Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment issues?

Old 11-15-2018, 11:52 AM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
BillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to behold
Alignment issues?

I just went thru a set of Cooper Discoverer RTXs in 2yrs & 30K miles. (285 75-16). Rotated the tires at every oil change, (5K) miles. Now in the past, my tires would wear flat.and even. But this time, they wore on the inside more than the outside. About the same on all 4 tires but still uneven from inside to out. Tire pressure regularly checked too and set at 55psi as I haven't hauled any heavy loads in awhile.
I am thinking excessive negative camber.
Doesn't pull either side unless i am on a road with a little more crown than normal, But when I go to pass a car on those roads, it almost feels like it "falls" over to the other side when I crest over the crown of the road while passing.
Can it be possible for too much toe out?
I replaced the ball joints 2yrs ago just a couple of days before I bought the tires and got an alignment. Shortly after I replaced everything from the pitman arm to the tie outer rod ends and had the alignment checked again. I would of just expected better wear pattern and more miles.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

Old 11-15-2018, 04:43 PM
burnthelight88
Elder User
burnthelight88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not to thread highjack, but I'm actually having a similar issue and want to see what the opinions are. Mine are the Cooper ATX though and the front ones wore super hard on the inside in not very many miles. Tire pressure always kept up (plus shouldn't be inflation since outside edge of tire didn't wear like inside). Replaced basically all front end parts and then had it aligned right before putting these tires on. Now I'm about to need to replace tires because the insides are worn almost smooth but the middle and outside probably have something like 10/32nds.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:48 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
1st question: Why the rear tires as well?
2nd question: Do you trust the alignment shop? I have had situations where the shop said "it is perfectly in spec" yet wore the outside edges of the tire in less that 100 miles.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:24 PM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
BillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by hydro man 17 View Post
1st question: Why the rear tires as well?
2nd question: Do you trust the alignment shop? I have had situations where the shop said "it is perfectly in spec" yet wore the outside edges of the tire in less that 100 miles.
Rear tires also cause of rotating... front to back and back to front etc. They all took turns being drive or steering tires. Took turns rolling one way the the other. I hate the feel and sound of cupping.

As for the shop.... not sure. I used them for the alignment cause that's where I got the tires and the alignment was a gimmie. They got good ratings but you can only trust those as much as a rattlesnake. Just moved to the area right before I did all the work and got the tires. Not my regular area with shops I do trust.

and...I also replaced the front bearings at the time too.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:37 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
With inside wear my first thought is the toe is set to far out. But still could be ball joints, especially with the "falling over" sensation.

Jack up the front and grab the tires at 12 o'clock and 6, yank it around. Do the same at 9 and 3. If loose both ways it's hubs, if just loose at 12 and 6 it's the ball joints.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:57 PM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
With inside wear my first thought is the toe is set to far out. But still could be ball joints, especially with the "falling over" sensation.

Jack up the front and grab the tires at 12 o'clock and 6, yank it around. Do the same at 9 and 3. If loose both ways it's hubs, if just loose at 12 and 6 it's the ball joints.

I'm hoping not. Cause as I read your post, I remembered also replacing ball joints and bearing assemblies then. But will check anyway. Gonna be cold n snowy this weekend so looks like a good day to play in the shop./

Old 11-15-2018, 11:18 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BillyBob69 View Post
I'm hoping not. Cause as I read your post, I remembered also replacing ball joints and bearing assemblies then. But will check anyway. Gonna be cold n snowy this weekend so looks like a good day to play in the shop./
Don't forget to look up from the truck to root for the Broncs over the Chargers.

Plus it could still be the toe. Last couple times I got alignment it seemed like the techs were in over their head with a Superduty. I live in Prius land.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:05 AM
burnthelight88
Elder User
burnthelight88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Prius land with all their SMUG pollution

Old 11-16-2018, 09:29 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
A detailed pic would help as would current alignment specs.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:12 AM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
A detailed pic would help as would current alignment specs.
I can't give you current alignment specs as it was two years ago when I had it last done. But I might be able to get my wife to give me a hand with taking some measurements! Hmmmm just another way to get her all dirty. hehe
As for pics...well sure...I can get pics of the tire wear. If that's what you are looking for.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
If it were mine I would start with getting current alignment specs to remove some of the guessing.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:28 AM
ZachinCO
Senior User
ZachinCO is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
FWIW I used the Brakes Plus on Powers/Palmer Park for my last alignment. Seems to be holding true.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:41 PM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ZachinCO View Post
FWIW I used the Brakes Plus on Powers/Palmer Park for my last alignment. Seems to be holding true.
Oh I will be. New tires are coming in the next week or two. In that time I will be digging in to check for work parts n such. Just want to be sure that when I go for new tires and alignment, I have the stuff I can do covered so they don't try to tell me that I need something I don't. Happened once with my wife's car. I went in for tires and they claimed I needed new brake pads and rotors needed to be turned. I laughed and was pissed at the same time. I had just replaced the pads and rotors not 1 month prior. So... I check all and fix all that is needed within my tool collection & knowledge limits..then I go to the shop.
Usually things that need a large machine, like alignment, tires and trannys...I leave alone. Most other things I can take care of.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:36 PM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
OK So i rotated the tires again...I like to keep even wear...even if they are wearing wrong.
Checked play and top to bottom on both sides there is none. Side to side...Only on the drivers side. And very slight. I will have to get my wife or someone to work the steering back n forth to see if it is the bearing or tie rods. I did see 1 boot on the outer end on the drivers side with a small tear. Hopefully that is the prob. Cheap easy fix there. Bearings are easy...just not cheap...unless you replace just the bearings and not the housing too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.