Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Dealers add TBC to '18+ yet?

Old 11-03-2018, 12:51 PM
diesel_dan
Post Fiend
diesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud of
Can Dealers add TBC to '18+ yet?

Your helpful threads have already told me it is possible to DIY install the TBC on 2018s on up, which are different than previous model years. My question is has anyone gotten a dealer to do it to either make the sale or after you bought it?

Thanks for all your help, btw...

Scott

Old 11-03-2018, 05:10 PM
Lariat18
Freshman User
Lariat18 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not sure what trim level your looking at, but I just purchased a 2018 XLT 3.5 EB with max trailer tow package, which included the TBC.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Wassup8687
Freshman User
Wassup8687 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I was at my dealer a month or so ago the dealer had just added it to a truck in their shop.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:03 PM
diesel_dan
Post Fiend
diesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud of
So I go look at the truck tomorrow... Dealing with a "Sales Manager" -- it's an XL with upgrades, btw... Have seen where Ford is coming out with a fix that doesn't require a change-out of the Fuse Box, so maybe they put the old box in later '18s, as this one is...? Would like to get them to commit to enabling and installing a factory TBC unit, so one way or the other this will be a negotiating point....

Thanks,
Scott

Old 11-04-2018, 12:09 AM
JKBrad
Postmaster
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
Is there something special about that truck? Maybe try to find one already equipped to your needs.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:20 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
There is a service action that instead of the replacement fusebox they can do a fuse tap to save the customer some money. It's still not cheap, it's right around 300 in parts and 1.5 hours shop rate. Plan on 500 or so to add TBC to a non TBC equipped truck. I suggest finding a truck with the base tow and TBC or max tow.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:19 AM
TheGalacticSkull
Junior User
TheGalacticSkull is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Scott,
Hereís a video on adding the TBC to an F150 equipped with the trailering package. It appears that the wiring harness is already there.

once setup, likely looking at a Forscan update to the trucks computer...as seen elsewhere on the forum.

Iím going to need to do this as well. if you search Tasca Parts dot com, They sell the TBC controller for less than 90 bucks.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:23 AM
diesel_dan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JKBrad View Post
Is there something special about that truck? Maybe try to find one already equipped to your needs.
Yes, He only wants black and a short bed supercab, 2.7 EB with 3.55 E locker, plus the appearance and interior groups: STX and Sport - they just aren't around. There's another one 130 miles away but they are sticking to a pretty high price and have more options than he needs. We're going to a large dealer, he might be able to locate one... Or we could pay a LOT more an order a '19...

Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
There is a service action that instead of the replacement fusebox they can do a fuse tap to save the customer some money. It's still not cheap, it's right around 300 in parts and 1.5 hours shop rate. Plan on 500 or so to add TBC to a non TBC equipped truck. I suggest finding a truck with the base tow and TBC or max tow.
Thanks I found that yesterday: SSM 47320 -- I'm taking the info to the dealer with us and see if they'll do it - would prefer it stay under warranty, vs. DIY and maybe have a problem?

Thanks for the help guys,
Scott

Old 11-04-2018, 11:27 AM
diesel_dan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TheGalacticSkull View Post
Hey Scott,
Hereís a video on adding the TBC to an F150 equipped with the trailering package. It appears that the wiring harness is already there.

once setup, likely looking at a Forscan update to the trucks computer...as seen elsewhere on the forum.

Iím going to need to do this as well. if you search Tasca Parts dot com, They sell the TBC controller for less than 90 bucks.

https://youtu.be/XnhedTESYLo
I've watched a number of those: the key is do you have the 30Amp fuse in slot 24 in the Battery Junction Box, otherwise you need to get power there on mid '18s. I'm wondering if they changed to the old BJB by the end of the '18s run...? First thing I'll check today...

Thanks,
Scott

Old 11-04-2018, 09:55 PM
diesel_dan
Post Fiend
So I'm closing this thread out with the answer. We bought a Late Build 2018 today - Build was Sept of 2018. Ford has started putting the Battery Junction Box that has the 30A fuse in slot 24 back in the F150s, at least anything with a tow package or even the hitch, don't know if it is ALL (as in a base XL will have it) or just those with some sort of tow option. My bet is they went back to all. I suspected this might be the case after reading: Ford SSM 47320, which instructs dealers to no longer replace the BJB for folks that wanted a factory or after market trailer brake controller installed, after the fact, but instead use a new Ford work-around wiring loom to give power to the TBC plug.

Our truck had the 24 BJB slot with a 30A fuse in it, so other than needing to get the '18 version of the ITBC, it's back to what folks have been doing in previous years, or asking their dealer to do... Plug and Play and enable via PCM update...

Thought you all should know what I found personally...

Thanks for everyone's help!

Scott

Old 11-04-2018, 11:22 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
The 2019 part breakdowns are showing a different SJB for non trailer tow package trucks still. Also worth mentioning is trucks without the led bed lights are missing the extra wiring in the cab and that shows a different harness. I believe ford will maintain these parts for low optioned trucks and fleets as it only makes sense. It's so rare these days to see a truck without a tow package most people should have the fuse in spot 24 and be able to add the TBC just fine or add the jumper. Also word of caution the 2015-2017 TBC has a different part number for the TBC and the 18+ can not use the old style. Make sure you get the correct part numbers.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:40 AM
diesel_dan
Post Fiend
Good intell. as usual - it would be cost prohibitive to have different or custom wiring harnesses, unless there were masses ordered as base models... But swapping out the BJB that enables that harness part? I guess I could see that...

Interesting note was a long time sales person at the dealership came by when we were waiting on final delivery and said the Optioned Up XL was the best value going -- so maybe Ford is trying to make that less so appealing??

Dunno, just know what WE got is a rippin' truck...!

Scott

Old 01-19-2019, 06:02 PM
diesel_dan
Post Fiend
I Never truly closed out this thread (as in what finally happened). My friend bought the TBC unit online for like $90 delivered (Ford packaged part) #GL3Z-2006-CB or JL3Z-2C006-AA and installed it the "hard way" method where you take most of center dash apart, but minimizes probability of breaking tabs, etc...

And I bought This cable for Forscan off Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

And then Downloaded the required Driver to talk to my Win7 laptop. AND upgraded my Forscan to a temporary developers license. And from the videos and whatnot, wrote down these steps, that really should be in your guys' Tech Section:

Need to load drivers and upgrade (free) to Forscan Developer's License

Connect cable to Truck and PC, run Forscan Only on laptop and turn Key to On in Truck

(Forscan will do all the connection stuff automatically, and ask you if you have a switch for CanBus speed) - Note, in the Cable instructions, follow the picture for the VINT module for switch setting!
Under Chip Icon
Select IPC Module Configuration (blank)
Hit Play symbol
Select Trailer Brake Control Module
click on Edit Selected box
Select Enable
Hit OK
Click on Write box
Say Yes when prompted do you want to do this?

Should tell you to cycle key off and then on again.
Select OK and Done.

Then Do Same for Trailer Brake Controller Gain Setting.

(and we did a number of other Enabling and Disabling of things while in here, btw!)

After all done Hit Stop.

All the Best my F150 friends!
Scott

Old 01-19-2019, 06:11 PM
Trucku2
New User
Trucku2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'll be trying to tackle this on my 18 shortly.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:36 PM
Destroked 450
Posting Guru
Destroked 450 has a very good reputation on FTE.Destroked 450 has a very good reputation on FTE.Destroked 450 has a very good reputation on FTE.Destroked 450 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Glad my XL based STX came with the optional tow package and TBC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: