Old 12-15-2018, 05:56 PM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cetane in the membrane

The Iron Stallion prefers citgo #1
thortons is preferred #2

More because of availability..

Here's an incomplete list of fuel station cetane ratings..

Post up more if you can find the info..

Xpdhao937rj

Some of these here are not local.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:31 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
we only have three of those brands here in Jersey. and our diesel here is 40-42 cetane these days.
but i remember when the lowest diesel cetane ratings we got here was 60 cetane, back then my 88 was getting 21-22 mpg. these days i an lucky to get 11 mpg on the same truck with the watered down garbage they are selling

Old 12-17-2018, 07:19 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 324 Likes on 279 Posts
That's good info to have. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
Yea, I find the #1 factor determining performance and fuel economy is good fuel.

Fortunately in Tennessee we have many brands to choose from, 7 on this list plus half a dozen others.

Having a somewhat difficult time pinning down more brand specifics, but wouldn't it be interesting to take samples of each and send them off for analysis..

Here is my unofficial guess of cetane ratings, of stations I have visited, with some help of the list, just guessing, but this is how they feel when I fuel them at thses stations..

48 Citgo
46 Shell
45.5 Thortons
45.5 Exxon
43 Marathon
42.5 Speedway
42 Bp
Loves,
Flying J
Pilot

Old 12-17-2018, 08:31 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure about there in Tennessee but here in Texas shell has 20% biofuel in it which probably explains the higher cetane rating vs exxon which is 5% iirc

Sure it has a higher cetane but the overall btu per gallon is lower and I imagine it will give a mileage difference over a full tank. It's like the e85 vs gasoline difference but not as much of a difference.

They claim a b20 blend has 99% of the same energy as diesel but everything always looks better on paper. It does add extra lubricity that the extra low sulfur part removes so it's probably better to run, and it can absorb some water and help run it through.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:21 PM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
Perhaps they are adding bio, probably some brands do.

Have you seen any stickers denoting percentage at the pump? I haven't, but we may simply have no regulation requiring the station to post it.

My neighbor was a truck driver and hauled fuel exclusively for many years, he was telling me how they do it. I thought it was interesting, though he retired long before bio was introduced, and really wasn't a petrol engineer, so didn't know specifics of each blend. But here's how it's done.

It all comes from the same pipe, regular grade gasoline, diesel, aviation fuel, premium, kerosene, mid grade, heating oil..

They pump one refined fuel down the tube, then a shot of air (compressed by hydraulics of fluids) then the next goes down right behind it, one after another continuously.

As delivered to the distributor, these are base level fuel grades, just minimal octane or cetane as required.

Then each brand adds their own proprietary blend of chemestry, things that can be done to diesel, cetane enhancer, anti fungal, anti bacterial, anti gel, and lubricity, bio fuel, more?

But each brand can add up to a couple hundred gallons to 10,000x gallons of fuel and the driver delivers it to specific stations.

Some brands (think walmart) maybe add nothing.. idk.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:40 PM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
Also some (broke a**) stations - off brand 'fast sack' /grab'n go' spots, get small quantities fronted to them on credit.

They get xxx number of gallons, and measure out what they have used off a big long stick.

Well, dude actually cought one guy with a hose pipe filling up his underground tank with water, so no bill this month.

Needless to say, now he has to prepay for his fuel deliveries.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:37 AM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most pumps here have a sticker for biofuel percent, along with one for the 10% ethanol in the gas