2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Post your strobe/warning light setup with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 946 Likes on 583 Posts
Originally Posted by pmichael
How do you like this thing, has it worked? Looks like its configurable. I have the OEM strobe package, but that only has lights on the hood and on the rear cab light. This would be a nice addition.
I honestly haven't used it yet to any degree. I installed it, turned it on and it worked. Brought it in and plugged into computer just to see what the configurations looked like but didn't change anything.
As stated, I don't want to cut into any factory wiring or have lights installed anywhere that I have to mess around removing should I trade the truck someday. So for my fairly limited use this setup should work out just fine.
Attached are a couple screenshots of the configuration/software update menus.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:58 PM
delorenzomp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does nobody use the old motor-driven beacon (AKA 'gumball machine') atop their rigs? Surely with high-output alternators and in some cases dual batteries the high draw should not be an issue...the beauty of them, in my opinion, is that they actually warn rather than just identify, especially when plowing driveways...the rotating beacon (2 or 4 sealed beam bulbs) will throw its light in a distinct moving beam when the truck cannot be seen casting its light far and wide onto adjacent properties and objects warning oncoming traffic that a plow truck will soon be emerging. These newer warning lights are more of a glow, and not as far-reaching, more of a line-of-sight warning light...then once the truck is in view they both pretty-much even out with identifying the truck.
Does anybody use them?

Old 12-13-2018, 03:12 PM
05 superdutyal
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Poncho,
Can you drive with them on? Did you need the extension cable? Thinking of getting them.
Thanks

Old 12-13-2018, 03:19 PM
delorenzomp
Elder User
they have mounting options, check out Grote for one, they can usually be pipe mounted or you can probably fasten it to a plate on a headache rack, a stake pocket...

Old 12-13-2018, 03:21 PM
delorenzomp
Elder User
the Grote 76203 has six 1/4" mounting bolt holes...

Old 12-14-2018, 11:05 AM
moynihan1129
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone using anything from amazon? There is some great stuff out there but I can’t justify the spend for something I will use very sparingly. Just looking for a few to wire up to the upfitters otherwise I would go with the z-flash.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:43 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by moynihan1129
Anyone using anything from amazon? There is some great stuff out there but I can’t justify the spend for something I will use very sparingly. Just looking for a few to wire up to the upfitters otherwise I would go with the z-flash.
Problem with anything non-name brand is of course quality. Water intrusion, non-sealed circuitry, lenses that don't properly spread light, etc. I've seen many generic Amazon or eBay lights fail. You can pick up some name brand 3-diode warning lights from Feniex, Whelen, StrobesnMore, etc for under $50 each and these will be quality. Strobes n More has a section on their website for affordable Amber Warning starter kits, take a look at those.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 05 superdutyal
Poncho,
Can you drive with them on? Did you need the extension cable? Thinking of getting them.
Thanks
If you look at the first picture, there's a box that says In Motion. I think if you check that you can drive with them on. If you contact the folks at Ultra Bright Lightz you'll get an answer. I didn't buy an extension cable. Just plugged it into the OBD port and left it there.
​​​​​​https://www.ultrabrightlightz.com/z-...QaAiXYEALw_wcB
I actually checked the box after my original post and reinstalled the module to the OBD port. Haven't tested it yet. Here's a note from their website:
  • Will my brake lights still work?: Your brake and turn signals will override the flashing pattern. If the module is active and you hit the brakes or use your turn signal, that function will override. This cannot be disabled as it is an important safety feature.
You may want to make sure that all of your truck bulbs have been switched over to LED if they aren't already. I'm thinking this could raise heck with incandescent bulbs and really shorten their life.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:19 AM
ExtremeDuty
Senior User

Looking to put a GREEN LED Strobe on my roof. Something portable/removable, even if I have to use Velcro. Green is required on mine-site in my area and yellow requires an NV DOT permit to even have it on a truck, lit or not.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:08 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ExtremeDuty
Looking to put a GREEN LED Strobe on my roof. Something portable/removable, even if I have to use Velcro. Green is required on mine-site in my area and yellow requires an NV DOT permit to even have it on a truck, lit or not.
Does it have to be exterior? If not there are dozens of suction cup mounts for inside of the windshield. If you need it on the roof I'd check with Whelen. My last roof mount strobe was magnetic, but of course that no longer works on these aluminum bodies. If I remember correctly I contacted either Whelen or Sirennet and was told that suction cup mounts were available. I opted to sell the light on Craigslist and went with the Z Flash module mentioned earlier.
Whelen makes a nice light bar called Century with either magnetic or suction cup mounts. The trouble may be in finding green LED.
I recently purchased suction cups on Amazon that had a 1/4 inch threaded stud. That may be an option to replace magnet mounts on a light bar.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:28 AM
delorenzomp
Elder User
maybe a powder-coated steel plate on strategically placed suction cups (McMaster-Carr) to avoid roof ribs, to place a magnet-mount light

Old 12-16-2018, 09:39 AM
vtfireftr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whelen is now making a bracket that mounts to the CHMSL on our trucks. contact strobesnmore.com I believe they are selling them.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:53 AM
ExtremeDuty
Senior User

$186.00.
Thanks.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:59 PM
05 superdutyal
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Poncho450
I honestly haven't used it yet to any degree. I installed it, turned it on and it worked. Brought it in and plugged into computer just to see what the configurations looked like but didn't change anything.
As stated, I don't want to cut into any factory wiring or have lights installed anywhere that I have to mess around removing should I trade the truck someday. So for my fairly limited use this setup should work out just fine.
Attached are a couple screenshots of the configuration/software update menus.

Poncho, Just got mine today. Have not installed yet. Plugged it in computer didn't do anything. How did you get that page you posted?
Thanks

Last edited by 05 superdutyal; 12-22-2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: miss type
Old 12-22-2018, 08:23 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 05 superdutyal
Poncho, Just got mine today. Have not installed yet. Plugged it in computer didn't do anything. How did you get that page you posted?
Thanks
Not sure what you have for a computer, but there's a link for the Windows app update on this page: https://www.ultrabrightlightz.com/z-...sher-for-ford/
I can plug mine into my Mac. In fact that was one of the specific questions that I had before purchase. The ZPU app is on my Mac desktop but I honestly don't remember downloading it specifically. Seems like I just plugged the module into the computer and it came from there. You may have to go into the Printers/Devices or whatever Windows calls it to find your ZFlash device if you use that OS. I'm not really savvy in that world, I'm a Mac user.
According to page 3 of this manual, you should be able to plug it into your computer and access the software. https://www.ultrabrightlightz.com/co...k%20Manual.pdf
If you contact Ultra Bright Lightz, today I'll bet they reply sometime on Monday. At least they did for me one time when I contacted them over the weekend.
Sorry I couldn't come up with some better specifics for you.

Quick Reply: Post your strobe/warning light setup with pics!