Door Latching Issues - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Door Latching Issues

Old 12-09-2018, 12:22 AM
2017F250Diesel
Freshman User
2017F250Diesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Door Latching Issues

I have a 2017 F250 CC and tonight the drivers door would not latch. Had to forcibly slam it shut several times before it would latch. After that it seemed fine. I am hoping it was the fact I washed it the other day when it was warm out and may have gotten some water in the latch mechanism and froze now that the temps have dropped. I am just checking to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. Didn't want to alarm the dealership if it was just ice.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:28 AM
ArcticCircle
Junior User
ArcticCircle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Use the search. Frozen doors. Major problem, happening all over. There is a fix.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:58 AM
eryoung
Senior User
eryoung is starting off with a positive reputation.
There's a field service action out there for this. I didn't have a problem last year with mine, I've read it's a big job.
  • FSA Title: DOOR LATCH FREEZING CONCERNS
  • Field Service Action Number: 18N03

Old 12-09-2018, 10:31 AM
NotJustaTruck
Freshman User
NotJustaTruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck is at dealership being "fixed" a
second time

18N03 failed to fix it . They are now replacing door latch regulator assembly
As it's a newly designed one piece setup
Will find out this week if it works

Old 12-09-2018, 10:56 AM
DRKBC
Senior User
DRKBC is starting off with a positive reputation.
I started a thread on this last year. My truick was in the shop a number of times for the problem last winter and as soon as it cooled off this year, it happened again. My VIN fell within the FSA 18N03 so this time they kept the car for a couple of days and did the full job. I just got it back a couple of days ago and as its dropping to freezing at night here now, I took it through the car wash yesterday to test things out. I am happy to report this morning no issues. Prior to this fix they where just re-lubing parts and trying to seal the area around the looks, this was a bandaid solution at best. Have them check to see if your VIN falls with the recall I am willing to bet it does, they have also been extending the warranty to cover this issue in case it rears up again in the future ask them about this as well.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Xwild
Elder User
Xwild is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just got the notice in the mail for this a week or so ago. I like that Ford has made it covered until like 2028 or somesuch.. so if you're not having the problem now, you don't need to worry about it, but if you ever do in the next 10 years or so, you can take it and have it fixed for free.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:28 PM
xxxsherpa
Posting Guru
xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Xwild View Post
Just got the notice in the mail for this a week or so ago. I like that Ford has made it covered until like 2028 or somesuch.. so if you're not having the problem now, you don't need to worry about it, but if you ever do in the next 10 years or so, you can take it and have it fixed for free.
I received the same notice. The truck goes in for oil and tire rotation this week and am not sure I will bring it up about the latch problem or not. I haven't had the problem yet...maybe if I have it done now it might save a few cuss words down the line.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Zchludil
Junior User
Zchludil is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by NotJustaTruck View Post
My truck is at dealership being "fixed" a
second time

18N03 failed to fix it . They are now replacing door latch regulator assembly
As it's a newly designed one piece setup
Will find out this week if it works
Would love to hear what you figure out. My truck literally just had 18N03 done on Friday, go out Saturday morning and door latches are frozen again. Always seems to be the drivers side too. Went out this morning (Sunday) was even colder last night and drivers side doors would not open from inside or outside. Kind of hard to climb over a center console to be able to drive the thing. Getting very tired of this issue.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:14 PM
NotJustaTruck
Freshman User
I'll give an update on new parts are on tomorrow. Hopefully weather cooperates and I'll get to test it Tuesday morning

Old 12-09-2018, 03:16 PM
NotJustaTruck
Freshman User
Same here- must be related to frequent use as my passenger door is not affected "yet". (ItsI hardly ever used)

Old 12-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Bellzbub
New User
Bellzbub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine has frozen twice. Each time I took a torch and heated the latch area of door. Have to be careful not to hit it directly and do a sweeping heat, too close or too much will melt the plastic in the latch. Ymmv. I have done this on many different cars over the years. An 07focus 01 Taurus and 03 ranger. Has been a problem for a long time but when it's 150 or 350 ,big sellers it's a problem.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:08 PM
DRKBC
Senior User
DRKBC is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by xxxsherpa View Post
I received the same notice. The truck goes in for oil and tire rotation this week and am not sure I will bring it up about the latch problem or not. I haven't had the problem yet...maybe if I have it done now it might save a few cuss words down the line.
Iíd do it before you have the issue. The parts arenít always the easiest to come by and the further into winter we get the more scarce they become.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:01 PM
delorenzomp
Elder User
delorenzomp is starting off with a positive reputation.
DRKBC wrote Yesterday, 10:56 AM : Prior to this fix they where just re-lubing parts and trying to seal the area around the looks, this was a bandaid solution at best. Have them check to see if your VIN falls with the recall I am willing to bet it does, they have also been extending the warranty to cover this issue in case it rears up again in the future ask them about this as well.

Zchludil wrote
Yesterday, 02:55 PM: My truck literally just had 18N03 done on Friday, go out Saturday morning and door latches are frozen again.

So, have they identified a new 'fix' that DRKBC received [ because 'just re-lubing parts and trying to seal the area around the locks' sounds like 18N03 ] yet they still did the 18N03 on Zchludil's truck? Does your 'fix' have an identifier, DRKBC ?

Old 12-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Redrockerstl55
Elder User
Redrockerstl55 has a good reputation on FTE.Redrockerstl55 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by DRKBC View Post
Have them check to see if your VIN falls with the recall I am willing to bet it does
Is there an actual recall on this latch freezing issue? I thought the Field Service Action was the only item related to this major problem. If you have a recall number please share...I'm having my truck looked at last week.

Thank you.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:20 PM
delorenzomp
Elder User
delorenzomp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is anybody participating in this or the '2018 Locks Freezing' thread 'in the know' at Ford [ I have read in many threads on other topics where posters are 'connected' ] ? Does anybody know if Ford is doing anything on the production line to address this problem? Are they at least trying to get ahead of this issue by installing parts that they think will improve the situation and using processes that they think will improve the situation? Is there an internal corrective action so that I have half a chance of receiving my truck 'with a head start' on this issue having 18N03 behind me when I take delivery ?? Thanks, any insight is appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.