Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catastrophic Failure

Old 10-30-2018, 04:02 PM
ms1780
Senior User
ms1780 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Catastrophic Failure

I was pulling about 12k last week down a flat 4 lane highway. Truck only wanted to run about 60 on the +50 tune to keep egts around 1200 so that's what I ran. I went about 40 miles and took my exit. When the truck came to idle there was a horrible engine clatter and white smoke. I limped the truck to a shop just about a block up the road. They had AE and it scanned two bad injectors but it has a mix of oil and coolant running out of the driver's side manifold. They think it has a blown head gasket as well as several failed injectors. I have no reason to doubt them but I wanted to get some opinions from here. Would you replace the head gaskets and injectors or try to find an engine to swap? This truck has had issues since I got it a couple months ago. It's a dog and wouldn't pull 10k lbs for crap. The truck is 5 hours from me so diognosing it myself is not possible. Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:45 PM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Head gasket failure is rare on these engines.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear about all of that. What are you going to do, have it worked on out there or get it towed home? Either way this is going to be expensive.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:33 PM
ms1780
Senior User
I'm leaning toward having it fixed down there. Since it has a long flat bed and it's loaded it would cost about $1200 to get it home. Book hours are 18 to do head gaskets on a 99 7.3. Either way I'm in deep and it's not going to be cheap.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:50 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
As stated above head gaskets are not a likely candidate. Not impossible, just unlikely. Since the truck is fairly new to you and never ran right I shudder at the thought of what you are going to find. Since one side is showing problems that makes that part easy and you'll find what you find once the head is off. I do not know if injector O rings or cracked cups would cause your symptoms.

And I would only mess with one side if the other one is not causing trouble.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:59 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Perhaps post your location or where the truck is and someone might know of a good shop in the area.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:11 PM
ms1780
Senior User
The truck is near Walnut Ridge, AR. I'm pretty confident in the shop it's at, I just hate to spend much money. They are going to pull the injectors on the driver's side and check the injector cups for failure first.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:14 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ms1780 View Post
The truck is near Walnut Ridge, AR. I'm pretty confident in the shop it's at, I just hate to spend much money. They are going to pull the injectors on the driver's side and check the injector cups for failure first.
Their approach is sensible, that is a good start.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:26 PM
ms1780
Senior User
When you pull up to the shop and both mechanics are driving 7.3's with over 300k it makes you feel a little better.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:37 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
I believe you said that you have oil and water mixing discharging from the drivers side. Just so happens, the oil cooler is located in same location. Perhaps, it shot an oring and conclusion is what the shops seeing.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:53 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ms1780 View Post
When you pull up to the shop and both mechanics are driving 7.3's with over 300k it makes you feel a little better.
Absolutely. Best of luck brother!

Old 10-30-2018, 11:29 PM
ms1780
Senior User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
I believe you said that you have oil and water mixing discharging from the drivers side. Just so happens, the oil cooler is located in same location. Perhaps, it shot an oring and conclusion is what the shops seeing.
That could certainly be possible. They're going to pressurize the coolant system late this week or early next week and find the culprit. Thanks for the info. I sure wish the truck was home so I could troubleshoot it but that's just not in the cards. Way too expensive to tow it.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:28 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
I tend to agree with timmyboy. It is at least a good place to start looking and is not nearly as involved and expensive as an R&R of a head.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:33 AM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
A compression check should give you some information as well.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:35 PM
ms1780
Senior User
They pulled the injectors out of the driver's side today. One of them was completely loose and the tip is totally black. They are going to put new injector cups in that side and replace the one injector and pressure check the coolant side again. I'm also having them check the fuel pressure u der load and the ebpv sensor and tube. I am willing to bet the prescreen on the in tank lift pump are full of crap and I have a fuel starvation issue when pulling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.