1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What injectors are best for running with TS chip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 04:13 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wesley's got your answer. I wouldn't bother with 30's. You could do 100% but they are better suited to larger injectors, or high rpm.

Cleatus12r is a wealth of knowledge on this subject. You might look him up.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:19 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't bother with a TS chip, get a Hydra. The first time you have to pull it out to reburn it you will regret ever buying it in the first place. Hydra is far superior and tuners offer the same tunes for both.

Also, new injectors will make a big difference in how it runs but don't expect too much. Even with 800+ ft lbs of torque that big old motor still has to move 7,000+ lbs of steel sitting atop a farm tractor suspension.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:02 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Byerkie
thats what im shooting for, currently i have original injectors and i think some are on the way out so instead of replacing with stock why not spend the extra $400-$500 for better ones.
I'm getting about 1 mpg more with my 160l80s than with my stock injectors. I do think that my injectors being old and tired contributed to that, especially since I went with new injectors instead of remanufactured.

Originally Posted by Wesley Green
The holes at the tips of injectors, 30% larger than stock, vs 80% 0 would give you better atomization, but slower to dump a full injector of fuel.
30% nozzles are just "ported" stock nozzles, 80% is a new nozzle that actually comes that size to begin with. Tune writers prefer 80% because they are consistent to tune for while 30% depends on who ported the nozzle so results can be inconsistent with the same tune on different trucks' injectors
These are a couple of the reasons that factored into my decision for 80% nozzles.

Originally Posted by beef ****
Don't bother with a TS chip, get a Hydra. The first time you have to pull it out to reburn it you will regret ever buying it in the first place. Hydra is far superior and tuners offer the same tunes for both.
If you are already diving in for injectors the Hydra is not an expensive addition if you consider the overall price to upgrade your injectors. Just looking at the price by itself, though, it is a pretty penny especially since you already have a 6 position chip.

As beef **** mentioned, it is very convenient to have something you can update in your driveway (Hydra, F6, etc.) to prevent any down time. Mine is my daily driver so I couldn't afford to have my truck down for a week every time I needed/wanted a revision to the current tunes loaded.

With a new setup there are always growing pains. Some setups take longer to sort out than others. I'm pretty happy with mine right now and it's been about 6 months to dial things in to an acceptable range. I've got about 14 tunes or so and I'll probably end up only using 3 or 4 on a regular basis. The rest might get used on a rare occasion or probably never again.

I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it with all of the changes I've done (revisions, tune order, etc.) and not suffered any down time (again...my daily driver). If it was my weekend truck that I didn't drive every day I might have kept my 6 position chip. I'm not a racer or need a tune for every different driving situation. I was happy with 6 tunes before and I'll end up with less than that for how many I use now (currently only using 2 mainly). If you can suffer down time off and on for a few months it might be something to consider if you think that the price might break your wallet. $300+ plus the cost of tunes (the default PHP library is out of the question for single shots...it's all "custom tunes" once you start down that road) is nothing to sneeze at.

Originally Posted by beef ****
Also, new injectors will make a big difference in how it runs but don't expect too much. Even with 800+ ft lbs of torque that big old motor still has to move 7,000+ lbs of steel sitting atop a farm tractor suspension.
Definitely. My truck is not much quicker (if at all) compared to my original injectors with tunes, but it is a helluva lot stronger.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:46 PM
mcnance865
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42
$300+ plus the cost of tunes (the default PHP library is out of the question for single shots...it's all "custom tunes" once you start down that road) is nothing to sneeze at.
Keep in mind that basically all of the tuners will include a set of custom tunes when you buy injectors.
1) Buy injectors and hydra and get a free set of tunes
2) Buy injectors and send in your TS6 for a free reburn

Option 1 is most definitely the recommended course.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:54 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by mcnance865
Keep in mind that basically all of the tuners will include a set of custom tunes when you buy injectors.
1) Buy injectors and hydra and get a free set of tunes
2) Buy injectors and send in your TS6 for a free reburn

Option 1 is most definitely the recommended course.
When I was shopping for injectors last year I did not come across any free tunes for injectors. I did buy a bundle so I saved some $$ on the tunes but nothing I was considering had free tunes with it.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:56 AM
Dude-Ford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo

so will swamps and others with purchase of the injectors.
I am a satisfied and happy customer of Swamps.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:01 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Swamps was one of the three I was considering. Since I knew I was getting a Hydra I didn't pay very close attention to the chip reburns. I thought that meant they would reburn it for free with whatever tunes you bought. Now I know.