Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HPOP Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 02:01 PM
colt1126
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPOP Help

Hey guys so I have a 99.5 f350 and my hpop has been leaking for a few weeks. I ordered new seals and goodies to replace to stop the leaking. But while driving today the truck all of a sudden shut off and lost all oil pressure. I popped the hood and oil was all over the engine like the pump had exploded. I’m not sure what to do from here any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Clean up the mess and find the leak. A blown HPO hose would make a mess and if yours are original they would be my prime suspect. Otherwise it's just clean it and find it.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Clean up the mess and find the leak.....just clean it and find it.
What he said in the quote above.

To his " just clean it and find it" assertion, I would only add, "...and fix it with the new seals and goodies you bought."

Ok, maybe I'll add one more suggestion. Even if your HPOP lines are ok, I suggest you replace them both as preventive maintenance.

Stewart

Old 11-18-2018, 08:22 AM
colt1126
Freshman User
Thanks guys I’ll definitely clean the area up some. I’m getting closer to the hpop and so far the lines seem ok. Took out the ipr and it is fine as well. The thing that is bugging me is how all the oil suddenly shot out of the engine without a line busting

Old 11-18-2018, 09:02 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
If it's flowing that bad and you can't find it by just looking fill it up and have someone else start it while you watch, just be prepared to shut it down fast as the oil flows.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:59 AM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
throw some simple green in there and park on ramps or an incline and use a hose to wash the mess away. If its warm enough and you can still move it, cover the ALT with a bag and try not to directly spray anything else electronic.

popular culprits are the "non serviceable" plug, which is on the drivers side of the pump kind of at the bottom of it, i think its like a 1/4" bolt. You have to take the pump out to fix this if its the issue, you can get a new bolt with longer threads in a $30 kit from diesel O rings. USE A TORQUE WRENCH. Its steel fittings going into an aluminum housing*

next is gonna be your HPOP hoses and crossover line if you installed one, either a bad O ring on the fittings, a broken fitting where the sleeve has slid up the hose, a split hose. Just check your hoses lol.

also could be a bad gasket on the HPOP where it connects the the reservoir area, I think theres also another rear plug on the pump that could be causing an issue, USE A TORQUE WRENCH.

Is it sprayed all over the engine bay or is it to one specific area?

you can also check the cover for the drive bolt on the front of the motor, the oil rail seals by the firewall at the top of the motor

Old 11-18-2018, 12:05 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
I would recommend having someone crank the engine to check if an hpop line is broken before cleaning.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:22 PM
colt1126
Freshman User
Originally Posted by P4IN COMM4NDO
throw some simple green in there and park on ramps or an incline and use a hose to wash the mess away. If its warm enough and you can still move it, cover the ALT with a bag and try not to directly spray anything else electronic.

popular culprits are the "non serviceable" plug, which is on the drivers side of the pump kind of at the bottom of it, i think its like a 1/4" bolt. You have to take the pump out to fix this if its the issue, you can get a new bolt with longer threads in a $30 kit from diesel O rings. USE A TORQUE WRENCH. Its steel fittings going into an aluminum housing*

next is gonna be your HPOP hoses and crossover line if you installed one, either a bad O ring on the fittings, a broken fitting where the sleeve has slid up the hose, a split hose. Just check your hoses lol.

also could be a bad gasket on the HPOP where it connects the the reservoir area, I think theres also another rear plug on the pump that could be causing an issue, USE A TORQUE WRENCH.

Is it sprayed all over the engine bay or is it to one specific area?

you can also check the cover for the drive bolt on the front of the motor, the oil rail seals by the firewall at the top of the motor
as of right now i am a little past the point of being able to move my truck... its practically in pieces and its very cold. the oil seemed to have sprayed mostly all over the passenger side of the engine. right now j am about halfway done with getting my hpop out and so far i am not noticing anything with holes in it. i do suspect it could be one of my hoses but I'm not totally sure. i am going to replace every seal and gasket on the hpop as well as the "non serviceable plug" Do you happen to know the torque specs for those? Also any tips to take off the front bolt of the hpop without the engine turning? Here is a picture of the engine a few minutes after the truck shut off.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:00 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts
My HPOP leak was the plug on the top rear driver side of the pump. Blew through four gallons of oil in 40 miles. The plug was loose and o-ring shot. I ended up resealing the whole thing. It fixed the HPOP leak...still chasing another.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:30 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Other than the HPOP (and all the related plugs/gaskets/o-rings on it), the HPOP lines, the oil rail plugs, and maybe the ICP sensor, there isn't a whole lot that can spray oil around like that. Okay, so that IS a lot of stuff that can spray oil, but it looks like you have all of them covered except the ICP. An o-ring or a crack in the sensor itself could do that, but I don't think I've ever heard of them doing anything more than just weeping some oil.

My guess is once you tear into the HPOP and get the lines out to examine them, the fault will be obvious. If not, just do as others have said when you button it up - disconnect the 42-pin and have someone else crank it while you watch.

I just bought a handful of extra oil rail plug o-rings to have for spares, as one of the HPx ports managed to mangle one on the way in and I had to replace it. Who know which one will go next, but now I'm prepared.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:37 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
Looks like a possible line blowout to me with that spray pattern. Any idea on how much oil was lost? Regardless even if it is and your doing other stuff your engine will come out more reliable so look at it as an upgrade.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:44 PM
colt1126
Freshman User
well i just pulled the old HPOP out of the truck and I'm not really sure where to go from here. my thought was to just buy a new one and call it done but i can't really tell if it is no good. What do y'all think? would it be worth resealing this one since i have all the parts or should i just pull the trigger on buying a new one. i really don't want to have this problem again and my current one is OEM and has 425,000 miles on it. If i do go with a new one which one would y'all recommend? i would be looking a affordability but something that would work a little better than OEM as i do have a tuner on the truck and will be getting bigger injectors in the long run.

​​​​​​​

Old 11-18-2018, 03:53 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,440 Likes on 2,840 Posts
If you decide on new, the only two choices I would recommend are CNC Fabrication and Bosch.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:02 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Without knowing what it was putting out for pressure, it's tough to look at it and say it's on death's doorstep or anything... but 425k is a lot of miles, especially if you're going to ask it to do more work in the future with the tuner and injectors. And, you have half the battle done right now - it's on your bench.

I haven't done one yet, so I can't make any recommendations. I'm leaning toward doing a Bosch unit when the time comes, but I'm staying with stock injectors and only plan to run a mild tune if/when I get a Hydra.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:13 PM
colt1126
Freshman User
Originally Posted by PrescottIce
Without knowing what it was putting out for pressure, it's tough to look at it and say it's on death's doorstep or anything... but 425k is a lot of miles, especially if you're going to ask it to do more work in the future with the tuner and injectors. And, you have half the battle done right now - it's on your bench.

I haven't done one yet, so I can't make any recommendations. I'm leaning toward doing a Bosch unit when the time comes, but I'm staying with stock injectors and only plan to run a mild tune if/when I get a Hydra.
the bosch does seem to have a good bang for the buck. ill be doing some research as well. Although not to go to off topic but i just installed the Hydra a few weeks ago and it is by far one of the best things i have bought for my truck. i do get a little better fuel milage when i have it on a low tune and I also get a good piece of mind with the anti theft function. Totally worth the money and brought my 7.3 back to life.

Quick Reply: HPOP Help