94-96 E-series 4-wheel ABS Codes - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

94-96 E-series 4-wheel ABS Codes

Old 11-11-2018, 07:00 PM
TimothyOnline
New User
TimothyOnline is starting off with a positive reputation.
94-96 E-series 4-wheel ABS Codes

The 1994, 1995 and 1996 model years of the Ford E-series vans feature an optional Kelsey-Hayes EBC-5 4-wheel ABS system consisting of:
  • ECU (control module), a big black box located under the driver's door (near the fuel filter):
  • HCU (pump + solenoids), a big, heavy, shiny metal block w/ brake lines coming in the front & out the back located under the driver's door
  • Three wheel sensors (despite the name this system only has three channels):
    • LF wheel sensor
    • RF wheel sensor
    • Differential speed sensor
When the ABS lamp illuminates, pulling the codes is vastly different from other vans of this period. The codes are accessible only via the ABS ECU connector, which is located on the LH side of the engine bay (driver's side in North & South America and mainland Europe) between the vehicle battery and the LH fender. On vans w/ EEC-IV-managed engines (like my '94 E-150 w/ its gasoline 351 Windsor) it can be found near the EEC-IV (PCM / main computer) connector. It is a round connector with a square-sided top and four pins: the signal pin is the top-left one (its wire is black/orange).

(special thanks to FORDF250HDXLT)

NOTES:
  • On the 4-wheel ABS system, there is *NO* under-the-dash connector w/ orange and black wires; that is for the standard rear ABS system only.
  • Other connectors similar in appearance to the ABS ECU connector exist under the hood; make sure you are connecting to the correct one in between the battery and the LH fender.
A technician-grade scan tool either from that era (most affordable option) or newer is required to pull the codes. As good of a friend as your buddy might be, the cheap-o OBD2 scanner he bought off eBay or from Harbor Freight will not suffice. Some examples of compatible scanners are:
  • Snap-On SOLUS Pro (less-than-new; $545-1000):

*MAKE SURE IT INCLUDES A FORD-4 ADAPTER*

(special thanks to Fords4Me)
  • Hickok New Generation Star (outdated dealer-level scan tool; $700 off eBay; pipe dream)
  • Snap-On MT2500...

...w/:
    • FORD-4 adapter (red, black & green wires coming off w/ power port on side):
    • appropriate primary cartridge:
    • appropriate troubleshooting cartridge:
("big red brick"; what I own; can be had off eBay for $200-500)

Follow the tool's provided instructions on iterating through KOEO, KOER and CM stages as well as pulling live speed sensor data during a test drive.

I'm posting this because there is *NO* information available *ANYWHERE* on the public web with regards to this niche ABS system implementation.

Further Reading:Tags: F4UA-2C219-BG, ALB1389M, MT2500-70, MT25001099, Kelsey-Hayes, EBC-5
(special thanks to Fords4Me)
(special thanks to AA1Car)

Last edited by TimothyOnline; 12-18-2018 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Amended EEC-IV info out of consideration for vehicles w/ EEC-V-mgd. engines ('94 vehicles w/ IDI diesels; all '95+ diesels)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:02 AM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Thanks for the message, and the post! Added to tech folder.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:18 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Reps sent---this is probably VERY valuable info for a lot of E-Series owners!

Old 11-13-2018, 11:45 PM
TimothyOnline
New User
This problem plagued me for a good month or two. It only affects a few trims of a few years of the E-series. I wanted to make sure nobody was as bewildered as I was ever again.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:43 AM
TimothyOnline
New User

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.