Shocks........ - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Shocks........

Old 11-14-2018, 01:20 AM
telly9987
Freshman User
telly9987 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shocks........

Hey guys, new to the forum and the truck. Had a '17 2500 L5P and just moved to a '19 F250 6.7 Platinum.
Current setup:
- 2.5' Pro Comp Leveling kit
-Pro Comp track bar drop
-Air Lift Load Lifter 5000+
-Method 20x9's
-37X12.5 Nitto Grapplers
- Few other random mods and tweaks

My question is if switching to Bilstein 5100's is worth it or not. I tow roughly 15k lbs quite often and almost never go offload (live in Los Angeles). The Chevy was buttery smooth driving and towing and the Ford is quite a bit stiffer and rougher.

Also, any thoughts on Bilstein vs. King vs. Fox. Im not sold on the Bilstein's BUT I hate the look of remote resi, along with the large multiple chambers and flashy shiny stuff. But if there is a solid reasoning to do so im all ears. Thoughts and experience?

Thanks

Old 11-14-2018, 10:48 AM
KCRebel
Senior User
KCRebel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Search the forum and you'll find numerous threads on shocks with as many differing opinions. I'm squarely in the Fox 2.0 fan club as I've had them on my last 2 trucks and won't be running anything but them as they suit my driving needs better than anything else on the market but as you will see there are many others who have strong dislikes for Fox shocks.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:09 AM
Mickey Bitsko
Senior User
Mickey Bitsko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by KCRebel View Post
Search the forum and you'll find numerous threads on shocks with as many differing opinions. I'm squarely in the Fox 2.0 fan club as I've had them on my last 2 trucks and won't be running anything but them as they suit my driving needs better than anything else on the market but as you will see there are many others who have strong dislikes for Fox shocks.
What is the life expectancy for Fox 2.0?
you have on all four?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Turbo Dog
Postmaster
Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.
They're rebuild able so you can keep them for ever.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:57 PM
KCRebel
Senior User
KCRebel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Mickey Bitsko View Post
What is the life expectancy for Fox 2.0?
you have on all four?
As Turbodog noted they are rebuildable. Yes I have them all the way around.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Mickey Bitsko
Senior User
Mickey Bitsko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks I'll take a look at them.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:48 PM
Roach
Freshman User
Roach is starting off with a positive reputation.
Howdy,
Two questions:
1. How often do you have to rebuild the Fox shocks if your 90% highway 10% off road?
2. How much does it cost to rebuild those bad boys?

Thanks

Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 PM
telly9987
Freshman User
Anyone use anything other then Fox....

Old 11-15-2018, 12:16 AM
mothnuts
Senior User
mothnuts is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by telly9987 View Post
Anyone use anything other then Fox....
I had Fox 2.0 on my Ď17 and decided to try Rancho 9000XLís on my Ď19. Iím only in week 2 of the Ranchoís, but at this moment I think I prefer the Fox 2.0. I need to play with the adjustable settings. Iím at 6 in the front and 3 in the back right now. Itís definitely better on the highway, but the Foxís were way better on country roads. Itís give and take tho, as you probably arenít going have great highway ride and great country road ride. I installed sulastic shackles at the same time as the Ranchoís, so itís a tough comparison, but I might switch to Fox off of looks and quality alone. One of the ***** was broke on the Rancho right out of the box. The Ranchoís look good on the back, but the Foxís look way better on the front. I was kind of surprised the stock Ď19 shocks werenít any better the the stock Ď17 FX4 shocks. Itís pretty pathetic really.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:31 AM
telly9987
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mothnuts View Post

I had Fox 2.0 on my Ď17 and decided to try Rancho 9000XLís on my Ď19. Iím only in week 2 of the Ranchoís, but at this moment I think I prefer the Fox 2.0. I need to play with the adjustable settings. Iím at 6 in the front and 3 in the back right now. Itís definitely better on the highway, but the Foxís were way better on country roads. Itís give and take tho, as you probably arenít going have great highway ride and great country road ride. I installed sulastic shackles at the same time as the Ranchoís, so itís a tough comparison, but I might switch to Fox off of looks and quality alone. One of the ***** was broke on the Rancho right out of the box. The Ranchoís look good on the back, but the Foxís look way better on the front. I was kind of surprised the stock Ď19 shocks werenít any better the the stock Ď17 FX4 shocks. Itís pretty pathetic really.

Nice. Thank you for the input. On your '19 are you lifted or leveled? Do you plan on running the shackles as well as do you tow? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get as much info as possible before making my choice. Multiple different forums for different trucks all having the same discussions, very interesting.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:57 AM
mothnuts
Senior User
Originally Posted by telly9987 View Post
Nice. Thank you for the input. On your '19 are you lifted or leveled? Do you plan on running the shackles as well as do you tow? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get as much info as possible before making my choice. Multiple different forums for different trucks all having the same discussions, very interesting.
I leveled it by using the PMF 1.5Ē lowering blocks. Ended up lowering it about an 1 1/4Ē from stock by the time the shackles were installed. I donít tow much, maybe 10% of the time. When I do tow itís usually a lot of dead weight, as there isnít any weight on the pickup. I do occasionally pull our 28í gooseneck with a big skid or utility tractor, but even then the trailer handles the majority of the weight. I really like the shackles. Thereís no doubt they help, and after hours of researching I wouldnít be concerned even if I was towing heavy with them. I think the Fox 2.0 and the Sulastics would be a good combination.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:01 AM
mothnuts
Senior User

What I mean by dead weight.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:16 AM
mothnuts
Senior User

I came from the GM side as well.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:12 AM
telly9987
Freshman User
Awesome... Thanks so much! Great input think im going to start with the fox and see how it does. im on 37's so if I do shackles ill have to make adjustments so im not sitting unlevel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.