Breaking wheel studs - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Breaking wheel studs

Old 12-05-2018, 11:31 PM
homertwo
Junior User
homertwo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Breaking wheel studs

I have a 2000 F550 dually. Last Friday I lost 6 of 8 wheel studs on the drivers side rear. I put 8 new studs in on Saturday.
Today, Wednesday, I was driving 40 miles an hour and all 8 studs sheared off and I lost both wheels. Studs are breaking off inside the hub. None of them were sticking out even a little.
Any idea what the heck is going on?
Thanks for any help.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:54 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Couple things come to mind. Are they the correct stud for the weight rating? Are you having them pressed in…they should be pressed in not pulled in with a nut. Are you using the correct lug nut for your wheels? Torquing them to specs then again in 50 miles or so?
I went through the same thing with my Jeep, shop pressed in the wrong lugs, almost lost a wheel on I70 here in Colorado.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:21 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
wrong studs. with a dually... get studs from Ford !
bad rear axle bearing
bad rear leaf spring bushings
cracked rear leaf spring, or springs.

wheel damaged from the first set of studs broke.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:17 AM
Djosbun
Senior User
Djosbun is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chuck is probably right. Something at that side of the rear suspension has failed, causing a vibration strong enough to snap the wheel studs. Check the shock, spring (and shackle), as well as the wheels (get them balanced).

Dave

Old 12-09-2018, 12:27 AM
homertwo
Junior User
Ok. So far I have been putting on studs from Advance Auto Parts. Bad idea. I bought the expensive ones thinking they were stronger.
I went to Ford and bought theirs. 40 cents more but you can tell that they are by far superior to the other ones.
My wheels were starting to egg shape in the bolt holes. New ones on the way.
I checked the hub when putting in new studs from Ford. Holes were starting to show wear. Picked up the new hub today.
I will check the shocks. New springs last April so I don't think that would cause it.
As soon as the wheels get here, I will change out the hub and put the tires on the wheels. Tires are a month old. Shop where I had the tires put on could not balance the tires so I put some of that tire balance stuff in them.
Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:47 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Did the shop that put on the tires use a torque wrench to final tighten the nuts? The typical failure of lug studs is overtightening and the stud is stretched enough that a stress crack starts to form in the thread root. With starting and stopping the shear forces cause the cracks to propagate through the stud and it fails. Once one goes, the others follow quickly. If the holes in the wheels egg out, that causes a differential in the side loading. Ideally, all of the acceleration and deceleration is supposed to be addressed by the clamping force between the wheel and hub, not the studs, but again that depends on the consistency of the bolt tighten methodology.

How studs are installed is just as important because if they are not fully seated all the way, they will move longitudinally and relax, just like not enough torque was used to install the nut. While there are specialized lug nut install clamping tools, a press is the most foolproof way to install replacements. Or a factory hub.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:23 AM
'65Ford
Posting Guru
'65Ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
Did the shop that put on the tires use a torque wrench to final tighten the nuts? The typical failure of lug studs is overtightening and the stud is stretched enough that a stress crack starts to form in the thread root. With starting and stopping the shear forces cause the cracks to propagate through the stud and it fails. Once one goes, the others follow quickly. If the holes in the wheels egg out, that causes a differential in the side loading. Ideally, all of the acceleration and deceleration is supposed to be addressed by the clamping force between the wheel and hub, not the studs, but again that depends on the consistency of the bolt tighten methodology.

How studs are installed is just as important because if they are not fully seated all the way, they will move longitudinally and relax, just like not enough torque was used to install the nut. While there are specialized lug nut install clamping tools, a press is the most foolproof way to install replacements. Or a factory hub.
X2 on this. I would thoroughly investigate these items first and then look at less likely items like suspension.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Fefanatic
Senior User
Fefanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Since it was OK until you had tires installed it's best you check the rest of the tires/wheels/studs. I doubt this is a coincidence. It was probably caused and you should check the rest of the truck. JMO...

Old 12-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by homertwo View Post
I have a 2000 F550 dually.
So do I.

Here is a photo one of my wheel studs, which illustrates exactly what TooManyToys is talking about:

s t r e t c h e d wheel stud.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:52 AM
cmaupin
Junior User
cmaupin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dang, that is scary. Good to know. hope you get it fixed soon please let us know when completed

Old 12-16-2018, 11:55 PM
homertwo
Junior User
Well i put 2 new wheels, a new Ford hub with new studs, and new nuts on Monday of last week. I have about 150 miles on the new setup. All is well so far. I keep checking the torque on the nuts before I drive it.
I sure hope this is the last time I will have to do this.

Thanks for all the replies.
Homer

Old 12-17-2018, 01:13 AM
82_F100_300Six
Posting Guru
82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.
man thats messed up. i remember working on my boat trailer tightening u-bolts and being able to see them stretching. and that was just going easy on them by hand

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.