Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Eddie Motorsports flip top fuel fill

Gas nozzle in the fill for test fit

Old 05-19-2021, 07:24 PM
69 Crewcab
Tuned
The fuel fill is vented and the fuel pump is set up with 3 #6 AN fittings. Fuel out. Return. And vent. The fuel fill had a 2” nipple and the tank had an 1-3/4 nipple . So I put a short hose from the fill to a an adapter from 2 to 1-3/4 . For the tank vent I am going to weld a #6 AN 90 degree fitting onto the adapter.

2” to 1-3/4 and #6 AN for vent

Old 05-19-2021, 07:29 PM
69 Crewcab
Tuned

Pump has all #6 an fittings
This should give me a clean and simple fuel set up. I will run a hard pipe from the bed side to the frame rail with a short rubber hose to connect at the tank. The hard pipe cross over will protect from road debris thrown up from the tires and I will be able to make a bracket to attach it to the fender brace for support

Old 05-20-2021, 06:05 AM
Lrrr-RulerOfOmicronP
Laughing Gas
Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts
I have my filler there with a different style cap. I have ran into some gas pump nozzles that do not fit well. It looks like your cap allows more clearance.

I would run a larger line for the filler vent. I think mine is 5/8. You could probably add an o-ring style bulkhead fitting on the take if need. You may not need the large line at all though.

Truck is looking great!

Old 05-20-2021, 06:14 PM
69 Crewcab
Tuned
Lrrr-Ruler
Your tank install was the inspiration for my tank relocation. I have never liked the in cab tanks in my other single cab trucks. In the crew cab the space for the tank will end up being the location of the rear AC unit and 2 small sub woofers. I knew I would need a larger tank to feed 505 Cubes of thirsty FE. I was looking for alternative tanks or tank locations when I came across your build.

Thanks for the inspiration and some of the parts to look for. And thanks for the compliment!

Old 05-20-2021, 08:44 PM
Lrrr-RulerOfOmicronP
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 69 Crewcab
Lrrr-Ruler
Your tank install was the inspiration for my tank relocation. I have never liked the in cab tanks in my other single cab trucks. In the crew cab the space for the tank will end up being the location of the rear AC unit and 2 small sub woofers. I knew I would need a larger tank to feed 505 Cubes of thirsty FE. I was looking for alternative tanks or tank locations when I came across your build.

Thanks for the inspiration and some of the parts to look for. And thanks for the compliment!
Glad it was helpful! I got a lot of the basics info from other builds on this forum. I like that you found a plastic tank. I guess I picked a loud fuel pump and the metal tank just amplifies it. I may switch to a different tank and pump at some point.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:28 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by 69 Crewcab
Lrrr-Ruler

Just a heads up, my beast only gets 5-6 mpg. My 31g suburban tank will only take a 28 gallon fill, that is running down till it cuts out going around corners from fuel slosh. 28*5 = 140 mile range
I believe you plan to use a manual 5 sp? if so you will get better mileage. Did I read you were going to run a transfer tanks also? I plan to add 2nd tank in bed at some point, probably another 30g+.

Originally Posted by Lrrr-RulerOfOmicronP
Glad it was helpful! I got a lot of the basics info from other builds on this forum. I like that you found a plastic tank. I guess I picked a loud fuel pump and the metal tank just amplifies it. I may switch to a different tank and pump at some point.
I use metal tank and 340l pump is nice and quiet. Can't really hear it. Holley sniper re-branded pump.
And thanks again for documenting and sharing your fuel tank and line recipy with us.

Old 05-21-2021, 03:17 PM
69 Crewcab
Tuned
[QUOTE=smoky_diesel;19891733]Just a heads up, my beast only gets 5-6 mpg. My 31g suburban tank will only take a 28 gallon fill, that is running down till it cuts out going around corners from fuel slosh. 28*5 = 140 mile range
I believe you plan to use a manual 5 sp? if so you will get better mileage. Did I read you were going to run a transfer tanks also? I plan to add 2nd tank in bed at some point, probably another 30g+.

