Temperature reading - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Temperature reading

Old 12-09-2018, 08:07 PM
Harris teeter
New User
Harris teeter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Temperature reading

Good evening. On my 83 f150 5.8L truck the temperature gauge reads normal at 30 to 40 mph. Once I reach 50 to 60 mph the gauge soars to Hot. The radiator was replaced a week ago by a repair shop. The sensor is 5 years old as well as the sender. Any suggestions?

Old 12-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Need a little more info, why was the radiator replaced? Was it overheating before that? Is engine actually boiling over (maybe) simply innaccurate gauge indication?

Welcome to FTE btw.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:45 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Yes, is the engine actually getting too hot? You should have other indicators such as boiling over and maybe some pinging under load. If it really is getting hot, I would check to make sure you have a metal spring inside the lower radiator hose.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:16 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
HT, welcome to FTE
As soon as I saw the name I had to look where you are from, love it LOL

Yes check the lower hose for that spring.
New hoses do not come with that spring and because it is on the suction side of the water pump it gets sucked closed stopping the flow of cooling water.
I will not tell you what I had to do to get a spring for my projects new lower hose....unless you need me to to get a spring.

The others are also right on what they said on needing to know if it is boiling or pinging or anything else.
Dave ----

Old 12-10-2018, 09:56 AM
midsouth
Senior User
midsouth is starting off with a positive reputation.
Temperature reading

Thank you everyone. The old radiator was rusting through due to being original to the truck. There is a spring in the bottom hose. I can only guess the sensor or sender are bad. There isn't any boiling over or pinging

Old 12-10-2018, 10:04 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Oh man I liked the other screen name

So I guess this started after the radiator swap?
Was the Tstat changed at the same time and if so did you drill a 1/8" hole to let air pass thru it a little easier?
Are you sure you got all the air out of the system?
Sometimes you need to get the front of the car/truck up high to get the air out.
Dave ----

Old 12-10-2018, 10:35 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Just for grins check too that distributor is advancing ignition timing correctly at cruise RPM and the vacuum advance is also pulling in the extra on top of that. Retarded ignition timing will run very hot.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:51 PM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
So I guess this started after the radiator swap?
+1 on that! Can you please confirm this is a new problem that started only the radiator replacement? Otherwise we will gladly GuessDeplete™ your bank account away.

If this is indeed a new problem, please detail any other work done at the same time, such as new drive belts, thermostat, etc.

So far, we still don't know if this is an indication issue or an actual overheat problem. When the gauge climbs above normal, does it do so rapidly (within 5 seconds or so) or is it a gradual increase?

Also, you had mentioned a temperature sensor AND sender, both being about 5 years old. The sender, is that what drives the temperature gauge? The sensor? Is that an electrical device feeding something other than the gauge? Or is the sensor a mechanical switch controlling a vacuum circuit? Not busting your butt, just trying to get an understanding of the terminology and possible causes.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:38 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
He may be digging out from the snow.
We don't get much snow down here, just an 1" closes everything till it melts as we don't have equipment to remove / sand/salt the roads with.
Well I think half the state got slammed with 6"+ of the stuff and the rest got slammed with a lot of rain, read flooding.
Give him time to answer back.
Dave ----

Old 12-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Odisvan
Senior User
Odisvan is starting off with a positive reputation.
if yours is anything like mine, you will have pounds of rust coming out forever as you try to clean out the block and so forth. All those rust chunks will stop up a radiator and make it run hot like an old radiator.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:45 PM
midsouth
Senior User
midsouth is starting off with a positive reputation.
Temperature reading

I'm planning on replacing both the sensor and sender. I found the sender...can anyone give the location of the sensor. A diagram would be great. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:01 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
The only configurations that had both a gauge sender AND a separate sensor were the computer-controlled engines; unless your truck was built for sale in California, a 1983 engine isn't computer controlled.

Check your wiring in the engine compartment, make sure that red/white wire isn't grounding anyplace.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.