Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Head Steering Box

Old 11-08-2018, 07:50 PM
mason55
Senior User
mason55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Red Head Steering Box

Ok since the "Blue Top" steering gears seem to be sold out due to not having any cores to rebuild...I am now leaning towards getting the Red Head steering box as I need to make a move on this project. However I have read some reviews and quite honestly am stuck on my decision on what to do? Any feedback from y'all will really help my decision on this matter. I know that they must sell hundreds if thousands of these a year and there is bound to be a few that don't make the cut. I just don't wanna be one that gets the "dud" that either leaks or is just plain out bad. Thanks in advance Mason

Old 11-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Mason,
West Texas Offroad can rebuild your box, even port it should you decide to go with hydro assist. I had them port my PSC gear box on my Jeep. Turn around was about 7 days including the weekend. They do outstanding work and you won’t have to worry about a “dud”.

https://westtexasoffroad.wixsite.com/wtor

Old 11-08-2018, 10:46 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post
Hey Mason,
West Texas Offroad can rebuild your box, even port it should you decide to go with hydro assist. I had them port my PSC gear box on my Jeep. Turn around was about 7 days including the weekend. They do outstanding work and you won’t have to worry about a “dud”.

This should be the go to option if you can have the truck down for a week.

I will not be a Red Head customer due to their core charge policy (read the fine print) and seemingly diminishing quality control.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:47 AM
akcooper9
Elder User
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post
Hey Mason,

Another fan here of WTOR. They rebuilt my box, ported and tapped it etc and I went ahead and installed ram assist steering while i was there. Very satisfied.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:39 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Alternatively, if you absolutely cannot have your truck down for a week, you can get on Car-Part.com and locate a salvage core for not much money ($50-$75). Once you find it, call or email the salvage yard with the part and have them verify the spline count to make sure it matches what you have, order and pay for the part and have it shipped. I bet you could even have it shipped directly to Blue-Top to your attention, and have them rebuild that core and then ship it to you. It would increase the cost by up to maybe $100, but there are lots of the steering boxes available.

Just another way to skin the cat.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
I have used car-part.com at least once with great results.

I was 500 miles from home and noticed one of my rims was cracked. I sourced an OEM rim for $60 from car-part.com from a salvage yard 15 miles from where we were camped. Had the tire remounted on the new to me rim, was a great experience.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:55 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
I am 100% happy with my Red Head after 6-1/2 years now

Old 11-10-2018, 03:23 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
"I am 100% happy with my Red Head after 6-1/2 years now"

I am as well but it was purchased a few years ago also.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:05 AM
Mike321
Junior User
Mike321 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm in the market for a replacement steering box and I've never heard of "Blue Top". There are too many things wrong with their website, I would never let them touch my steering box. The copyright date of their website was last updated in 2011.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.