1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing stock headlights with LED?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Towinrig
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is another site that has a good selection of aftermarket lighting options.
Diode Dynamics

Old 11-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Boo153
5th Wheeling
I'm more confused than ever. 05-07 housing? Is this something I should do? Can I just Google it or do you have any links that would help? Once I get them I can order led bulbs? Sorry to be so slow but most of this stuff is over my head. I haven't worked on a vehicle since my 1973 javelin

Old 11-29-2018, 12:39 AM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Projectlittleredf250
I do have the ones that are in page 1. I never thought about trying the other way. The led diode stripe that sticks out the farthest, did you put on the bottom or top? Like you said that may be my issue.
I’m pretty sure the one that sticks out futher is on top and that one should do the low beam and the one for the high beam is set back and on the bottom but let me double check before you quote me on that as running on maybe 8 hrs of crappy sleep this week. I’ve been meaning to check but I keep forgetting as I’ve been very busy and had a tire issue on top of that. I have a post on here that explains which one goes which way but could find it yesterday. EDIT: just got to check while waiting on a delivery at work what I said above was correct
Originally Posted by Boo153
I'm more confused than ever. 05-07 housing? Is this something I should do? Can I just Google it or do you have any links that would help? Once I get them I can order led bulbs? Sorry to be so slow but most of this stuff is over my head. I haven't worked on a vehicle since my 1973 javelin
the 05-07 housing is something that a lot of us with the 99-04 trucks do is upgrade to the 1 piece headlight from the 05-07 model trucks. It requires cutting the header panel with a dremel or replacing it with the newer one for the lights to fit, and getting an adapter harness that goes from 9007 bulbs that are used in the 99-04 to the h13 bulb used in the the 05 and up trucks.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:43 PM
Projectlittleredf250
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mike189677

I’m pretty sure the one that sticks out futher is on top and that one should do the low beam and the one for the high beam is set back and on the bottom but let me double check before you quote me on that as running on maybe 8 hrs of crappy sleep this week. I’ve been meaning to check but I keep forgetting as I’ve been very busy and had a tire issue on top of that. I have a post on here that explains which one goes which way but could find it yesterday. EDIT: just got to check while waiting on a delivery at work what I said above was correct

the 05-07 housing is something that a lot of us with the 99-04 trucks do is upgrade to the 1 piece headlight from the 05-07 model trucks. It requires cutting the header panel with a dremel or replacing it with the newer one for the lights to fit, and getting an adapter harness that goes from 9007 bulbs that are used in the 99-04 to the h13 bulb used in the the 05 and up trucks.

So mine matches that, my passenger side is good a decent spot and shoots far. But I'm not sure why the driver side doesn't match with the spot, almost looks like a flood. I'm not sure if its because I bought aftermarket lights or what. But they are brighter for sure. I'll try to take a picture of it tonight.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:28 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I would as I’ve never seen a headlight with a built in led unit for the headlight that fit our trucks.
They are available on fleabay. Here's an example https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1999-20...Ad1R:rk:2:pf:0. There's a customer in my buddy's shop who has a similar pair for 99-04 Super Dutys on his X and they work great. I saw him drive by and the light on the road is well controlled. No blinding oncoming like the LEDs put in stock headlights we see often in the shop. But I haven't talked to him recently to get the part number etc.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:41 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
SNIP
If you were to take I ride in my truck at night I think you’d be changing your tune, my results aren’t isolated either lots of us here are having awesome results with leds.
SNIP
Great idea. Post a video of the view from your inside your rig on a dark night. Be sure to show both low and high beams.

I'm sure your lights look awesome. I'm looking for well-placed bright light on the dark county roads we drive. Awesome looks great in the driveway. We see a lot of trucks here in Texas running LED bulbs in standard headlights. You can spot most of them several hundred yards away. Glare everywhere and lighting up the tree branches.

So post that video so we can whistle another tune.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:10 PM
Boo153
5th Wheeling
Didn't mean to cause a fight.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:12 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
deleted....

Old 12-04-2018, 11:53 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Those lights still use a halogen bulb h1 for high and low beam just like all the other similar lights to that one that I’ve seen do. If you wanted a led you would still have to put a led bulb like Ive been refering to this whole time in the projector and high beam positions if you wanted an led light source for your high and low beam headlights. I’m done debating this led thing with you. This isn’t going any where and given your example you don’t have the knowledge of the subject you think you do. Nor am trying to sell any led bulbs I don’t know why you think you needed to make that little quip in the other thread. All these trucks you see with bright lights are you chasing them down and asking them to confirm they have an led with the chips positioned like I’ve trired to explain and not just some led with the light source in some random spot like most of them seem to have and not an hid in their stock reflector housings or are you just assuming it’s led because it’s bright, white and you don’t know any better. I’ve posted pictures on here before of my results in one of these led threads and they’re still up. I don’t know why you want to keep disagreeing on the subject and at this point I frankly don’t care, even though there are pages and pages of people on here confirming exactly what I’m telling you. This will be my last post involving Renohuskerdu and leds.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:34 AM
cmaupin
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive wondered about these for awhile have you checked out these online
Truck Parts and Truck Accessories
pricey

Old 12-05-2018, 03:01 PM
xcrsp440
Fleet Mechanic
Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts
Those also use halogen bulbs for low and high beams.
you would need to purchase HID or LED bulbs to replace the halogens.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:24 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Those lights still use a halogen bulb h1 for high and low beam just like all the other similar lights to that one that I’ve seen do.
SNIP
Wondered about that myself. So I sent a message to the seller in CA. We'll see what they say.

Always great to discuss facts and opinions with fellow enthusiasts, isn't it?

Old 12-05-2018, 04:28 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
SNIP
I’ve posted pictures on here before of my results in one of these led threads and they’re still up.
SNIP
That's great Mike. How about posting the link so we can see it.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, because I could put that LED bulb in four of our vehicles. Send those pics.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:32 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Boo153
Didn't mean to cause a fight.
I'm not fighting. Just trying to get concrete facts to decide. Mike's surely a good guy and he'll send a link to those pics.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:23 PM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Here is a link to my LED headlight install with several pics and videos. My LED Headlight Bulb Install

I agree with what other's have said. LEDs can mimic halogens IF THEY ARE CLOCKED CORRECTLY. My LED bulbs had little allen head set screws that you could loosen to turn the filament to the proper orientation... which for my bulbs was 3 and 9 o'clock. They were clocked correct out of the box though.

I've been running this setup since April and spend a lot of miles on dark country roads and still have NEVER been flashed by someone who thinks I have my brights on or because my LEDs are scattering light everywhere. Even when towing my 5th wheel with the truck squatting a little, my lights still have never caused someone to flash me cuz their blinded by my lights.

I've seen other 11-16 SDs with LEDs that were obviously clocked wrong. Their light output looked like crap and the beams were all crooked and throwing light everywhere. I wanted to get them to pull over so I could educate them on how to clock their bulbs properly! LOL!

Quick Reply: Replacing stock headlights with LED?