1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing stock headlights with LED?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 08:59 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginther
I finally got around to installing my LED headlights,
SNIP
The light output is good. Brighter than stock, but not overwhelming. I haven't been flashed on the highway yet by people whole think I have my high beams on blinding them, so that's a good thing.
I went with these lights:
Headlights
SNIP
This looks interesting. Our most critical need now is for our daughter's P71, which has poor light on the road. It takes a 9007, and Amazon still sells the one you used in a 9007. The customer rating is higher than any other conversion LED bulb I've looked at so far. The light output is pretty well controlled in your pics. Under Amazon comments there are only two about radio static. For other bulbs, that is a much more frequent complaint. I think I'll order up a pair and give it a try. The clearance back behind the sockets on the Crown Vic might be an issue. I may have to do a little gum massage on the buckets back there....

Thanks for the facts.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:00 AM
quietman
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been using Hikaris from Amazon, about $60 pair, for a couple years. They are spectacular.
I already run a Brite Box, so my high beam setting is literally electric napalm.
I also use modern style cheap Chinese headlight assemblies with an LED strip built in. Looks and works fantastic. They were around $100 each, if I remember correctly. Been years.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:03 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
I gave these a try yesterday and they work well. The light on the road is not perfect, but it's reasonable, and the greatly increased light output means that overall lighting is a lot better than the old halogens were.

Installation was 10 minutes max on a Crown Vic P71 (very easy access with no tools needed). SD install will take a bit longer, I'd say 45 minutes on a 99-04 SD.

If I get any failure anytime soon, I'll post here.

Caution, get this exact model. The heatsink back needs to be small enough to fit thru the ring that holds the bulb into the housing.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JDL93W2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2TG3F01L9JZGJ&psc=1

Old 12-11-2018, 10:30 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
I gave these a try yesterday and they work well. The light on the road is not perfect, but it's reasonable, and the greatly increased light output means that overall lighting is a lot better than the old halogens were.

Installation was 10 minutes max on a Crown Vic P71 (very easy access with no tools needed). SD install will take a bit longer, I'd say 45 minutes on a 99-04 SD.

If I get any failure anytime soon, I'll post here.

Caution, get this exact model. The heatsink back needs to be small enough to fit thru the ring that holds the bulb into the housing.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JDL93W2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2TG3F01L9JZGJ&psc=1
If you've been following this thread and my earlier comments about how LED bulbs don't work well in halogen housings, you're probably saying "WTF?" to yourself.

The crux of the biscuit is FOCAL POINT.

The focal point is the exact spot at which the headlight housing and reflector needs the light to be emitted. The entire headlight is designed around the focal point. If it's wrong, the light output is wrong too.

This particular LED bulb has an ultra thin profile that comes within 1/32" of where a halogen filament would be. So the focal point is very close to the perfect spot. That's better than any LED bulbs I'd seen before. In fact, some cheap halogen bulbs are already 1/32" off from where the filament should be, or worse.

It's not perfect, but it's good. When you factor in the greatly increased light output, it's a large improvement overall. Thanks to Mike for needling me to reconsider my position. I stand corrected, at least for this model LED bulb with its ultra-thin design. I snapped up 3 sets at Amazon, only $38

Old 12-19-2018, 12:25 AM
sleek122
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quietman
I've been using Hikaris from Amazon, about $60 pair, for a couple years. They are spectacular.
I already run a Brite Box, so my high beam setting is literally electric napalm.
I also use modern style cheap Chinese headlight assemblies with an LED strip built in. Looks and works fantastic. They were around $100 each, if I remember correctly. Been years.

Do the Hikari have a high/low beam LED array? I just purchased a set for my car and am very impressed with the H7 LED's from them.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:47 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
If you've been following this thread and my earlier comments about how LED bulbs don't work well in halogen housings, you're probably saying "WTF?" to yourself.

The crux of the biscuit is FOCAL POINT.

The focal point is the exact spot at which the headlight housing and reflector needs the light to be emitted. The entire headlight is designed around the focal point. If it's wrong, the light output is wrong too.
EXACTLY! Proper adjustment of the filaments during installation is critical.

I see so many cars running around with headlights that are so screwed up it's not even funny. They're so bad I'm like how could they not know something is wrong! The light output has got to be horrible, they look cockeyed and wonky, etc...

But they are probably the same people that drive with their brights on in the city blinding the cars all around them, or use their brights as a second headlight bulb when their cheap flea market ultra cool blue bulbs burn out! LOL!

Old 12-19-2018, 08:21 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Ginther
EXACTLY! Proper adjustment of the filaments during installation is critical.
SNIPLOL!
With the particular bulbs that I installed and linked above, it's hard to see how one could get it wrong on a Gen1 SD. There's a notch in the top of the bulb's base, into which fits a little tab in the round hole of the lamp assembly. You'd have to work at it to get it wrong. But like you said, there are some people that seem to be oblivious.

I'm running them now in our Crown Vic, both Gen1 SDs, and planning to try them in the Mythic Church Van next.