No brake/reverse/turn lights on rear. 3rd brake and running lights still work - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

No brake/reverse/turn lights on rear. 3rd brake and running lights still work

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 11-08-2018, 09:42 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
P4IN COMM4NDO is starting off with a positive reputation.

title says it all. Checked fuses. Everything in cab checks out. Electronic brake controller lights up. 3rd brake lights up. Bulbs replaced. Nothing.

Thinking its wiring cuz they went out on the tail end, then came on again later that day, then went off and stayed off. And the cab light still works.

Looking to tear into where they tapped for the trailer plugs tomorrow with a test light but any other ideas appreciated

Old 11-09-2018, 11:03 AM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
BillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to behold
Unless you put in trailer plugs that were not OEM designed then I would definitely start there. There is a connector on the drivers side in the frame rail meant to be where you add a small harness for trailer plugs. Check that as well. Look efor pins pushed in and barely making contact etc. Bad grounds... I had an issue where I had no lights ont he back and found a factory ground at the rear from the harness that the wire had broken loose from the connector.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:25 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
P4IN COMM4NDO is starting off with a positive reputation.
replaced bulbs, nothing.
watched a video someone had the exact same issue so i took apart and cleaned multifunction switch, got the right turn signal back, but it would randomly stop then come back. So i ordered a new switch off of amazon. waited a week for it to get here cuz they screwed up the prime shipping.
installing was a PITA, the prongs were slighty off center to the one plug so i had to mess with it for about 30 minutes to get it lined up.

Anyways turn the key on and it started dumping out my windshield washer fluid and had my wipers on full speed. turned the key off and put my 4 ways on, had front signals and the right rear, except this time it didnt go off at all.

swapped the multifunction switches and had the same results, so any suggestions as what to look at tomorrow in addition to checking the tow package wiring or whatever?

planning to run a test light and start tracing wires which i just love doing, replacing fuses and relays.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:42 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like you are on the right track with the switch but possibly have an incorrect switch configuration, especially if you had to tinker with it in the first place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.