2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Wrong Viscosity

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 11:22 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by northernpreacher
I live in central Ontario, Canada. I have run Rotella 15-40 in diesel pickups for over 30 years in all sorts of weather. We do get very cold weather. I routinely run 600,00 km or more and have had no problems. I do not start in cold weather and then put the pedal down right away. Give the engine a couple of minutes for fluids to warm up. No problem.
Just about all the diesel engines of today and 10 to 30 years ago have in common is the all run on diesel. Technology and lubrication requirements change. Oil you used 4 years ago even if it is the correct weight has been replaced with a new specification.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:17 PM
Boilermaker374
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
CJ-4 in the appropriate weight still has Fords approval for the 6.7.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:47 PM
RCR70ss
Senior User
i would use coconut oil and not support the big oil company's!

Old 11-16-2018, 03:12 PM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 584 Likes on 385 Posts
Originally Posted by Boilermaker374
CJ-4 in the appropriate weight still has Fords approval for the 6.7.

CORRECT. CK-4 should not be used. Only oil meeting spec MSS-M2C171-F1shoukd be used.

heres a link to currently approved oils meeting spec https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...SSM2C171F1.pdf

Old 11-20-2018, 09:36 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyct

CORRECT. CK-4 should not be used. Only oil meeting spec MSS-M2C171-F1shoukd be used.

heres a link to currently approved oils meeting spec https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...SSM2C171F1.pdf

To state that CK-4s should not be used, as a blanket statement, is misleading. There are LOTS of CK-4 certified lubes on Ford's approved list.
I agree with using a Ford approved lube, but their entire statement and position is dubious at best.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 584 Likes on 385 Posts
Originally Posted by dnewton3
To state that CK-4s should not be used, as a blanket statement, is misleading. There are LOTS of CK-4 certified lubes on Ford's approved list.
I agree with using a Ford approved lube, but their entire statement and position is dubious at best.
Thank you for the correction. You are correct. Any oil on the Ford approved list is fine.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...SSM2C171F1.pdf

That list keeps growing. I rememeber when it was only 3 pages now it’s 11 pages, with many CK-4 oils now approved.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:29 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by No.15
I think most sae 15w oils are rated to -4
different country?

Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 PM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
but their entire statement and position is dubious at best.
I take it to mean there is a valvetrain wear issue. At least in the sense that it is overly sensitive to the oil used. Now, it appears to me that the problem might only have been with dual-rated SN oils. There were actually dual-rated SN/CJ-4 oils before CK-4 came out and those SN/CJ-4 oils were also limited to 800 ppm phosphorus (30 wt). Blaming it on CK-4 is suspicious to me as well. Interested in your thoughts.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:04 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Their initial statement was about valve-train wear. I emailed many sources at Ford when that first came out, and no one would ever give a detailed response. I asked for data; real proof. They would share nothing and only give me a canned answer; don't use CK-4. I'm not saying they are wrong, or over-reacting, but when you make a claim you should be able/willing to back it up! So they warned against CK-4 oils; use only CJ-4 lubes they said. Yet now, as pointed out, there's lots of CK-4 lubes on the list; LOTS of them are CK-4.

So what changed? Did the entire API certified lube market bow down to Ford and suddenly start adding in more phos? Nope. I can only surmise that Ford realized that they were way too zealous in their initial statement. Now they don't speak of the valve-train wear at all, and have approved many, many CK-4 lubes. But for warranty purposes, you can only use one on their approved list, if you want no hassles in their warranty process. Their formal statement was that the drop in Phos below 1000 ppm was detrimental to valve-train wear; so NO CK-4 lubes should be used. Ford not only said to not use CK-4 on the 6.7L, but ALL PowerStroke diesels. Hmmmmmmm ...... As if they took the time to fully and thoroughly test CK-4 lubes on the old 7.3L, 6.0L or even the 6.4L?????? Yeah ... right .... they didn't do that at all. I worked for Ford for 16 years. I now work in the HVAC industry. I have friends that work for GM, Chrysler, Navistar, 3M, Kodak, and a host of other big companies. There is no company that worries about testing fluids on products (engines) they have not made or warrant for more than a decade!!!!! But Ford just plopped down a wet-blanket statement that all CK-4 lubes were to be avoided in all PSD engines. And yet now, there's a slew of CK-4 approved lubes on the current list. Again - what's more likely? Did the entire lube industry decide to move towards Ford, or did Ford sheepishly decide that it may have over-reacted and now approves many lubes it previously warned against using?

I concur with you. I think Ford threw out a blanket statement before looking at the details. CK-4 lubes that are only diesel rated still have plenty of Phos. Dual rated lubes in thinner grades have a lower limit, as you state.

The Ford statement made a LOT of people start clammoring for CJ-4 lubes; snatching up all the stock they could find on the shelves and hoarding it. When the reality is that there's nothing wrong with a diesel-spec CK-4.

Is there a concern for valve-train wear using a lube with lower Phose (800ppm)? I don't know, and Ford won't tell. But let's suppose that's actually true; that the 6.7L (and presumably all former PSDs) cannot tolerate less Phos. What does that say of the Ford/Navistar engines, when the rest of the entire diesel market (Cummins, GM in light duty; Volvo, Mack, Cummins, Navistar, etc in the OTR market) have never said one bad word about the CK-4 lubes? Are we to assume that all diesel engines Ford ever sold us in pickem-up-trucks are just weak-kneed and cannot take a lube that the rest of the entire diesel industry seems to be able to handle in stride? Is THAT notion good for the Ford truck image??????

