Door handle removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 11:45 AM
paul.table
Cross-Country
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Door handle removal

Having removed the two screw from the outside door handle I am pulling the handle by 1/2 inch but it refuses to move any further. Could someone please describe the correct way to remove it please. Many thanks. I wonder if there is a picture of this assembly on here somewhere

Old 12-03-2018, 12:19 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Click on Search this Forum and type in Door handle removal.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:56 PM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
At least on my doors there was no clip or anything holding the handle on the backside. They sometimes get twisted after decades of use. Give it a twist one way or the other and it should come out. They have an offset that can get stuck. The bottom one is the stock handle.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:21 PM
bernette
Cargo Master
Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts
the square stock usely gets wore and the female part too. so sometimes alot of wiggling and pulling is needed.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:48 PM
bernette
Cargo Master
Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts
found a picture

Old 12-04-2018, 02:38 PM
paul.table
Cross-Country
OK, thank you for your replies. I will drill a hole and drift it out now I know there id no clip or fixing Great pics, thank you

Old 12-13-2018, 01:21 PM
Elder Rodder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this awhile ago, but here it is again.
If you try removing the outside door handle by removing the outside screws and then twisting the handles, it won't work, and may cause damage! If you keep the handle in position and hold it while reaching inside the door and pulling the door handle all the way, like you're opening the door, but hold it in the open position, the outside door handle can then be rotated down to a point where it will be able to be pulled out of the door. You might have to rotate it and work it a little but This should work easily without "bulling" the handle! When the outside handle comes out, release the inside handle, and you're done! Same for other door on the opposite side.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:30 PM
paul.table
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Elder Rodder
I posted this awhile ago, but here it is again.
If you try removing the outside door handle by removing the outside screws and then twisting the handles, it won't work, and may cause damage! If you keep the handle in position and hold it while reaching inside the door and pulling the door handle all the way, like you're opening the door, but hold it in the open position, the outside door handle can then be rotated down to a point where it will be able to be pulled out of the door. You might have to rotate it and work it a little but This should work easily without "bulling" the handle! When the outside handle comes out, release the inside handle, and you're done! Same for other door on the opposite side.
Yes. I tried exactly as you kindly suggested and in amazement the handle simply came out as if nothing was holding it there. What a result, thank you for your time and expertise .

Old 07-12-2020, 03:13 PM
Elder Rodder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elder rodder

You may need the chamfered spots on your door handle that will pass through the inside opening mechanism when the inside handle is pulled all the way to open and the outside door handle is rotated to down (about 45°) and will slide through and then bring the outside handle to level when you let the inside handle back to normal. Compare your handle to make sure it's like the left one. That should give you the distance the chamfered part is along the handle shaft. Other than that, the two screws on the outside handle hold the handle steady.