Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new member first post

Old 11-14-2018, 10:52 PM
Dave's here
New User
Dave's here is starting off with a positive reputation.
new member first post

Just finished putting a lot of maintenance into my V10 Excursion (2001) with 94000 miles : new Michelin Defenders, new OEM fuel pump and filter, new front brake calipers, new spark plugs (zero broken and they all look evenly worn), new fuel pressure regulator, one new fuel injector (#7), two new coil packs (#8 and #9), mass air flow sensor, new air filter. It's great to have it running like new again and look forward to putting another 100000 miles on it.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:51 AM
loganj01
Senior User
loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.
Welcome to the group. Lots of good Excursion info in the Tech Folder in case you haven't already found it. Post up some pics when you can.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:03 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader
wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Welcome Dave!

Old 11-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Jeff53
Senior User
Jeff53 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jeff53 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jeff53 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jeff53 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Dave's here View Post
Just finished putting a lot of maintenance into my V10 Excursion (2001) with 94000 miles : new Michelin Defenders, new OEM fuel pump and filter, new front brake calipers, new spark plugs (zero broken and they all look evenly worn), new fuel pressure regulator, one new fuel injector (#7), two new coil packs (#8 and #9), mass air flow sensor, new air filter. It's great to have it running like new again and look forward to putting another 100000 miles on it.
Dave's not here, man.

Welcome aboard!

Old 11-15-2018, 05:18 PM
Dave's here
New User
Yes I am, man !
Will try to get some pics up this week.
Thanks for the welcomes.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Psyclopse is a name known to allPsyclopse is a name known to allPsyclopse is a name known to allPsyclopse is a name known to allPsyclopse is a name known to allPsyclopse is a name known to all
Welcome! Can't wait to see some pics.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:01 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Dave's here View Post
Welcome to the EX forum and family Dave!
You mentioned that none of the plugs broke, that is an issue for the early years of the 3 valve mod motors, not our 2 valve engines. What IS an issue is the early V-10s had only 4 threads for their plugs in the heads, which is a factor in one of the only "issues" with these motors, possible plug blowouts. What torque values did you use when installing the new plugs? The factory spec is only 11 ft/lbs, which isn't very tight, many users here have increased their plug torque to 26/28 ft/lbs with good results. Did you also install all new plug boots and springs?

Old 11-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Dave's here
New User
I am a good or better garage mechanic, have 12 old motorcycles, all carbed, and a '94 XR7 V8 Cougar, but the only work I personally did that I listed was the air and fuel filter, while all else was done by either the local Ford dealer (all engine related work), a local truck service center (the fuel pump and brake calipers), or Discount Tire, so don't hate me for not tackling the engine. All plugs were evenly worn and blackish, except #7 that needed the fuel injector, and that plug was ash gray to clean. I got all the plugs back from the shop, numbered, which I specifically wanted to have, a good idea, so you can see for yourself what was going on. A funny note, what I thought my misfire and rough running over 50 mph was the fuel injector wires on #10, which had been chewed thru by a squirrel, that I had to re-splice, and I thought maybe my wire repair was faulty, but no, it was #7. A proper diagnostic by a good Ford dealer shop is worth it, at least at my local dealer, can't speak for any other. "Stealerships" is a well earned name at many dealers but the one we have here is good. I told them I want all plugs for sure and was not shy to go all coil packs and injectors but they said no, you only need one injector and two coil packs, and no charge for the labor on the coil packs. I also never would have known I needed a new fuel pressure regulator or mass air flow sensor without a diagnostic, so I am pleased with the overall tune-up experience.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Dave's here
New User

Here it is, more to follow.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Dave's here
New User

2 car garage with no room for expansion. My motorcycle shop takes up the other space.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Dave's here
New User

That leaves my beater Camry and Cougar out in the cold.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:01 PM
Dave's here
New User

But I am not willing to give up my bike shop. Also have a walkout rambler so I can roll some bikes indoors in the winter. One downstairs room is also set up as a nice little machine shop.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Dave's here
New User

I cut up a 3/4" sheet of plywood into 4 pieces to keep the floor clean and also to use one piece up against the rear doors when hauling long piece of wood, in this case a 13' stick of 1x4.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:14 PM
Dave's here
New User

After the kids left home the 3rd row seat went to the shed where the squirrels wasted no time chewing a huge hole in it. I have walnut trees so any car left outdoors gets walnuts and nests in the engine compartment in the fall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.