2019 F450 trailer not connected coming on

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:10 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I don’t have this issue with my 17’ F350 and 2011 Open Range 337rls, I think it’s because the trailer has two sets of LEDs on each side and they are large round units and draw more power?

Old 03-07-2019, 02:34 PM
JD'sBigredv10
More Turbo
Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts
This is a frustrating issue. I was having the same problem. Replaced the 7 pin cord and connection box on the trailer side. Pulled the harness from the back of the truck's 7 pin connector and cleaned everything thoroughly. When it was all said and done, the solution was to replace the trailer's LED tail/brake/blinker bulbs with standards. Problem solved. It is shocking to me that a truck that is 100% LED lighting can't deal with having LED lights on a trailer.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:11 PM
Exposed
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. I was very surprised when Ford service headquarters on support said they were aware of the issue and fix was fix it yourself. I fail to see why it is an issue to start with since they are aware of the less current drain and many trailers now (like trucks) have LED's instead of conventional bulbs. Looks like a programming fix would take care of... Or maybe instead of making all the trailer stuff work without this working. For years everything on the trailer side has been protected through relays not to interfere with the truck electrical system. Why do we need some special resistance check to cut on/off. I am not electrical engineer but looks like they over build that part. Anyway, for being the leader in trucks, they get a big "F" on this to me... Just my opinion,,,,,

Old 03-07-2019, 05:12 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The LED’s on your trailer, are they factory or converted with led bulbs? I just remembered that my construction trailer also has leds but they are factory as well same as my Open Range fifth wheel, I don’t have any issue with either of them...

Old 03-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Exposed
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are referring to my trailer, yes all the lights are LED from the factory. Another interesting thing before I ordered the F-450, I had a 2017 F-250. Pretty much same setup only pulling a 14' enclosed cargo trailer with LED lights. Never had any issues with the F-250 and error trailer not connected.. It did have electric brakes where as the DRV has electric over hydraulic. I first though maybe the electric over hydraulic was the issue. But since you configure in the panel for those instead of electric brakes figured it would know. Another though I had was maybe since the LED's are seven(per housing) I think instead of some having many more LED's. My trailer has 3 of the 7 FED lights on each side... Anyway, at this point it seems like the Curt adapter is going to work for now. We are planning a trip middle of next month for a short 400 mile trip to check out the F-450 in pulling the DRV. It will be quiet different than pulling with the International Workstar.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:29 AM
K0IRL
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I connected my truck and trailer using my jumper cables. No change. Cleaned the male & female connection at the bumper. Nothing.

Crawled under there and looked. There was only 1 of the 4 wheels that had both white wires connected to the wheel!

So that's probably my issue. Still waiting for my brother to come over to connect and see what issue he may or may not have.

But I'm a little confused. Each wheel has 2 white wires connected to the wheel. I can see one breaking off. But wouldn't it have thrown a fault as soon as the first wire came off? Why is it waiting until now, with only one wheel left connected, to throw the fault?

I guess it could be that if it had at least one brake connected on each side, it had a complete circuit to at least one brake (even if the are two wheels on each side) on one side. I mean, the truck doesn't know ther trailer configuration. 2 wheels, 4 wheels, brakes on all 4 wheels, whatever. It just knows there's a trailer back there with a brake on each side. So as soon as the one side lost all connectivity, that's when it threw the fault.

And my other guess is that's why we've been gradually ratcheting up the brake gain. As each wire broke off, we had one less brake slowing down the trailer. I'll bet when I get all the wires connected, it would leave a black streak on the pavement 20 yards long if i leave the gain at 9.5. LOL.

Does that sound like I've got a handle on it?

Old 08-18-2019, 12:06 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,429 Likes on 1,022 Posts
Yes, that is going to be a big part of the issue since you have eliminated other causes. Hook up the wires, confirm with a buzz at each wheel when you pull the slider on the TBC. A buzz means the brakes at each wheel (magnet at least) is getting power.