2018, 07:48 AM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
I like carnage pics as much as the next guy, so thanks

i pity you though ; for the downtime and repair costs.

someone on FTE had a dramatically melted spark plug recently. I wish I remembered some details.

Something crazy happened in that combustion chamber.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:44 AM
tiffy2000
New User
tiffy2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check codes to see if it was running lean

Old 12-25-2018, 11:39 AM
LaughingSavage
New User
I did and no codes, All the other cylinders were running fairly lean too. I plan to call 5star and have them add a tad more fuel to the tune. I think the aftermarket coils are actually burning nice and hot. I also need to find a colder plug for this truck which would help greatly

Old 12-25-2018, 09:59 PM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by LaughingSavage View Post
I did and no codes, All the other cylinders were running fairly lean too. I plan to call 5star and have them add a tad more fuel to the tune. I think the aftermarket coils are actually burning nice and hot. I also need to find a colder plug for this truck which would help greatly
Timesert carries a helicoil repair insert you might want to check out.
If I've been reading the posts correctly over on the Excursion forum the general consensus is to not use helicoils to repair Triton heads and stick with Motorcraft plugs.
I had #3 blow on our Excur and the Timesert repair has 20k on it - no issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.