Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delayed Accessory Relay problem

Old 01-04-2019, 10:09 AM
danno676
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
an update to this, I am finally home from work and can take a look at it. So far I have constant power at what I believe are position 85 and 30 on the acc delay relay. I took the bolts holding the junction box in the dash and started wiggling the connections on the back, the radio would come on at intermittent times with no real rhyme or reason, and as stated above it seems the it would work when the outside temp was 60 or above (yeah, stuff shrinks).

In the end I found that without manipulating the connections I could twist the junction box, similar to breaking ice cubes out of an ice tray, and the radio would work. So I really rigged it up and placed a shim behind one of the mounting legs to "tweak" it, radio works constant for now.

Would that point to a poor connection within the box, more than likely? Any bright ideas?

Old 01-05-2019, 08:30 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Following along on this as well. I had an “incident” where the radio died, then the cluster (all the gauges to zero), then the windows, and ampmeter to 8.1 volts while driving. Charged batteries and all seems well again.

I would think that that if you can flex the box and get things going on and off, there’s a loose connection or corrosion in there somewhere. I’ve not had one apart, so I can’t really suggest how to fix it, but I’d for sure be tearing it down if I were you (that’s where I’d start at least).

Old 01-05-2019, 09:11 AM
danno676
Mountain Pass
Low voltage can play havoc with the electronics on a vehicle. Yestti had to install new battery, had 400 can out of 1000, no good.

i expect to find something funky in the box, when I have time that is.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:29 PM
yolfran arevalo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
The cluster is not the issue as clarified in post #6. Also, since the main windows also work, the ADR itself is okay.

See attached diagram for discussion.

The output on the ADR on pin 87 is fed to two fuses, F601 which supplies the main window circuits and F42 which supplies the power vents and the radio. The F42 circuit is your problem. Pull it out and inspect the terminals of the fuse, the fuse itself, and the interior contacts that the fuse mates to. You might find that there had been an "add-a-fuse" tap used on that fuse and it stretched the contacts causing poor contact when removed. There are other possibilities, but that's the first that comes to mind.
i have a problem with my ford e-450 superstroker the dash stops working and the transmission changes but the truck turns on help please

Old 03-16-2019, 05:54 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 868 Likes on 720 Posts
Originally Posted by yolfran arevalo
i have a problem with my ford e-450 superstroker the dash stops working and the transmission changes but the truck turns on help please
Start your own NEW thread in the CORRECT forum section for your vehicle and give COMPLETE details.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:10 AM
danno676
Mountain Pass
Another update on this. I replaced my CJB and corrected part of the problem, in that the radio would stay on without have to twist the CJB, I found what looked as though someone had used a fuse tap and really jacked up the fuse holder. Well shortly after that...the windows and radio quit altogether. I found that I had constant power at pin 85 and 86 within CJB ADR, as it's supposed to, but when I energize the ignition I have no ground signal at pin 30 to activate the relay (I verified that I should have a ground signal against my 02 Superduty).
So not big deal, send my cluster to Circuit Board Medics. Well I got it back and I still have the same symptoms, no ground signal. If I jump power from either of the constant 12v pins to pin 87 the windows and radio work as normal.
I called CBM for further assistance with this and am still waiting.

Any ideas?

Old 04-09-2019, 08:18 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
I drilled tiny holes in the blades on the relay and ran a wire jumper through them for constant power. I pull the ADR if I ever need to leave the truck sitting more thanna day or just leave the charger on. I am thinking about just adding switched power to turn the relay on and off manually. Nothing else has worked and I’m not sending my cluster off and paying $180 for nothing.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:50 AM
danno676
Mountain Pass
Makes sense, unfortunately my issue with the relay isn't power, it's ground. There's nothing signaling it to switch power.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:36 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
I have no ground signal at pin 30 to activate the relay
Did you check circuit continuity from pin 86 of the ADR back to C220b-8? If that circuit run is open the relay cannot get the "command" to energize.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:06 PM
ScotF150
Mountain Pass

I'll throw out what I found when I was having weird electrical issues with the delayed circuit. I found the wire that supplies the under hood light was frayed and shorting.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:01 PM
danno676
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Did you check circuit continuity from pin 86 of the ADR back to C220b-8? If that circuit run is open the relay cannot get the "command" to energize.
I did not check the continuity on circuit 86, but I did ohm the ground on 30 to the instrument cluster and found that it had only .2 The other thing I tried, which I should have tried long ago, was I swap the cluster from my super duty into the excursion and everything worked fine. I then put the excursion cluster in my super duty and had the same problem. Based on that I can only assume that the repair is faulty, or got damaged in shipment. It is currently on its way back to circuit board medics for a re-evaluation.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:52 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Oops, I should have said pin 30, not 86. Distracted...

Does CBM know what the specific issue is that they have to solve?

Old 04-09-2019, 05:13 PM
danno676
Mountain Pass
Yeah when you said 86, I thought crap what did I miss???

I was on the phone with them a lot today, first because the cluster came back with a broken lense (or whatever the clear plastic cover is called), then because the radio/windows were still inop. I ran down a list of what I had done, then I was sent a sheet to further diagnose the issue. Funny thing was, the #8 ground wasn't listed in their diag chart. After all that was done I talked further with them, that's when I asked if the 02 cluster could be used to test my suspicion or if there would be a wiring conflict (diff year and Diesel vs gas). Anyway, swapping clusters proved that the issue was still with the cluster. CBM was a bit miffed bit said anything could happen. So far great support from them.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:14 PM
danno676
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ScotF150
I'll throw out what I found when I was having weird electrical issues with the delayed circuit. I found the wire that supplies the under hood light was frayed and shorting.
That is weird, but mine looks to be in good shape.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:16 PM
danno676
Mountain Pass
So a final post about this. I sent my repaired cluster back to CBM, they found an issue of some sort with it, replaced the lens and shipped it back.
Once installed....everything works as it's supposed to.

What's even better is that during all of this the radio quit working altogether, super frustrating!!!! During the remainder of the diagnosing process I had to just leave a test light connected to the radio power wire. That was an easy enough fix, I upgraded the sound system while I was had the dash bezel out, it's a shame though because I lost use of the entertainment center.

Bottom line, CBM has excellent service and follow through.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Delayed Accessory Relay problem