Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best location to tap hot coolant for an aftermarket heat exchanger (for hot water)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 08:22 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Thx, very helpful!

Originally Posted by sideburnie
(yes, i understand that's not what the flow through the heat exchanger looks like)
Right, but when you make your “how to for dummies” like me, that’s the path I imagine.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:03 AM
RPhil
Mountain Pass
Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the information, I appreciate it. Would be pretty simple to add a hydronic heater (I wish Espar’s were a bit cheaper) to the loop to heat the coolant up without running the truck if you wanted to make this usable for mornings where you didn’t have access to your excess engine heat. Could also plumb in a insulated hot water tank/calorifier to store the thermal mass for a longer period of time.

—-

I just re-read your earlier posts. You could probably program a hydronic heater to start and stop based on system set points to keep your insulated tank full of warm water instead of programming some remote start logic. The problem is that those heaters are pretty pricey. I found myself researching this for quite a while last night. Good luck!

Old 12-24-2018, 11:47 AM
sideburnie
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RPhil
Awesome, thanks for the information, I appreciate it. Would be pretty simple to add a hydronic heater (I wish Espar’s were a bit cheaper) to the loop to heat the coolant up without running the truck if you wanted to make this usable for mornings where you didn’t have access to your excess engine heat. Could also plumb in a insulated hot water tank/calorifier to store the thermal mass for a longer period of time.

—-

I just re-read your earlier posts. You could probably program a hydronic heater to start and stop based on system set points to keep your insulated tank full of warm water instead of programming some remote start logic. The problem is that those heaters are pretty pricey. I found myself researching this for quite a while last night. Good luck!
Yeah, I've had my eye on the small espar and webasto hydronic heaters for a while now. There are even ~500 dollar chinese knockoffs now, even with petrol versions. The thing is I kinda want to keep one fuel source for everything I use (dirt bike, generator, truck, heat). I even thought about using unleaded in a multi-fuel stove, but quickly decided I'm not trying to die of benzene-induced cancer (or whatever) any time soon, so I'm going to stick to induction hot plates with a white gas stove backup for now.

I have mixed feelings about falling asleep with even-a-german-engineered gasoline-powered heater running somewhere underneath me while I sleep. I think I'd be ok with a diesel or propane one, but I guess that's about where I draw the line? The local webasto dealer even called the petrol ones "accidental-fire-machines". Also, they have issues with coke build up when run at low heat (which I would want to do), and apparently only espar sells a high-altitude kit (and even that, at a cool ~$400 for what is probably a barometric pressure sensor, $1 micro, and a switch, 1) doesn't work above 10k feet, and 2) only works with the hydronic 2 line, not the hydronic 3 line).

Thus my interest in the remote-start route. Lately though, I've been leaning towards just adding just a little bit of electric heat to keep things above freezing, and/or just building my own gasoline powered hot water circulator (with a multi-fuel stove and a radiator) that runs some distance from the vehicle just for the rear heater core (without the hot water tank).

Old 12-26-2018, 11:58 AM
RPhil
Mountain Pass
Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by sideburnie
Yeah, I've had my eye on the small espar and webasto hydronic heaters for a while now. There are even ~500 dollar chinese knockoffs now, even with petrol versions. The thing is I kinda want to keep one fuel source for everything I use (dirt bike, generator, truck, heat). I even thought about using unleaded in a multi-fuel stove, but quickly decided I'm not trying to die of benzene-induced cancer (or whatever) any time soon, so I'm going to stick to induction hot plates with a white gas stove backup for now.

I have mixed feelings about falling asleep with even-a-german-engineered gasoline-powered heater running somewhere underneath me while I sleep. I think I'd be ok with a diesel or propane one, but I guess that's about where I draw the line? The local webasto dealer even called the petrol ones "accidental-fire-machines". Also, they have issues with coke build up when run at low heat (which I would want to do), and apparently only espar sells a high-altitude kit (and even that, at a cool ~$400 for what is probably a barometric pressure sensor, $1 micro, and a switch, 1) doesn't work above 10k feet, and 2) only works with the hydronic 2 line, not the hydronic 3 line).

Thus my interest in the remote-start route. Lately though, I've been leaning towards just adding just a little bit of electric heat to keep things above freezing, and/or just building my own gasoline powered hot water circulator (with a multi-fuel stove and a radiator) that runs some distance from the vehicle just for the rear heater core (without the hot water tank).
The hydronic heater setup is out of my budget for now, but still fun to think about.

I am going to install a version similar to yours. However, I am considering tapping into the rear HVAC coolant lines. Then to decide whether or not I want a hot water holding tank (with recirculating pump that can be turned on while driving) to store some hot water for the next morning. Currently going back and forth on keeping it as simple as possible or letting my ideas snowball.

Does anyone happen to have the coolant circuit diagram for the Excursion in its entirety (including rear)?

Old 01-30-2019, 02:01 AM
sideburnie
5th Wheeling
For those wondering about using the Ex heater cores for hydronic heating: I pulled the lower dash panel off the passenger side to look at the re-circulation door. It is open (and the blower fan pulls air from inside the car) when the controls are set to "Off" and/or "Max AC". All other settings leave the door closed (and the blower pulls air from outside the car). The door appears to be electrically controlled (vs by vacuum), because when I shut the car off it never changed state from open--> closed or closed-->open. (That said, I'm pretty inexperienced with vacuum controls and this could be something easy to do with some kind of vacuum motor? Also, the door actuator kind of looks like a vacuum motor, to be honest...)

Question for the experts on here: Is there another vacuum/electric actuated door hidden under the plastic rain catch thing covering the windshield wipers? The channel that carries air is completely closed off (encased in steel) on the passenger side where the blower connects, and even shining a flashlight down it from the driver's side (where it's open on the top side), I'm unable to tell if there's a door inside (to allow or block outside air when set to "Off" and "Max AC"). If there is a door, I think I'd like to make sure that this door is closed when running hot coolant through my heater cores and manually driving my blower motors with motor drivers off coach batteries.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:58 PM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Very cool addition to your rig @sideburnie ! Reps!

Old 02-01-2019, 09:24 AM
sideburnie
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by EXSwap
Very cool addition to your rig @sideburnie ! Reps!
Thanks! I'll update once I finish the hydronic piece. It'll probably be similarly hacked together.