If you look at that "statement" link on their fluids/chemicals site, it has been updated to warn against "CK-4/SN" oils. That was NOT the original statement when it came out. I printed it out when it first came out, and that ain't what it said. You'll note that they've updated the statement for more clarity, but oddly (suspiciously) they didn't put a "date" on the updated letter. I do believe their statement letter now is much more informative and delineates between single and dual rated lubes, but the damage is already done! Folks panic'd and only heard "don't use CK-4" in a Ford ... ever. But to be honest, they still need to clean up the wording; here it is as of today ...
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...0Statement.pdf
"Ford will not be recommending the use of CK-4 motor oils in any Ford diesel engines, new or old. Ford testing has shown some CK-4 type formulations have shown inadequate wear protection compared to CJ-4 formulations developed and licensed before 2016."
OK - they state, still to this day, to not use CK-4 oils, but they their approved list if FULL of them!
Talk about hypocrisy!!!!

I see this as one of two things ...
1) they over-reacted before really vetting the lube, or
2) they truly have a problem with wear, but are afraid to speak out now because the rest of the diesel world apparently knows how to make engines that are NOT susceptible to CK-4 concerns
Neither is a flattering view of Ford's public lube campaign.
Hence, my comment about dubious fluid statements coming from Ford.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:13 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
On the other hand some testing done by Ford may have indicated questionable wear in certain areas and the engineering analysis concluded that in order to err on the side of caution this would be the official position of Ford at this time. As further qualification testing is conducted on the unapproved oils Ford accepts that data that will mitigate the concerns and a license will be granted. The official position will in fact change as seen in the current approved usage lists from the ones published in prior years.

If you worked for Ford then you understand why they do not release detailed internal proprietary engineering analysis data to the public--it would be a legal nightmare because once someone put it out there it is there forever.

The only constant in life is change and Ford as time goes on will likely as more manufacturers pay them to be a part of the "approved" list will add them. It is all about the $$$$ to a certain extent lol. Ford is on the ropes right now and needs all of the revenue it can generate.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:01 AM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Their initial statement was about valve-train wear.
I have seen the initial slide deck showing increased wear in the rocker arms. They didn’t share what oil was tested to give this wear, or what conditions the test was run under. The initial statement said that oils having at least 1000 ppm phosphorus would win the coveted F1 spec. They also said an actual wear test would be developed to replace the arbitrary 1000 ppm limit. So in theory, based on the initial statement, any oil passing the wear test should meet the spec, regardless of phosphorus levels. Do you have any idea if they switched to the wear test to get oils on the list or if they are still going by the phosphorus levels?

Old 11-24-2018, 12:18 AM
fskubota
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Pa, close to same temp range, was 11 here this week. I use 10w30 for winter, 15w40 for summer.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:36 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Originally Posted by BillyE

I have seen the initial slide deck showing increased wear in the rocker arms. They didn’t share what oil was tested to give this wear, or what conditions the test was run under. The initial statement said that oils having at least 1000 ppm phosphorus would win the coveted F1 spec. They also said an actual wear test would be developed to replace the arbitrary 1000 ppm limit. So in theory, based on the initial statement, any oil passing the wear test should meet the spec, regardless of phosphorus levels. Do you have any idea if they switched to the wear test to get oils on the list or if they are still going by the phosphorus levels?
I don't know what wear test they are using.
However, there are CK-4 lubes on their "approved" list that have less than 1000ppm of phos.
It's so convoluted it's crazy!
They say "don't use CK-4" and "must have 1000ppm phos", but then they approve CK-4s with less than that amount of phos .... talk about schizophrenic double-speak !!!!
And don't forget that the entire rest of the diesel world has absolutely no issue with CK-4 lubes overall. Not Mack, Volvo, GM, Caterpillar, Cummins, DD, etc. Just Ford ...

Again - one of only a few things can be true here:
1) they DO have a valve-train wear problem with some CK-4 lubes, and it's because of some "iffy" mechanical composition property of the metals they use
2) they don't have a wear issue, but thought they did, and now are quietly approving things they previously warned would be unacceptable

There are so many "approved" lubes on that list it would probably easier just to name the few that didn't pass the test; probably a very short list.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:22 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
I don't know what wear test they are using.
However, there are CK-4 lubes on their "approved" list that have less than 1000ppm of phos.
It's so convoluted it's crazy!
They say "don't use CK-4" and "must have 1000ppm phos", but then they approve CK-4s with less than that amount of phos .... talk about schizophrenic double-speak !!!!
And don't forget that the entire rest of the diesel world has absolutely no issue with CK-4 lubes overall. Not Mack, Volvo, GM, Caterpillar, Cummins, DD, etc. Just Ford ...

Again - one of only a few things can be true here:
1) they DO have a valve-train wear problem with some CK-4 lubes, and it's because of some "iffy" mechanical composition property of the metals they use
2) they don't have a wear issue, but thought they did, and now are quietly approving things they previously warned would be unacceptable

There are so many "approved" lubes on that list it would probably easier just to name the few that didn't pass the test; probably a very short list.
If your lube has a >1,000PPM of phosphorous Ford basically rubber stamps the certification approval. If your lube has <1,000PPM of phosphorous your lube has to pass a Ford derived testing procedure to be certified. Also the wear issue by an unknown CK4 oil reported by Ford was at the pivot point on the rocker arms since it's design has a small surface area and allows point loading which causes increased wear rates.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:31 AM
FOURBYBUD
Senior User
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fskubota
I live in Pa, close to same temp range, was 11 here this week. I use 10w30 for winter, 15w40 for summer.
Curious, do you find any difference in fuel economy between the different weight oils?