What is this - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What is this

Old 12-09-2018, 07:05 AM
Cmg66999
New User
Cmg66999 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What is this

Last week my truck started to like its out of fuel. Then it dies won't restart. Got it towed home. Changed fuel filters found junk!!

Old 12-09-2018, 07:24 AM
Cmg66999
New User
What is this

I started to remove fuel tank this what I found. The stuff in the hoses also. Wha

ts going on.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:36 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Looks like diesel fuel algae.

http://www.fueltec.org/wp-content/up...lJobAlgae3.jpg

Had the truck been sitting for a long time? Where are you getting fuel from?

Old 12-09-2018, 10:15 AM
Cmg66999
New User
I use the truck everyday. I buy fuel at speedway in Orange Park,Fl. I also use Archoil fuel and oil treatment. I've not use the fuel treatment in about 1 to 2 months. TooManyToys, thanks for the link I'm going to go to now. I watch your Youtube videos.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:17 AM
Cmg66999
New User
If it is algae its grainy!!

Old 12-09-2018, 11:27 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Google the term, generically it’s called algae, but can be a mix including its poop. PITA!

And thanks for viewing, I’m way behind on making them.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Cmg66999
New User
Thanks again, Whats the best to clean out fuel lines, tank and HFCM. Cause I'm sure its everywhere. I didn't see any in fuel bowl.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:36 PM
seijirou
Posting Guru
seijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to behold
For tank you'll just need to drain it, then reach in with wd-40 on some scotch brite and go to work, finish it out with a rag until it's clean.

For the lines between the tank and the HFCM I would try a long pipe brush like this.
Amazon Amazon

For the next several tanks run algicide and make sure you're filling up all the way. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Cmg66999
New User
Seijirou,thanks for the info

Old 12-09-2018, 02:45 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
IF you take a shortcut and go straight to the algaecide make sure you carry atleast 3 sets of filters and the tools to change them. While you're at it carry a catch pan, gloves, and something to lay on. I'd also monitor fuel pressure but that's easy for me to say since I already have a gauge for that.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Cmg66999
New User
Well I pulled the tank. There wasn't much at all of the algae in the tank. Just the pickup screen was in little pieces. So thats why I was running out of fuel at 1/4 of tank.
No I don't have a fuel gauge mounted in the truck. Are there any stickys for that or posts?
Where can I get algaecide at? I was going to order more Archoil or Killem biocide.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:53 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
YOU may not have had the issue, but either the station, transporter, or supplier did/does based on your tank comment. As Pete mentioned, killing off the issue doesn’t disolve the issue. So the cleaning will be either manual all at onece or over time with filters removing the mess. Without fuel pressure monitoring you’d never know when your close to where you were before. And I would not bet the farm that you will clean everything 100%.

Marinas usually always have algaecide, it’s a boat thing. If you have the receipts for recent fuel purchases (I always get receipts) and other patrons had issues from the location, your expenses should be covered by their insurance.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:53 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
If you have not reassembles the tank be sure to use some spray cleaner on the fuel
level sender and give it a good spray bath to wash out any chances. As for places
to find algaecide Tractor Supply should have it or if not a farm supply.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:28 AM
Cmg66999
New User
I bought a new fuel sender, because I was concerned about the algae I saw. So I might keep old one for spare parts. I'm still going to remove the HFCM and clean it out also. But first make sure it works. Thanks for all your help. I will be looking into getting a fuel gauge installed. Any ideas on that?

Old 12-10-2018, 08:12 AM
seijirou
Posting Guru
seijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to behold
I assume you're talking fuel pressure gauge.

I run it from the test port on the fuel bowl, take the plug out and insert this adapter.
Amazon Amazon

This is the gauge I run.
Amazon Amazon

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.