Justin
I am running an NV 4500 with a 5.61 1st gear 3.04 2nd 1.67 3rd 1.0 4th and .73 5th overdrive coupled with 4.10 axles I believe that will give me 2.99 final drive which should help drastically with mileage. ( If I keep my foot out of it. Which is not likely ! Smiles per Gallon !! ) I still don't want to suffer from range anxiety so I plan on building a tank. I will be running a tool box in the back so I will make a custom tank that fits the space under the box and uptight to the sides and wheel housings. I plan on making a 2 compartment tank with an electric valve to refill to main tank and a separate diesel transfer tank and pump to fuel my equipment . I am shooting for 30gallons of gas and 40 or so of diesel , but I haven't run any volume calculations yet so we will see.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:32 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts
I assuming you will have some trouble keeping your 'foot out of it' after building such a bad ***** of an FE! When is projected start up date?

Old 08-05-2021, 08:24 PM
69 Crewcab
Tuned
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel
I assuming you will have some trouble keeping your 'foot out of it' after building such a bad ***** of an FE! When is projected start up date?
Justin
I have been crazy busy at work and have had very little time to work on the truck or document the work. But I have still been able to squeeze in a little FUN work.
The motor should be 100% soon. I should have it on a Dyno at the end of August or beginning of September.
I have still been tinkering with other things as time has permitted . I traded my old full race heads for a fully built Dana 70 rear end with disc brakes and limited slip. I have installed 2018 rear springs with Battle Born Brakes spring hanger kit (which I cut up and modified at the rear to suit my build) The springs are almost a foot longer than stock have the same capacity with 2 springs and an overload instead of a pack of 12 springs and will ride much smoother. I will hang the axle as soon as I source or build replacement riser blocks. The old springs are 2-1/2 wide and the new are 3” wide requiring different risers.

Here is something that I am workin on that many will hate and many will love. I am working on installing 2020 GMC 2500 Tow mirrors on my truck!!!!
I plan on my truck being a daily driver and I plan on towing with it and so I’ve been looking for modern mirrors that you can adjust from inside and will power telescope and power fold. All modern mirrors have been mounted to the door where the wing window used to be until 2019. And in 2019 GMC and Chevy started mounting mirrors at the body line below the window meaning that you could have a modern mirror without blocking your wing window. As soon as I saw those mirrors I said I’m gonna put them on my truck!!
While cruising through this forum I ran across a build by Highandtight. he mounted newer Dodge tow mirrors on his truck by welding a plate and blocking off part of the wing window. It turned out looking very nice but I didn’t want to block my wing window add these new mirrors let me install modern mirrors without blocking the wing window.
when I have a little more time I will post some of the pictures of what little work I’ve been able to accomplish while I’ve been so busy at work

The following 2 users liked this post by 69 Crewcab:
Old 08-06-2021, 06:38 PM
69 Crewcab
Tuned
Modern tow mirrors on old truck. Love it. Or. Hate it ?

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-06-2021, 06:54 PM
69 Crewcab
Tuned
I am doing mock up on a door which I will not be using for the build. According to my many measurements and calculations the door skin and the mirror mount surface are only 2 degrees different in angle to have the arm of the mirror be truly horizontal. The curvature of the door skin and the mount are the same. This mirror does not mount to the door skin so I will have to make a mounting plate inside the door. I will adjust that to compensate for the 2 degree difference.(I hope). The mount just misses the dooor hinge box and the wing window fortunately . Once I have the mirror mounted I will hang the door on the truck to see if I like the position before hacking into the doors that are going on the truck.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:16 PM
Lrrr-RulerOfOmicronP
Laughing Gas
I have to lean forward and look around my driver west coast Jr mirror every time I pull up to a stop sign because it creates a huge blind spot so I definitely see how newer style mirrors can be nice. The look may grow on me and it is hard to tell without the rest of the truck for scale. They do look like they would be great for towing.

​​​​

Old 08-12-2021, 05:53 PM
69 Crewcab
Tuned
I made some progress on installing the 2020 GMC mirrors. The mirrors don’t mount to the door skin they mount several inches inside. So I fabricated a bracket to bolt the mirrors to. Super tricky with many many many many many measurements.

The mirror mount bracket

Quick Reply: 1969 Crewcab 4x4 build