Sponsored by:

Custom Fuel tank needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 07:08 PM
Berndude
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Custom Fuel tank needed

I have an excursion conversion based on a 2016 F2 50 platinum the thing has like a 29 gallon tank or something which is horrible I barely get 300 miles on a tank oF diesel. I’m used to my 2002 7.3 which had a 44 gallon tank and I could drive forever on! I’ve been trying to find a place that can do a custom fuel tank for it in California but so far have been unsuccessful
Anybody who may have some experience with this or can point me in the right direction any info would be helpful

Old 12-15-2018, 07:32 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 329 Likes on 250 Posts
Why can’t you adapt a stock excursion tank ?

pmf makes a 36 gallon tank but other then that I would contact somebody like ATL

1999-2016 Ford F-250/350 Rear Fuel Cell

https://atlfuelcells.com/

Old 12-15-2018, 08:29 PM
Berndude
Senior User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Why can’t you adapt a stock excursion tank ?

pmf makes a 36 gallon tank but other then that I would contact somebody like ATL

1999-2016 Ford F-250/350 Rear Fuel Cell

https://atlfuelcells.com/
I was hoping to myself I’ve taken it to two places you have told me it does not fit and can’t be adopted

Old 12-15-2018, 08:47 PM
WE3ZS
Received 850 Likes on 588 Posts
I thought that the Super Duty to EX conversions typically used the EX rear frame which would also include the fuel tank. Since the pickup rear frame is a different shape than the EX frame I'm not sure how they used the pickup frame under the EX body and had it work out. If you still have the 29 gallon midship tank from the truck where is the fuel fill located?
There are a few pickup guys around here that added the EX tanks to their SD pickups, so it must be doable.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:31 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Berndude

I was hoping to myself I’ve taken it to two places you have told me it does not fit and can’t be adopted
what exactly is in the way to keep it from fitting ?

my guess is the f250 spare tire hardware and who ever you took it to lacks the skill to remove it and build the appropriate mounts, , regardless , if you can do with a “custom” tank then just get a Titan spare tire tank.
TITAN Spare Tire Auxiliary Fuel System for FORD, 2008-2016. (4020208)

oh and to your spare tire thread... my 37” spare fits in the stock location.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:37 PM
Berndude
Senior User
Thank you for the information on that spare fuel tank but I don’t think it will work but again I am going to look into it that would be a quick and easy fix if it did how they mounted it meaning the excursion rear section I am not sure but from what I understand they may have actually cut some of the frame from the original F2 50

Old 12-16-2018, 03:23 PM
WE3ZS
Berndude, can you post up a few pictures of this EX conversion, what you have described just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, like I said earlier, most conversions do use the entire EX rear sections, both body and frame. Where is your fuel fill for the SD midship mounted fuel tank? Pictures should help everyone here to understand what you are dealing with. A couple of under body pictures would be interesting if they did use the truck frame under the EX body, seems like it would have been easier for the shop to have spliced the frame rather than having to change the truck frame shape.
Either way, fitting a larger tank, either stock EX or aftermarket should be very doable for any decent shop that sees some custom work.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:26 PM
rdinmv
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
if its a 29 gal tank it sounds like the stock CCSB tank, if it is the stock tank you can buy larger diesel tanks up to about 52 gals or so. I don't know of any 29 gal rear mounted tanks, rear tanks came in excursions and cab/chassis trucks and vans.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:15 PM
Berndude
Senior User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Berndude, can you post up a few pictures of this EX conversion, what you have described just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, like I said earlier, most conversions do use the entire EX rear sections, both body and frame. Where is your fuel fill for the SD midship mounted fuel tank? Pictures should help everyone here to understand what you are dealing with. A couple of under body pictures would be interesting if they did use the truck frame under the EX body, seems like it would have been easier for the shop to have spliced the frame rather than having to change the truck frame shape.
Either way, fitting a larger tank, either stock EX or aftermarket should be very doable for any decent shop that sees some custom work.
I will do so this weekend get pictures that is from under where the frame area is

Old 07-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Berndude
Senior User
Okay,
It has been a few years and I had not had the time to mess with this until recently. I was only doing local trips, now I go to Arizona from California a few times a month so it is now an issue for me again. I got the dimensions of the Excursion Gas tank, they are supposed to be 34" X 40" X 19" The tank that was put in my Excision is 35" X 33" X 9". So I am very disappointed in the company that did the conversion! This thing is like driving with a girl with a small bladder that has to stop at every gas station!!! Along with the fact it never has read all the way to full since i received it

Never could get a straight answer and talked with other companies that do the conversions and they use the 44 Gallon Tank!!

SO I am on the hunt for a 44 Gallon Excursion Diesel Tank, there is one on E bay right now but I thought I would see if anyone here happened to have one for sale?

Thanks

Old 07-21-2021, 03:43 PM
Berndude
Senior User
Okay,
Now I suspect the dimensions given to me! I ran a volume calculator and the bigger dimensions show much higher than 44 gallons but the smaller dimensions show 45 so it should be the correct tank! in the truck

Does someone else have a tank they can measure?

Old 07-21-2021, 06:42 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Your dimensions indicate a square shape and the stock tank is not square, it has a slope at the back, the bottom portion is likely what you didn’t include

Old 07-22-2021, 05:46 AM
WE3ZS
I think the issue is a bad sending unit in the fuel tank, you said that it never shows full and I assume you are filling up when it reads near empty and only needing 29-ish gallons....Correct?
You do in fact have a 44 gallon Excursion tank under the rear, pictures in post #31 in this thread clearly show it and I think there are also pics that show where the SD/EX frames are spliced up front.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...onversion.html
And are you still only getting 10 MPG out of that 6.7?

Old 07-22-2021, 09:06 AM
Berndude
Senior User
Thanks for the pictures!! My son is using the truck to head to Havsu today but next week going to drop the tank so this picture is extremely useful!!!

Old 07-22-2021, 09:42 AM
Berndude
Senior User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I think the issue is a bad sending unit in the fuel tank, you said that it never shows full and I assume you are filling up when it reads near empty and only needing 29-ish gallons....Correct?
You do in fact have a 44 gallon Excursion tank under the rear, pictures in post #31 in this thread clearly show it and I think there are also pics that show where the SD/EX frames are spliced up front.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...onversion.html
And are you still only getting 10 MPG out of that 6.7?
Thank you!! I did finally get a hold of someone from RAD-Rides that was around when the truck was built, but he wasn't able to really give me any insight as he was not directly involved in the bill. The truck was built off of an F250 Super Duty Platinum,156" wheelbase. It shows the stock tank for that truck in 2016 with Diesel engine is actually 26 Gallon I do have the window sticker. that shows the wheelbase and the brochure that shows the tank sizes. When it is full the gauge reads slightly to the left of the Full Line.

They think that maybe they used the sending unit from the original truck which adds to the list of possibilities

Possible Problems
  • Tank is not a 44 Gallon tank
  • Original Sending unit for 26 Gallon tank is being used and is too short for the 44 Gallon Tank
  • Existing unit not scaled for a 44 Gallon Tank
  • Bad Sending unit altogether
  • Problem with filler Neck
I have had this truck for 4 years now as bought January 2017 New. and the inconsistency of the gas gauge, the DTE and the Trip section fuel used have alweays been an issue but have lived with it.

If anyone else can think of anything i need to add to that llist to check please let me know. I appreciate the help from people her on this forum!!

Quick Reply: Custom Fuel tank needed