1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Introduction Time - Naufrago

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Naufrago
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introduction Time - Naufrago

Hello all.....
Thanks for letting me join the group!
Honestly I've already found so much good information here that I haven't had to ask any questions. Although I'm sure I will have to soon.

My story starts back in the mid seventies and I had just received my drivers license and it seemed like every time I asked the parents to use the car, they would tell me I would have to take the truck instead.

At the time it wasn't a vehicle you wanted to have when on a date, but it was perfect for fishing and pheasant hunting along the Missouri river of eastern Montana.

We had received the '55 Ford a few years earlier from our neighbor who just wanted it out of his driveway. "If you can get it started, it's yours". So a couple of hours later and a new fuel pump and the truck moved to our house.
One summer my father, brother and I did a "light" overhaul in the driveway replacing the rings, seals and bearings. Other than that, I cant remember doing much work to it at all.

I moved on with life and the truck stayed in my fathers possession. Stored inside out of the weather and driven only once or twice.

Early this spring he decided it was time to let it go and offered it to me.
After towing it to my place the process started. First get it started and then road worthy.

Before clean-up

Here's a list of what I've got done so far:

New tires
New distributor cap, rotor, points, plugs, plug wires and coil
6 volt battery
Belts, coolant flush, oil, filter and fresh gasoline
Rebuilt water pump
Carburetor kit and cleaning
New heater and radiator hoses
All new brakes, brake cylinders and wheel bearings with races.
New bearings and seals on the rear axles and differential fluid.
Replacement mirrors are on the way (expected delivery today).......

Water pump rebuild

Water pump installed

Disc brake pre rebuild 2018

Front hubs and brakes

Rear axle bearings

Rear drum

Front hubs

New hoses

What's next............?

Stainless brake lines
Emergency brakes
New dual brake master cylinder - safety first
Tail, turn lights and head lights
Steering wheel assembly and horn
New wire harness?

Should be about ready for a test drive at that point. After all it's only been thirty some years!
Thanks again!

If you need still more photos and a video or two:
https://the55f100.blogspot.com/2018/...beginning.html

Old 12-01-2018, 12:39 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Next step is drive it, enjoy it and let us know how it goes. Pictures help feed our addictions.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Naufrago
New User
Thanks Ray

Old 12-01-2018, 01:09 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
There will be allot of very jealous people on here as your starting point looks to be well ahead of most . Welcome and keep us updated .

Old 12-01-2018, 04:11 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome aboard! We'll try not to turn you to the Darkside to fast!

Old 12-01-2018, 04:22 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
But the darkside has cookies .

Old 12-01-2018, 04:55 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Hey, welcome to FTE The best Ford truck forum around! You've done right by including pictures. You have a great truck with a lot of family history! I owned my Meadow Green 54 F-100 since 1977 and I took my college girlfriend on dates in it! I am sure you're glad your Dad kept it stored inside!

I read your blog and watched the video. The engine sound good but I would be concerned with that whining or droning sound. Maybe you know.

You have the original hubcaps. Hang on to them. They do not make them like that anymore. They make shiny stainless steel ones.

Don't throw away your old coil and condenser. A lot of these made over seas are bad and don't last long. You can get your old coil tested at an auto electronics shop or do it yourself with a multi-meter.

And I've never seen a spotlight in the center of the windshield header? I've seen them low by the steering wheel and high on the drivers side. Does it work?

Aslo, if you haven't get new thick battery and starter cables made, 00 gauge or at least 1 gauge, welding cable is even better. The old 6 volts work fine but you need heavy cables and clean contact points, no rust, not paint.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Naufrago
New User
Originally Posted by EBEAR
There will be allot of very jealous people on here as your starting point looks to be well ahead of most . Welcome and keep us updated .
Thanks EBEAR, Your right, considering it's been sitting for so long, it really is in good shape.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:38 PM
Naufrago
New User
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Welcome aboard! We'll try not to turn you to the Darkside to fast!
Ha, my father would disown me if I went down that road............

Old 12-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Naufrago
New User
Originally Posted by abe
Hey, welcome to FTE The best Ford truck forum around! You've done right by including pictures. You have a great truck with a lot of family history! I owned my Meadow Green 54 F-100 since 1977 and I took my college girlfriend on dates in it! I am sure you're glad your Dad kept it stored inside!

I read your blog and watched the video. The engine sound good but I would be concerned with that whining or droning sound. Maybe you know.

You have the original hubcaps. Hang on to them. They do not make them like that anymore. They make shiny stainless steel ones.

Don't throw away your old coil and condenser. A lot of these made over seas are bad and don't last long. You can get your old coil tested at an auto electronics shop or do it yourself with a multi-meter.

And I've never seen a spotlight in the center of the windshield header? I've seen them low by the steering wheel and high on the drivers side. Does it work?

Aslo, if you haven't get new thick battery and starter cables made, 00 gauge or at least 1 gauge, welding cable is even better. The old 6 volts work fine but you need heavy cables and clean contact points, no rust, not paint.
Thanks Abe, all very good advice, and I'll take all I can get.

The droning sounds seems to be coming from the carburetor. If I cup my hand slightly over the intake, where the oil bath filter would sit, it seems to quiet down. Not sure yet what that tells us.........

Spot light doesn't work, never has while it's been in our possession. I kind of like the look of it though. It'son the list to look at.

Thanks again!

Old 12-02-2018, 03:05 AM
1949f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 373 Likes on 160 Posts
Welcome and nice back story.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:15 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Glenn,
Welcome Aboard! I honestly can't believe it runs that well after all this time!
I'd replace the gas tank - they get full of varnish & rust & are relatively inexpensive to
replace. You'll avoid a lot of headaches.

New tires, New brakes, New fluids, … I think you have a good plan. Listen to your truck
& it will tell you what needs to be done. Excellent job bringing her back to life. Resist the dark side...
We over did our's & I now have a 400hp restomod for going to Home Depot & light hauling...
Looking good over there in Oregon! (Are you sure it's Oregon? It looks very sunny).

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 12-02-2018, 09:39 AM
Naufrago
New User
Thanks Tracy!

Old 12-02-2018, 09:47 AM
Naufrago
New User
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Glenn,
Welcome Aboard! I honestly can't believe it runs that well after all this time!
I'd replace the gas tank - they get full of varnish & rust & are relatively inexpensive to
replace. You'll avoid a lot of headaches.

New tires, New brakes, New fluids, … I think you have a good plan. Listen to your truck
& it will tell you what needs to be done. Excellent job bringing her back to life. Resist the dark side...
We over did our's & I now have a 400hp restomod for going to Home Depot & light hauling...
Looking good over there in Oregon! (Are you sure it's Oregon? It looks very sunny).

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Gas tank..... I hadn't considered replacing that too hard. But your right, who knows what's in the bottom of that can.
I'll check prices and research swapping it out.

As for the darkside, I'm keeping it simple for now. I have the memories I would like to retain and somewhat limited space / funding to work on it.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 12-02-2018, 01:10 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Naufrago
Ha, my father would disown me if I went down that road............
The Force is Strong with this one!

But seriously, nice truck and you've down alot of work to it
glad your here and showing us pictures
keep up the good work.
Josh

Quick Reply: Introduction Time - Naufrago