Mode 6 Test Numbers? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Mode 6 Test Numbers?

Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Mode 6 Test Numbers?

2005 E350 with reman'd Ford 5.4 using an Actron CP9580 scanner under the Vehicle Diagnostics program looking for misfire info I get test numbers of $80, $81, $82,$83 & $84. Using a WSM CD-ROM I can't find those test numbers, only Test ID # 50, 53, 54, 55 & 56 (Misfire Monitor 51-5F in the Diagnostic Monitoring Test Results Table) There are no DTC's other than P1000--I don't think that relates to a misfire issue?

Am I explaining this correctly or completely not understanding what I'm reading?

I have what I'm sure is a cylinder misfire quite possibly due a failing COP. I'd much rather sort this out with the help of the scanner but with no DTC's or the MIL on its tough. I'm not against disconnecting each COP with engine running but have heard that's potentially harmful to the PCM.

BTW this same scanner works perfectly with my '03 E250 with 5.4 engine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 AM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
An 05 is going to be a CAN-bus system. CAN uses the test numbers of $80, $81, $82,$83 & $84 for misfire data. See the system OBDII manual for reference.
There are no DTC's other than P1000
A P1000 is not a fault code, it's a status code that simply means the self-test monitors have not completed. More likely than not, the van has an OBD1 calibration (check label underside of hood or read system parameters with scan tool). OBD1 calibrations are not "user-friendly" about posting many faults as they have much looser pass/fail criteria.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:42 PM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by projectSHO89 View Post
An 05 is going to be a CAN-bus system. CAN uses the test numbers of $80, $81, $82,$83 & $84 for misfire data. See the system OBDII manual for reference.
Well as it turns out I did see the CAN--bus test numbers on the scanner, its Test $84 where I see values but without consulting the WSM I don't know what they mean. Will certainly dig into this from that angle now.

Originally Posted by projectSHO89 View Post
A P1000 is not a fault code, it's a status code that simply means the self-test monitors have not completed. More likely than not, the van has an OBD1 calibration (check label underside of hood or read system parameters with scan tool). OBD1 calibrations are not "user-friendly" about posting many faults as they have much looser pass/fail criteria.
I was thinking OBD-I as well but this is my tag showing its OBD-II certified:

Thanks projectSHO89---VERY helpful as always!

Old 12-11-2018, 08:01 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Okay so digging through my WSM CD-ROM for my year(s) I can't find anything relating to the CAN-bus tests----what am I missing?

My E350 was built 01/2005, my original Ford CD-ROM is for model years 2005 & 2006, the disc expired November 2005, Version 10.

The Actron scanner does find the CAN-bus test numbers for misfires but so far I can't find a way to interpret what it's showing me.

TIA

Old 12-11-2018, 08:06 AM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
As I said before, you have to refer to the OBDII manual, not the WSM. Download from www.motorcraftservice.com under free resources.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:42 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Ahh okay---I thought it was part of the WSM------downloading your link now.

Thanks again!

Old 12-12-2018, 12:24 PM
F150Torqued
Elder User
F150Torqued has a very good reputation on FTE.F150Torqued has a very good reputation on FTE.F150Torqued has a very good reputation on FTE.
There is an absolute "LONG TON" of good information in that OBDII Theory Manual. Being able to decipher (and apply proper formula or factors to data) to the Mode $06 tests is invaluable. Check out page 11 and watch for the multiplier(s) specified at the bottom of the page for certain tests.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:57 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F150Torqued View Post
There is an absolute "LONG TON" of good information in that OBDII Theory Manual. Being able to decipher (and apply proper formula or factors to data) to the Mode $06 tests is invaluable. Check out page 11 and watch for the multiplier(s) specified at the bottom of the page for certain tests.
Thanks yet again F150Torqued---great advice once again!

Absolutely no doubt and about that manual--WOW! It's amazing what info is available for the asking---Ford seems to be fairly pro-active in that way.

I have been reading through it as time premits, paying attention to page 11 as recommended---very interesting stuff.

As I mentioned in my other "rough idle" thread I have a trusted tech that'll be going over this van for me----he's one of the few techs-for-hire I'd trust.

I'll post back here once we have this sorted out.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.