Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat problem?

Old 11-24-2018, 06:07 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
2006powerstroke90 has a great reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a great reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a great reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a great reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a great reputation on FTE.
Thermostat problem?

On my 2014 6.7 I was driving home the other day in a snow storm normally a 45 min ride took me 3.5 hours!! Traveling the highway only doing 15mph literally the whole way home the temp gauge needle on the dash barely moved from the lowest position......

Drove the truck yesterday and same thing happened again but once i was doing 45mph or more it went to the middle like it normally should but as soon as I got back in town it cooled right off and the gauge dropped down.

Coolant is full.....

Any advice?

Old 11-25-2018, 06:35 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
place a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator if you can. Got to block off the wind.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:48 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
2006powerstroke90 has a great reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a great reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a great reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a great reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by senix View Post
place a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator if you can. Got to block off the wind.
I will give that a shot, i drove the truck yesterday about 40* out and it went up to temp no problem

Old 11-25-2018, 06:53 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
low speed driving is the worst for trying to maintain temps in a diesel. That is why all the school buses will have winter fronts on them.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:18 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
A couple weeks ago I towed my RV trailer off the mountain with all 8 tires chained up. I doubt that my speed exceeded 5 MPH. My heater was toasty warm the entire time.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:27 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 2006powerstroke90 View Post
On my 2014 6.7 I was driving home the other day in a snow storm normally a 45 min ride took me 3.5 hours!! Traveling the highway only doing 15mph literally the whole way home the temp gauge needle on the dash barely moved from the lowest position......

Drove the truck yesterday and same thing happened again but once i was doing 45mph or more it went to the middle like it normally should but as soon as I got back in town it cooled right off and the gauge dropped down.

Coolant is full.....

Any advice?
Doesnt't sound normal. I would agree that the thermostat sounds weak, or stuck open, and might need replacing. While travelling a low speeds when that cold will take a long time to heat up, it would definitely be warm long before 3.5 hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: