1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

ABS unit interchangeability

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 10:59 AM
simplebuck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS unit interchangeability

hello all,
After about a year of struggling with the brake pedal sinking, after 3 replaced MC's, and a lot of brake system bleeding, the problem seems to come down to the 4WABS unit.

The brake pedal slowly sinks, all the time. Pumping it a few times makes the pedal firm up, and the sinking stops.
This happens engine on or off, vehicle moving or stopped.

A replacement ABS assembly from Ford is priced over $900, and even rockauto.com and NAPA don't have an aftermarket replacement.
Bluestreak lists a remanfactured control module, but has been out of stock for a long time.

I've been told that liability issues are making these ABS parts scarce.

So I'd like to seek out an ABS assembly from a junkyard.
car-parts.com lists quite a few that their website says will interchange, but I'd like a little more input about which ABS units will interchange successfully.
pullapart.com's interchangeability service shows several available too, from other model years.

The van that has the problem is ...2004 E150, 5.4 engine, ABS module 4C24-2C346-AF, 160k miles.

Can anyone shed some light about which ABS units will actually interchange ?
And under what circumstances re-programming the module needs to happen ?

thanks guys
Ed

Old 11-21-2018, 05:33 AM
98Econoline150
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 1992-2003 use a different version than 2004-2006. 2007 and newer use the same module as the E250.

The E150 uses the same mounting location regardless of whether it is a disc/drum or disc/disc system so it will bolt up, but getting the lines to work is a different story all together as the HCU has a different orientation between the two systems. 1992-2003 use a solid brake line that connects at the top of the HCU. 2004-2006 use a brake line with a steel braided hose to attach to the HCU and it connects on the side.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:32 AM
simplebuck
Freshman User
Thanks for that info, 98.
Do you, or does anyone here, know what happens when a replacement ABS unit that connects up like the original ... but with a different ID number on the control module .. is installed ?
I'm wondering if the PCM has a fit, the ABS light stays on, the ABS unit doesn't operate, the White House is notified .. lol .... or maybe it does just fine ?

Old 11-21-2018, 08:37 AM
98Econoline150
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried a junkyard part to replace my old HCU once.

I had an ABS issue with a random activation where the pedal would drop to the floor, or the ABS would vibrate the pedal and push back. No one could figure it out so I pulled the Maxi-fuse and converted the truck to 4-wheel disc brakes.

I reinstalled the maxi-fuse after the conversion and the truck operated normally with the same HCU.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:58 AM
simplebuck
Freshman User
thanks 98,
Sounds like you did get to the heart of your ABS problem.
Like your situation, no one can figure it out ... although I think that between people here, and maybe YouTube .. I'll get it solved.
The brake people I talk with, mainly say "ABS units rarely fail" and want to replace the MC again.
But I can understand that a lot of techs might not be really familiar with a rare ABS problem.
My situation is a little different from yours ...
1. already have 4-wheel disc brakes
2. no ABS activation happens, that I can detect
3. pedal doesn't push back
4. pedal slowly drops to within about 2" of the floor, then firms up at that place
And also ... there's been no automated bleed of my ABS unit ... yet,
and no brake-related dash lights are on (they all test ok at engine startup tho).
I'm trying not to throw money at this issue, hoping to go right to the source of the problem.
thx

Old 08-29-2021, 12:34 PM
canuck1414
4th Gear
Originally Posted by simplebuck
thanks 98,
Sounds like you did get to the heart of your ABS problem.
Like your situation, no one can figure it out ... although I think that between people here, and maybe YouTube .. I'll get it solved.
The brake people I talk with, mainly say "ABS units rarely fail" and want to replace the MC again.
But I can understand that a lot of techs might not be really familiar with a rare ABS problem.
My situation is a little different from yours ...
1. already have 4-wheel disc brakes
2. no ABS activation happens, that I can detect
3. pedal doesn't push back
4. pedal slowly drops to within about 2" of the floor, then firms up at that place
And also ... there's been no automated bleed of my ABS unit ... yet,
and no brake-related dash lights are on (they all test ok at engine startup tho).
I'm trying not to throw money at this issue, hoping to go right to the source of the problem.
thx
I have this issue currently. When I am driving I have to quickly pump my pedal once to get pressure and it will stop as it normally would. If I press hard on the brake to do an emergency stop it does not have much stopping power and the pedal will go to the floor.

On the ABS unit the one valve on the pump is defective. It will push out atomized fluid and will suck some air back into the system. When I place my finger on the cap, you can feel it ballon out.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future who is having these symptoms. I will say that I replaced the master cylinder first, then spent ages bleeding the lines and master cylinder thinking it was defective. If you have to build pressure like I did, it’s definitely worth looking into.

Here is the video to test the valves if you don’t have obvious symptoms like mine: